1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. M_Scout

M_Scout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2011
    If the AEBL fighters turn out to be popular is there any consideration for HDFKs in AEBL. I’d love to have one that would be more salt water resistant

Odog27, vkp78, Fullflat and 4 others like this.
  2. Murman

Murman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 11, 2015
    What is the max length and width of a knife blade you can produce

Mike Pierson and Odog27 like this.
  3. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Probably not. There are no additional HDFK in the production schedule. We may make some Field Knives in AEBL at some point. And the DEK1 too.

NUTRAMAC, nandok, gusbuster and 8 others like this.
  4. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    In theory probably about three feet total length with a blade grind width of perhaps 3". But using the fixturing and setup techniques we use the 18" total length, 12" blade length of the Behemoth is pushing the limits and the nearly 2" grind height on the comp choppers was challenging. The KOD piece will require a different manufacturing approach than we normally use.

5. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Is the DEK-1 on this years production schedule, mid-summer?

gusbuster, M_Scout, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  6. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    It's the next model. Development will start here this Spring with prototypes this summer. Real production may start as soon as this fall.

azwelke, NUTRAMAC, duramax and 19 others like this.
  7. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Sweet! As much as I like the FK 1 & 2 and the UF, the DEK sounds like it has the potential to be my Goldilocks pattern for a fixed blade.

gusbuster, Mike157, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  8. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm wrapping up the third iteration of the DEK1 handle, and it's finally feeling about right :) Third time's a charm!

vkp78, Keoneloa, duramax and 15 others like this.
  9. xxwarderxx

xxwarderxx Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2015
    I love the fact that you mentioned the KOD piece here, as it is definitely on my mind. It’s good to know it’s on yours too.

gusbuster, Mike157, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  10. d2eux

d2eux

Oct 10, 2010
    Hi Nathan, I sent a question over to edit before finding out about this Q&A thread. I was curious if you accept commissions to work on existing production blades and folders, such as making custom titanium liners or adding detent holes to assisted opening knives. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2019
    Mike157 and Odog27 like this.
  11. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    I'm sorry we don't do custom work of that nature at this time.

12. PharetH

PharetH Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2016
    I would suggest checking out REK (Razor Edge Knives). Josh does great work and can likely handle everything you are looking for.
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/razoredgeknives/?hl=en

Fullflat, d2eux, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  13. d2eux

d2eux

Oct 10, 2010
    Understood, thanks. A more general question, if you dont mind me asking- what does the process look like for becoming a high level machinist? Is there an apprenticeship period, or a mix of courses and practical application?

Fullflat and Odog27 like this.
  14. d2eux

d2eux

Oct 10, 2010
    Mike157, Fullflat and Odog27 like this.
  15. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    There are a lot of different paths a person could take. Simple question with a complex answer beyond the scope of this thread.

16. xxwarderxx

Mar 27, 2015
    If I recall correctly, you used to make blade replacements for folders?

What knives did you do this for and was this done as a way to upgrade the knife or refurbish it?

Would you ever consider this again as a prequel to the folder? A D3V blade replacement for a popular folder would be extremely enticing (or AEBL, D2, 4V, etc etc etc that you see fit).

gusbuster and Hard Knocks like this.
  17. woodysone

Nov 21, 2005
    Hey Nathan, I have a bunch of shipping boxes with AIM industries on them. What does AIM stand for?

fonedork likes this.
  18. xxwarderxx

Mar 27, 2015
    Advanced Idea Mechanics

woodysone likes this.
  19. woodysone

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks.

20. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    And I thought it meant Alles ist Messer.

Oyster, woodysone and WValtakis like this.