The 50 GEC Christmas Day Giveaway!!!

btb01

Gold Member
Ok... so I'm not giving away 50 GEC's. :D

Here's the deal:

Yesterday, as I was putting away my new Charred Barrel Oak Beer Scout after taking a few photos, I realized that I have now acquired 50 GEC knives! It's a little hard to believe, as I only bought my first one around a year and a half ago, and thanks are definitely owed to many people here for helping me acquire some of these, as well as sharing the passion and excitement that's part of what makes this hobby fun! Here they are, all together for a big family photo.

FB692FF8-C85D-4D4D-B8F5-92301819BD0E.jpg

I've known that this milestone was approaching for the last month or two. With the knives I had preordered, I had thought that the single-clip TC would be my 50th, however I didn't count on the surprise Charred Oak Beer Scout. Now, I think 50 is a nice, round number for a knife collection. But... I still have that TC coming, which will make 51, and that just won't do. :rolleyes:

So we're going to have a little giveaway. Here are the rules:

• You must be a regular contributor here on the Porch to qualify. Let's say 50 posts in Traditionals, as that seems fitting. If all your posts are in giveaways, that doesn't count.

• Post a photo of any collection of knives (preferably your knives ;)). It certainly doesn't have to be your entire collection, but if you want to, more power to you. It can also be just a photo of two knives, or five, or seventeen... however many you want, as long as it's a "collection" in some way (one brand, a pattern you like to collect, or whatever other criteria you can come up with). Feel free to explain why you enjoy collecting the knives in your photo as well.

• If you have never owned a GEC knife before, please mention that in your post and you'll get two entries.

• I will draw names from a hat on Christmas Day and announce the winner in this thread.

Feel free to discuss and comment on each other's posts. I'll be doing the drawing by name, not by post number, so there'll be no harm in posting more than once (though you'll only get one entry, with the exception of those who've never owned a GEC, as explained above).

Now, the prize. It's a bit difficult to choose which knife to giveaway, as I do like them all. That being said, I did go a little overboard on the run of #14's this summer, so the prize will be the winner's choice between the OD Green Linen Micarta and the Nifebrite Acrylic, both pictured here:

623637A4-214E-47EB-98EB-526A828211A0.jpg

7649E3BD-836B-45ED-BC33-D9F17711183B.jpg

Both knives are new in tube.

I'm looking forward to reading all of your posts, and THANK YOU to everyone here for adding so much to this hobby! It wouldn't be the same without this community!

Barrett, that looks like the Grand Prairie Knives Black Canvas Micarta SFO #14 in your picture.

Great giveaway and thank you for the chance! I didn't plan to collect the #14 pattern but I bought one and got addicted. They are a hard knife not to like.

I wouldn't mind having another #14 and I don't have either of those. Either one would be a great addition. Thanks again!

Thanks for entering, Rick! I promise, it's the OD Green. :) It looks darker in that photo than it really is. You can see the color a little better in the full collection photo, between the Nifebrite and Ebony in the top row.

Well I've never owned a GEC but have handled a few in passing.

I have a picture of my reds and my usual price range ...

tmp_21280-20160228_1456331171787587.jpg

I hope I have enough posts of quality contribution. Either way, great giveaway.

Neko2, you're in! I'm just trying to avoid those members who only post in giveaways but contribute nothing else. :)

What a great GAW and thanks for your generosity! Not an entry please, because I've benefited from GAWs before.

Do you have any patterns that you prefer above the others, that just speak to you or fit your hands or lifestyle better than others? Here's a knife I'm glad I have:

image_2.jpeg

Barrett,

I absolutely do not want any more knives, so this is not an entry. I have 14 or so GEC knives and over 100 Case knives so let's consider me "full up." I just wanted to comment that you have an exceptional collection of beautiful knives, and I just wanted to compliment you on your taste and thank you for your generous spirit to the community here.

You have good taste, and are a good person. (which upon re-reading is redundant with the previous paragraph, but bears repeating)

Regards,

John

Last edited:
Robb, that's a good looking knife! I keep thinking I need to get a Yellow Rose in some pattern. As you can probably tell from my collection, I like bare headed jack knives, particularly the #15 pattern (which is that whole row in the middle). I like the #14, and I'm curious what else GEC will do with the pattern, but in that length I think I prefer the stoutness of the #25. Those on the bottom row (from the #77's over to #72) are on the upper size limit of what I would want in a pocket knife that I will actually carry. (The #21 Mudbug is an outstanding knife, but it's more of a knife to be kept in the truck; it's never in my pocket. That's what kept me away from the #98's, although I sometimes regret not picking one up.)

John, thank you for you kind words! Feel free to share a photo of any part of your collection if you'd like, even if your post is a non-entry. :D

Thanks for the great GAW.
I've never handled a GEC, never mind owned one.

Here are some Navy Mk Is. By no means a collection, but at least a group. The flat ground on the left is a Robeson, marked USN on this side. but not quite visible in what passes for light around here lately. I used to have a saber-ground Camillus with the handle covered with marline work, which I got rid of for fear that the marline would come off and I wouldn't be able to re-knot it. The saber-ground one pictured is a Camillus repro, and the others are Westerns. I have filed down the pommel discs on all but the one on the right, which I'll leave alone, as I have plenty to use comfortably.
I particularly like the long belly and light weight of these.

121616m2.JPG

Merry Christmas, everybody, or your cultural equivalent thereof.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting up this give away! I don't have the appropriate place to lay out all my knives for a photo such as yours above. Those are great knives and that photo represents a significant amount of money invested. I'm impressed!

Anyway, I'd like to enter; I'd love to have the Nifebrite 14 to go with my Nifebrite 15 should I be fortunate enough to win this give away.

Now as to photos, I have a couple of photos of some subsets of knives in my "accumulation" which I will share. Can't call it a "collection" really as there wasn't that much rhyme and reason to it.

Here are my Gerber Silver Knights. Not the best photo but does have them all in the same photo.
DSC00056.jpg

A smaller subset of the SKs for a "poke" thread here:
knifepoker.jpg

... and a small clutch of Case Copperlocks:
copperheadfamily.jpg

I'm enjoying looking and watching this give away and would be honored to win. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Ed J

Great collection you have there! Here are some of my EDC favorites, sadly I live in a city that is always under watch and in most cases a knife isn't needed. As everyone om the forum knows though, one always needs a knife with them. While we may nor be stabbing zombies in the brain or beheading horseman, there's always a box of printer paper to unlash at work or a bag of bird food to refill the feeder. So I tend to really enjoy those 3.25"-3.5" ones the most.

Very generous of you Barrett thanks for hosting.:thumbup: WOW 50 GEC knives congratulations my friend that is definitely a milestone I have around ten. I love all kinds of knives new, old, expensive and cheap. Here's a pile of all kinds I guess I'm more of a hoarder than a collector. :D

9a31V2o.jpg

…and that photo represents a significant amount of money invested.

Just don't tell my wife! :eek: (I'm kidding, she knows, or at least has an idea. She knows about what a GEC knife costs, and she knows I have a lot. I suppose the fact that she's still letting me buy them means she probably hasn't sat down and done the math! ;))

I like that Thanksgiving Copperlock! :D

Now as to photos, I have a couple of photos of some subsets of knives in my "accumulation" which I will share. Can't call it a "collection" really as there wasn't that much rhyme and reason to it.

I love all kinds of knives new, old, expensive and cheap. Here's a pile of all kinds I guess I'm more of a hoarder than a collector. :D

I would only loosely use the term collector for myself (and hoarder might be more accurate :D). I'm not trying to complete a collection, not trying to, say, acquire every variation of the #15 ever produced (now that would be an undertaking!). I just buy what I like. I've always told myself that I want to try and carry and use these knives. Although there are certainly knives that are still new in my collection, nothing has been designated a safe queen; none of them are immune from a whim of, "I'm going to carry that one today."

Randy, in addition to GEC knives, I also try to collect a little bit of everything. Before I got into tradtitionals, before I owned any of these GEC's, I had maybe one or two Case knives, a couple Opinels, some SAK's, a Royal Ambassadors scout knife from when I was a kid (I know we've discussed that before) and an old Stockman that belonged to my grandpa. In the time that I've acquired my GEC collection, I've also been adding to the rest of my traditional collection, as well. The thing I wish I was better at buying were old knives. Most of the "old" knives I've picked up are not all that old -- some USA-made Schrades, Frontier, stuff like that. I think I have more to learn about what to look for (as well as where to look) when it comes to truly "old" pocket knives, but it's definitely something I'm interested in.

A brace of #15's.

Bob, your #15's made me realize something: I don't have any #15's with endcaps, or any spearpoint #15's. That's a good looking group, thanks for sharing!

I'm in......

Nice collection Barrett, but I'll bet you don't stop at 50 though!:D Thanks for the chance!

Here a few of my 85's.

I'd like to enter but I still can't upload pics...so I will say that's a great beginning:D to your collection. Also a very generous giveaway. You really have some enviable pieces there. I'd still like to get my hands on a STREK (the electrical version of the 15 ?) , there's even one up on the exchange at a great price, but the season has me tapped out. Or is that the year?...;)
Thanks, Neal

What a great idea for a give away! I'm in. Here's a picture of mine. I've acquired a few more since this picture, but haven't taken a full collection picture yet :)

12EAC570-DD87-4394-9692-723A7A67B485_zpssyjtatkv.jpg

Back