The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist any word or thoughts on the hunter/skinner? Curious what sort of timeline would be in the works (I assume they take a bit longer with hollow grinds*) or if this pattern is off the books for a while.

It's not currently on the schedule. I do want to revisit it at some point. We do have a few really old stock that I have been meaning to finish out.

If I remember correctly a scandi grind is lower than 13DPS. Usually it's 11DPS. So if the bottom end for edge stability is 13DPS, what about all the other 3V knives (from other makers or production knives) with a scandi grind?
Does it means the normal 3V can go lower than D3V? Or scandi grind is special compared to other grinds? Or the other makers don't prioritize edge stability?

The entire purpose of the Delta protocol is to improve edge stability. There is no absolute bottom end on how narrow you can go, but the sweet spot is between 13 and 20.

People make scandi grinds with all sorts of things, but simple steels work the best at those narrow angles.

It's not currently on the schedule. I do want to revisit it at some point. We do have a few really old stock that I have been meaning to finish out.

Mine has lost it’s belly and has been refinished twice to keep it pretty, but my wife has had it in the kitchen for years. I want my own one, Please.;)
MYWuFEH.jpg

Last edited:
I like mine at 15, but I don't need a particularly durable edge because I can just touch it up again easily.
Thank you, about two years ago a friend introduced me to your knives (FK) and I was like WTF?! How much did you spend on a knife. Couldn’t believe it. I now have several and a few more ordered. Quality knives for certain but you being available to answer questions is a huge added bonus. I wish you and Jo many years of continued success.

Back