The 4034 knives are starting to roll out. First real world testing shows promising results

Sorry , just now did that ,:)and still don't know what your point was . 🧠 ?

Maybe my brain is just exhausted for all my ranting ? 🥴

I wonder if I even had a "point"... I was just asking a question. 🙂

I have a few folders made with AUS-8 and AUS-10; I'm liking them a lot, and I always see many people praising them. So I said they are cheaper steels (see post #13 in this thread), but quite good nonetheless.

And my question was: "How they (AUS-8 and AUS-10) compare with the 4034?"

I hear nothing but praise when it comes to AUS-8 or AUS-10. They say they're cheaper steels, but quite good nonetheless: fair retention, easy to sharp, tough enough for most tasks. Both were extensively used by Cold Steel.

How they compare with the 4034?

It was not a weird or inappropriate question, it seems:

While some might not like it, there would be less of an issue if they used AUS8.

That's it, my friend. Keep well and enjoy your blades! I will recycle my English before making any other post. Apparently my English isn't good enough, which is bad because nowadays every single word seems to be offensive in any way. :thumbsup:

I wonder if I even had a "point"... I was just asking a question. 🙂

I have a few folders made with AUS-8 and AUS-10; I'm liking them a lot, and I always see many people praising them. So I said they are cheaper steels (see post #13 in this thread), but quite good nonetheless.

And my question was: "How they (AUS-8 and AUS-10) compare with the 4034?"

It was not a weird or inappropriate question, it seems:

That's it, my friend. Keep well and enjoy your blades! I will recycle my English before making any other post. Apparently my English isn't good enough, which is bad because nowadays every single word seems to be offensive in any way. :thumbsup:
Sorry if I got the wrong impression . :)😔

I paid $120 for my Becker BK21 and it is excellent, and I have positively ZERO concerns or worries with it's 1095 CroVan. It's time proven and produces excellent results.

The Kukri Plus 4034 is a hard sell at that price range with it's , as of now, mystery steel, I really think $150 would be about as much as I would pay, and that's only if more positive reports come out.

The most frustrating part of all is there is no middle ground. It's either the 4034, or the absurd prices of the 3V. Nothing in between.
Kinda strange I don’t have a Becker BK9 yet. Already got plenty of big blades to fill that niche though. 😅

Jumpin' dingbat salad ... and wow. That looks hideously overpriced for the steel. That said, I'll await further reports and testing on durability and edge retention before completely saying nay... I know the Kershaw Camp 10 isn't a Kukri, or a Cold Steel, but I've had plenty of fun thrashing woodpiles with it for a lot cheaper price. May the Force be with this one ... maybe ...

Jumpin' dingbat salad ... and wow. That looks hideously overpriced for the steel. That said, I'll await further reports and testing on durability and edge retention before completely saying nay... I know the Kershaw Camp 10 isn't a Kukri, or a Cold Steel, but I've had plenty of fun thrashing woodpiles with it for a lot cheaper price. May the Force be with this one ... maybe ...
The Camp 10 at least has an appropriate steel for the usage, lol. Carbon spring steel will take a licking.

I think it is safe to say that Cold Steel doesn't have any magical super secret techniques that allow them to turn bottom tier liner steel into something special that deservedly commands top prices. A Honda isn't a Ferrari even if you swap out the badges and drive it around the same track.

It is NICE that this knife didn't explode during this test, but thats like a politician boasting that he didn't tell any lies that day. It's nice, but really shouldn't be something to celebrate. The fact that anyone even wondered if it might break, or seems surprised it did not, says it all.

This is rightfully a $50 tool, and then only if Cold Steel offered it with a quality sheath. As is, it is a cheap knife marketed to deceive innocent customers who don't know any better -- people who see the Cold Steel name and assume quality. In my opinion it is shameful.

Last edited:
About year or two ago I bought my Warcraft Tanto in CPM-3V and it's performance absolutely blew my mind. I paid 180€ or 200€ for that (I don't remember correctly), but it was on 30% discount. So OK. And right now the few last pieces range from 260€ to 300€ depending on a website

And now, I can see this 4034 "Warcraft Tanto" that'll soon be in Europe and go for... around 180€ 😂😂😂😂😂

I don't know what are they smoking there but OK.

Also, youtubers... praising this turd!?!?
It lost it's razor edge just like that! You have to sharpen this thing every 10 minutes if you're really putting it to work.
Praising it for not breaking from that is just lame. I want to see this thing torture tested to see if it bends. It won't snap for sure considering how soft it is.

It should perform leagues better than it does - considering it's price!

No matter what heat treat you put on a pot metal - it'll still be pot metal.

There's a reason why no serious manufacturer uses this crap for their knives, and why you keep seeing it on Chinese knock-offs.

While everyone is on the 4034 hate train, which most definitely includes 4 fingers pointing back at me, as I have said plenty negative regarding the steel choice, It should be noted that his further testing shows the new 4034 holding an edge better than the older Cold Steel Carbon V steel. Granted, it's just one test, one sample, but it's a start.

Cliff Stamp has shown multiple times that 'chopping wood' is a terrible test of edge retention, for modern steels. Lets see how 4034 does cutting wet carpet, or roots covered in dirt and grit, or old sisal rope. It's a junk steel, favored in the moment by consume next product hypebeast social media goons.

While everyone is on the 4034 hate train, which most definitely includes 4 fingers pointing back at me, as I have said plenty negative regarding the steel choice, It should be noted that his further testing shows the new 4034 holding an edge better than the older Cold Steel Carbon V steel. Granted, it's just one test, one sample, but it's a start.

I don't believe any of that. The only way it would hold an edge longer is if both sat on shelf for 10 years.

n2s

I think it was just a smokescreen from Lynn Thompson,to unload Coldsteel at a more attractive offering option pure business move,not saying that the steel is absolute garbage ,but a notch below 420hc

I think if you are comparing 4034 to 1095 or CarbonV you will find the 4034 to be tougher and have equal or slightly better edge retention.

I have not seen toughness levels for 4034 yet, but it is close to 420HC which is extremely tough (surprisingly much tougher than 1095). Low carbide volume, fine grain size is a recipe for toughness.

420HC, AEBL, and 14c28n are examples of this and much tougher than 1095. They are actually a bit tougher than 52100, much tougher than A2, 01, vg10 and cpm154.

People act like 1095 or carbonV have stellar toughness and edge retention, but neither is true.

1095 is 10 Foof lbs ot less in common hardness.

I have not seen toughness data for 4034 specifically, but based on its carbon content i would expect good toughness (provided a good hest treat).

I'd love to see knifesteelnerds.com get their hands on some test samples.

Now....replacing 3v with 4034 and keeping prices similar is going to be bad for business.

That same swap with a price point much lower makes more sense.

I'm not in the market for a khukri currently as I have a few in 5160 from HI, and a few others.

Last edited:
I think if you are comparing 4034 to 1095 or CarbonV you will find the 4034 to be tougher and have equal or slightly better edge retention.

I have not seen toughness levels for 4034 yet, but it is close to 420HC which is extremely tough (surprisingly much tougher than 1095). Low carbide volume, fine grain size is a recipe for toughness.

420HC, AEBL, and 14c28n are examples of this and much tougher than 1095. They are actually a bit tougher than 52100, much tougher than A2, 01, vg10 and cpm154.

I have not seen toughness data for 4034 specifically, but based on its carbon content i would expect good toughness (provided a good hest treat).

I'd love to see knifesteelnerds.com get their hands on some test samples.

Now....replacing 3v with 4034 and keeping prices similar is going to be bad for business.

That same swap with a price point much lower makes more sense.

I'm not in the market for a khukri currently as I have a few in 5160 from HI, and a few others.
If this is true , why hasn't this been done LONG before ?

A cheap stainless with great performance ?

Was it a big secret ?

I can't say you're wrong , but seems real fishy to me .:confused:

If this is true , why hasn't this been done LONG before ?

A cheap stainless with great performance ?

Was it a big secret ?

I can't say you're wrong , but seems real fishy to me .:confused:

This would mean that most major manufacturers and almost all custom makers have been lying to the public for years about cutlery steel and the steels most users and collectors think is good is just more expensive than 4034 while still inferior to it.

I seriously doubt this is the case.

Back