The 50 GEC Christmas Day Giveaway!!!

I do not have enough posts here to qualify, unfortunately, as I'm rather new to the forums in general, so this is not an attempt at an entry. However, I have very much enjoyed this sub and have been impressed with the generosity that has been displayed here time and time again. Truly a great group of guys here and I look forward to continuing to get to know you all.

That all being said, I have been bitten by the traditional bug as was bound to happen as some of you have stated to me already and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my first GEC after the holidays hopefully.

btb01, you have an incredible collection. Something for me to aspire to someday.

Thank you all for making the Porch such a terrific place to hang out and best of luck to the winner in this awesome GAW.

Was waiting for the newest member of the family to get in, before I broke every one of em out for a family picture,

with a few extras and a cousin

this what makes up my collection of 15s for now. Special thanks to Bob for gifting me that unique modified clip in ebony, to Barry for selling me the Elk in 440c, one I had been looking for, and most importantly to Charlie for his work on the SFOs and selling me that special one in the plastic bag during this years Rendezvous; which I do need to seek the original tube for since they all have tiny special variations on the art!

I'd like to commend you on a fantastic collection, and a generous give away! Which i'd like to defer entry. Thanks for the chance tho!

Well, I'm sort of new here. But I meet the criteria it seems. Almost feel guilty about entering. But ya got to start somewhere.

I have no GECs, and like someone else said. I haven't even handled one. I will edit this post when I get a shot of my four Opinels, 3 + Saw. Closest thing I have to a Traditional Folder collection.

Although I am the proud new owner of my first Case Canoe as of this week. I see this whole traditional folder thing as a slippery slope.

To hold me over until I get the Opinels up here are my Marbles. Not folders, but at least they're traditional.

Thanks for a very generous offering.
LV

Last edited:
I have never seen or used a GEC knife, but I would like to try one. I would especially like to see the green acrylic that should br easy to find if dropped.

Sorry for the terrible lighting. It went from 32 degrees yesterday to 66 degrees today. Tomorrow is supposed to be low 20s with a pretty bad storm tonight and clouds are pushing in hard.

In the off chance I win I would like to give this to a friend. Thank you for the chance.

Not all are present. I have a few at Glenn's getting a personal touch and my Buck 110 should be here Monday. Here's all the porch friendly knives I have at the moment including my daughters' Cadets.

There is a part of me that feels like I shouldn't enter since I have just recently had the great luck to win a Beer Scout in a GAW, but I can't resist a chance to win that Nifebright Acrylic... so I am in. But, I also wouldn't complain if my number came up and you decided to go to someone else. I've been lucky lately, someone else can have that luck.

I want to share a couple collection photos. The first two are actually my friend's collection that he inherited from his grandfather. The knife collection lived with me while he was deployed, and I just love sharing the photos:
Natecollection (6).JPG
The custom traditionals that I liked best out of the colelction
Natecollection (9).JPG
And the old Case knives

And here is my small traditional collection (minus my most recent Beer Scout):
20161117_222748.jpg
My collection is not big by any means, but my focus has mostly been modern folders. The traditional bug has been growing more slowly for me. Each one of the knives has some sentimental value for me, and that is what drives my traditional collection, sentiment, community, and generosity. That is why I like traditionals.

Last edited:
The Nifebrite definitely draws you in.

I guess it's similar to ghost green jade in others I have seen. I like that it takes on different hues depending on what's behind it.

Awesome group of knives Barrett, it is especially impressive when you can get them all into 1 shot like that! Thank you so much for your generosity to have a GAW.

My main collection started out for the NKCA youth knives, made from 1990-2013. I eventually expanded into collecting any of the prototypes made for potential candidates for the yearly youth knives. Once the NKCA closed, I shifted focus towards the Tuna Valley brand. I don't have a group shot of all the Tuna knives, but I do have most of them shown individually on the Tuna Valley photography thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1376533-Tuna-Valley-Photography

The only GEC I have ever owned is the 2007 NKCA youth knife, which is the single blade Tidioute 73 in smooth white bone. Here are photos of my NKCA related collection, and a few of the Tuna's.

Some of mine ,but no entry please . This does not include most of my Case knives

77 Barlows
Eye Witness
Cattaraugus
72's , 73's 74 , and 83's

Harry

I don't think I've ever taken a collection pic. I don't have a lot. But still too much work to get them all out.

Thanks for the chance.

20161213_221340_zpsjaymr7dr.jpg

This is a small sample of my stag knives.
Thanks for the chance on a great GAW. I have only owned one GEC knife. It was a #72.

Last edited:
Blimey Barrett, you have been busy my friend! :D A very generous giveaway, sure to make someone very happy on Christmas Day. Not an entry from me please though, I'd rather someone else had it, but many thanks for doing this, and good luck to everyone entering :) :thumbup:

Edit - Thought I'd add a pic :eek: :D :thumbup:

Last edited:
Not an entry, but I thought I'd play anyway :)

I took this photo some time ago and the clan has grown a little more since, but I like it; the majority of my 25s

Not an entry, but I thought I'd play anyway :)

I took this photo some time ago and the clan has grown a little more since, but I like it; the majority of my 25s

I'm not sure I've ever seen a more satisfying picture! I don't even want to know how long it took to evenly space them so perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not an entry; as usual, I don't enter the GEC GAWs since lots of folks would appreciate the GEC more than me. :eek:
But thanks for the generous GAW, Barrett, and congrats on that impressive array of GECs you've acquired!! :thumbup::thumbup:
(Instead of giving away #51, you could just get one more, and have a different one to carry each week for a year! :D)
Even though I'm not an entrant, here's a "collection photo" showing my "Black Friday collection" of knives I ordered over Thanksgiving weekend. Sorry about the poor quality of the photo; my talents and my camera seem to need a sunny day to produce good results, and, as Johnny Cash sang in "Folsom Prison Blues", I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when! :eek:
nEbnJMg.jpg

Good luck to all the entrants! :D

- GT

Well, I'm 36 yrs old and it looks like I am post #36! I feel lucky already. I am in!

Here is my GEC collection. I really enjoy the the fit and finish of GEC knives. It's the brand that set the hook deep for me and traditionals. I don't own many, I tend to be more of a minimalist even in collections, but these are a pleasure to use and carry.

I really like your thread idea! It's a pleasure to read. Thanks for the GAW.

Well I'd like a shot at this one and many thanks for offering it.

I've chosen a cross-section of GEC: 3 different patterns - Stockman, Eureka Jack, and White Owl Penknife. 3 different materials - wood, smooth bone, jigged bone. A bareheaded knife and a shieldless knife. A unique Stockman interpretation due to its blades, a rare pattern like the Eureka,a useful single-spring like the Owl. They somehow sum up the complexity and ambition of GEC knives.

IMG_3114.jpg

Regards, Will

I'm in! Great idea for a GAW and fantastic photos everyone. I was bitten by the GEC bug like many of you here. I prefer the smaller patterns as I have smaller hands. Here are some of my favorites in my collection.
b8bbf2ee25c6139edc73003ff35ef8ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well dang. I've only got 4 GEC's (well 5 if I count the forum knife I gave to my boy). Guess I've got some buyin' to do. [emoji51]. What a great layout.

Here's my small collection of stag.

3094jea.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Back