1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    This is a triple combo thought/prediction/question for Nathan.....
    1. The level of competition to get to buy one of your fixed blades that we see here on Fridays at 3pm could be under-described as intense (to choose an adjective that’s as understated as it is euphemistic).
    2. When (some time from now) you do finally release your first folder, my prediction is the level of competition to buy those will transcend any and all levels of competition yet seen by entire dimensions. I don’t think it’ll be just “the CPK crowd” of regulars trying to grab those, either. I think there’ll be a large wave of wannabe buyers surging over from the BF GKD world that’ll be a lot like that tsunami that hit Banda Aceh in 2004. As a sidebar thought, proxying and flipping will probably go nuclear. ...and now the question(s)...
    3. Do you have any plans on how to cope with what’ll almost undoubtedly happen? Will those who have CPK purchasing histories hopefully get some kind of priority or preferential treatment--like maybe 6 or 9 Friday sales (of 40 or more knives each) that are restricted to established CPK customers before sales are opened up to everybody else?

2. Burke

Burke Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 1999
    I think the pivot and reinforcement vs lateral stresses is a hugely overlooked component of folder design. If you’re talking guys abusing knives in real use, you’re going to see more prying than spine whacks.

Odog27 likes this.
  3. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    And if you do so, perhaps further limit it to only those who have paid memberships (gold or higher), since it is Bladeforums that causes the benefit of purchase to be had here.

pbubsy, benchrest308 and TommyGun56 like this.
  4. other memory

other memory Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2012
    This isn't necessarily directed at Nathan. If you know a lot about rotational/axial/heavy-duty vises, enlighten me. I'm looking for something like this, but offers more position holding torque.

[​IMG]

See that black screw/hold-in-place thing? The screw that will hold the vice in a position? Sorry, I don't know what it's called. Does anyone know of a vice that has hold-in-place screws that offer as much torque as the vice screw itself? See the silver screw on the vise itself? Imagine that one of those replaced the black screw. That's what I'm looking for. Help a brother out. Thanks in advance.

5. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Have you ever thought about making a watch case? Out of ebonite?

gusbuster likes this.
  6. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I'm sorry, I don't know anything about a vise of that nature.

7. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Nope, I've never thought about that

gusbuster, fonedork and betzner like this.
  8. David45

David45 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2017
    While it would be nice to give Gold status past CPK buyers a priority, think how much more fair it would be to Nathan and Jo to hold an auction. Perhaps the market should decide what a new folder is worth.

Folks here may be a little spoiled by the good nature of the Carothers. It’s been recognized that the Prices on the Exchange are more realistic.

I hope the Carothers get a good place in line at the Pearly Gate for their kindness to their fans!

vkp78, Mike157, argyle1812 and 3 others like this.
  9. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    There is a bigger unknown here with the release of any first folder by CPK than, say, a new chopper or fighter. The latter's release would almost guarantee huge turnout, but as the first folder, one would think that some unknown number of CPK devotees might stick to fixed blades or, if deciding to at least look, not find exactly the mechanism that pleases them. I personally think that the sales strategy might best be to stick with what has worked up to this date, if for no other reason than to be sure the sale effort is successfully implemented. Then, if highly successful, perhaps thought could be given to different approaches to sales venues if a second folder is introduced. Just MHO.

NUTRAMAC, fkctrjt121, Mike157 and 5 others like this.
  10. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    how about a case for my iphone5? Shouldn't be too hard, and I don't mind paying for the material.

gusbuster, Odog27 and Mike157 like this.
  11. Wood5045

Wood5045 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Nathan,

What are your thoughts on us trying to put a hand ground satin finish on our own knifes? I’m considering trying it on my second UF but I want to make sure I’m not getting in over my head.

How difficult is it to get it right and could someone with decent mechanical skills accomplish this?

If this is feasible, would you mind sharing your process, tools and grits used to apply a satin finish?

12. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    I'm sorry, this question is complex and outside of the scope of what I am able to provide on this thread. There is a sub on this forum called Shoptalk where makers discuss different techniques. Yes a person can apply a satin finish, no it is not a trivial undertaking.

13. Wood5045

Wood5045 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Copy that and thanks for the mental correction :thumbsup:

14. moparsbob

moparsbob Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    Hi Nathan,

I know that solvents are not good for ebonite handles. Is there anything that is good for ebonite that could be used on it to keep the ebonite from drying out & cracking?

gusbuster and Odog27 like this.
  15. pbubsy

pbubsy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Nathan, are you a fan of the bolo? Can you foresee ever doing a run of some? 3/16" with a 13" blade would be awesome!

gusbuster, woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  16. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Nathan, would you like the bitching about how unfair next week's sale is to start now or wait till then? I just figured it would save time to just piggyback the bitching about this week's sale? Whatever is good with me boss, just let me know.

Fullflat, gusbuster, stjones and 6 others like this.
  17. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    You better cut this out. Future Nathan is going to come back to tell Nathan to block you about 8 days ago for all your bitching and now your planning to bitch. Future Nathan has had enough (or at least he will have by then).

gusbuster, Odog27 and woodysone like this.
  18. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    One of these days Nathan is going to figure out that he can't please everybody and then we're all going to be screwed. Screwed I tell you!

gusbuster, stjones, duramax and 4 others like this.
  19. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I only bitched about the bitches bitching, understand the difference? Took me twenty four hours almost to get as bitchy as they were.

If past, present or future Nathan is unaware of my position and what I think of him and his company, I am certain he will know how to find me.

20. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    As Tony implied, he already knows. Why do you think he was smoking that big blunt and kicking back before the “fun” sale?:eek::)

Fullflat, gusbuster and Odog27 like this.