The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

How do people react when you ask them if they want to see your penetrator tip?
This is why we need a CPK get together sometime.

They're the ONLY ones who would understand, when a group of guys are standing around talking about their 6" with the Penetrator tip, and how gorgeous it looks when they get wood, and how good it feels in their hands 😂

Yo Nate - have you heard / read about Magnacut steel ?

There seems to be a ton a fanboys in the general knife discussion.

As a Steel Guru I figured you could understand the lingo.

Yo Nate - have you heard / read about Magnacut steel ?

There seems to be a ton a fanboys in the general knife discussion.

As a Steel Guru I figured you could understand the lingo.
#notnathan

Post in thread 'The "Ask Nathan a question" thread'
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/post-20415423

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/post-20497559

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/post-20497749

Last edited:
Nathan, would you please clarify for me the double edge dagger grind option for the UF2?
View attachment 1572688View attachment 1572687Is it the top photo or the bottom, which was the Double Edge Fighter option on OG UF?
I stole pics from satin grind post, top is @jus_gus and bottom is @Tigerden
(Thank you, fellas)

When I say dagger ground I mean that the top edge isn't just a sharpened swedge but there is a bevel ground into the spine that gets an edge. This is a relatively steep bevel and edge. However, on the double edged fighter I tweaked the blade shape to be more symmetrical and steepened the front bevel so there was real-estate for a more conventional rear bevel and both sides are sharpened at 20 DPS. This isn't just a modification of the UF, it is a different knife with different programs and fixtures. I'm not sure what we're going to do on this order, but it looks like there's enough to justify the DEF.

Nathan could you please offer acid wash fasteners for an additional fee like the shiny, and blue fasteners? They look real nice with the satin and acid wash flats option. Here is a great example on this Blade Show EDC2.

NxdBv3M.jpg

The fasteners are 18-8 stainless or titanium. Neither respond to acid treatment. Our blade fasteners are black oxide coated stainless. We used to use them on everything but the coating wears off and people didn't like it so we're getting away from it. You can still order them that way and it's functional if you want a dark fastener, but it can get uneven over time.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist so many questions directed at you here. I hope you find time to answer mine. Out of all the UF2 configurations, what would you pick?

Double edged. This pattern was developed for military persons on deployment to have a compact general purpose knife that serves as a properly developed weapon too. That doesn't describe me, I'm just skulking about Mooresville. If I'm carrying a fixed blade it will be a Field Knife. If I'm carrying a UF it's because I want a weapon and the DEF is a pure weapon.

This is why we need a CPK get together sometime.

They're the ONLY ones who would understand, when a group of guys are standing around talking about their 6" with the Penetrator tip, and how gorgeous it looks when they get wood, and how good it feels in their hands 😂

We are going to host a Bladesports cut at some point. Probably next spring. When we do we'll probably also do an outlaw cut (non-sanctioned) run-what-you-brung cut for a cash prize. There will be swords and chickens etc. maybe a goat. If Matty ever gets his act together perhaps even a pony. And BBQ afterward. When we do, this the event will be open to spectators etc. This might serve as a CPK get-together too.

When I say dagger ground I mean that the top edge isn't just a sharpened swedge but there is a bevel ground into the spine that gets an edge. This is a relatively steep bevel and edge. However, on the double edged fighter I tweaked the blade shape to be more symmetrical and steepened the front bevel so there was real-estate for a more conventional rear bevel and both sides are sharpened at 20 DPS. This isn't just a modification of the UF, it is a different knife with different programs and fixtures. I'm not sure what we're going to do on this order, but it looks like there's enough to justify the DEF.
Nathan, can I kindly enquire...as you said DEF is a different knife altogether and designed as a weapon.
Does the grind change throughout the blade? What I mean, does the tip have more " meat" to withstand stabbing into lets say armoured target etc....i remember that you kept the tip of a boot knife strong for that very purpose.

We are going to host a Bladesports cut at some point. Probably next spring. When we do we'll probably also do an outlaw cut (non-sanctioned) run-what-you-brung cut for a cash prize. There will be swords and chickens etc. maybe a goat. If Matty ever gets his act together perhaps even a pony. And BBQ afterward. When we do, this the event will be open to spectators etc. This might serve as a CPK get-together too.
Woot! Come ooooon 2022!!!

Back