1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. amflud

amflud Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Maybe try Mother’s VLR (Vinyl Leather Rubber). It’s a car care product.

gusbuster likes this.
  2. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I don't actually know the answer to this question. I do know that ebonite has been used on things like pipe stems, musical instruments, and fountain pens for a very long time and it doesn't just dry out and crack. I think most people do nothing, no maintenance at all. Solvents and oils may be harmful to it. I would just use it and not worry about it. If you have to clean it I would just use dish soap and water.

3. gusbuster

gusbuster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Nathan are you going to offer more ebonite scales? I’m sorry I missed out on the EDC scales.

woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  4. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Absolutely. It's wonderful stuff.

5. heat_treat

heat_treat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Probably more information than you are looking for and this is for museum object preservation but it offers some things to avoid in cleaning ebonite including water (especially hot). Considering ebonite was used for bowling balls for years I wouldn't worry about it being all that fragile or delicate but I can't say I have personal experience with it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/conservati...tion-institute-notes/care-rubber-plastic.html

Odog27 likes this.
  6. gusbuster

gusbuster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    :thumbsup::) Thanks!

Odog27 likes this.
  7. moparsbob

moparsbob Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    Here is the relevant section from the document link posted by @heat_treat (Thanks!):

"Ebonite is often mistaken for Bakelite in museum collections, because both are often hard, black plastics. Bakelite is relatively stable. Ebonite is a hard, highly vulcanized rubber that contains sulfur compounds, which react first with oxygen and then with water as the product ages, and eventually produce sulphuric acid. Ebonite therefore can have very acidic surfaces that are dangerous to other objects. Ebonite items must be separated, ventilated or placed in enclosures along with scavengers to trap acidic gases. Decreasing the relative humidity will also decrease the amount of acid produced."

Odog27 likes this.
  8. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    ^that's for very old antique artifacts

In practice, if you'll clean them off if they get petroleum oil on them, avoid regular exposure to strong solvents and don't leave them out in the sun for weeks at a time your ebonite scales will be fine for a very long time. They don't need maintenance. But they're not the right material for you if you're a maintenance tech who works with greasy hands and solvent based cleaners on a regular basis.

vkp78, Mike157, fonedork and 3 others like this.
  9. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Another question specifically regarding Ebonite.

Anyone know how the material handles below freezing, or subzero temperatures, seeing how it IS a rubber based material? I know that a lot of types of rubber get brittle in colder temperatures.

Odog27 likes this.
  10. amflud

amflud Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Are there any plans to offer natural linen micarta scales?

Odog27 and sryt95 like this.
  11. xxwarderxx

xxwarderxx Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Are you familiar with Snecx?

He started designing folding knives in the last few years, I believe to address issues he didn’t see anyone was addressing.

He only has a handful of designs that have produced a very limited number of knives, but I would definitely suggest scouring his Instagram as there is a wealth of knowledge there.

You may be able to bounce some ideas off of each other, or who knows, maybe a collaboration? :eek:

Instagram link https://www.instagram.com/snecx/?hl=en

3rd party reviewer of one of his blades.

Feel free to remove the links, or I can if needed. I don’t see him as a competitor as he is mainly a designer with extremely limited, fairly expensive and hard to obtain folding knives.

Edit - the reason I posted this was similar to the reason I’m glad you got your hands on a Shiro. Just to throw out some ideas and info for future CPK bendy knives

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    vkp78, Odog27, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  12. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Snecx is now in the process of designing and testing, what he intends to be, one of the strongest, yet still clean and simple, folding knife lock systems. Mike

vkp78 and Odog27 like this.
  13. Organic556

Organic556 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2015
    What’s the line up coming down the pipe for Friday sales and preorders? I’ve missed a bit. Got a new house and been busy as I don’t know what. I guess I missed the FK2 and fighter .

Odog27 likes this.
  14. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Not this Friday, but the following Friday (4/5) there will be UF’s in AEBL out on the main exchange.

FK/UFK’s are still being sold as well.

15. argyle1812

argyle1812

Mar 6, 2016
    I have a sharpening question on the upcoming UF. I see the edge angle listed at 20 degrees. Does this mean I can touch it up with my Sharpmaker?

gusbuster likes this.
  16. xxwarderxx

xxwarderxx Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2015
    I thought this would be of interest as well seeing as how the Shiro bit Nathan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvgGYaOlQ7O/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7tfmsuzk5ifu

17. Lost Empires

Lost Empires Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Hey Nathan,

How does the AEBL compare to your D3V? I'm a huge fan of the D3V and trying to figure out which one would suit me better.

gusbuster and argyle1812 like this.
  18. benchrest308

benchrest308 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Maybe this will help? The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

19. Jo the Machinist

Jo the Machinist KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 17, 2015
    Nathan’s driving. :)

gusbuster, duramax, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  20. Lost Empires

Lost Empires Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2018
    P
    Please don't post and drive!!!