The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Not the thread for something like it, but could you share a couple of tips on finishing wood? I’ve been considering finishing a walnut air rifle stock with tung oil, but I’ve never done it.

I’m doing boiled linseed oil on a crosman 1377 handle and pump

Thanks
I've only ever used automotive paint and clear, sorry I don't know any other method

Being a dad is tough .... I have a 20 year old and a 16 year old , I try to connect with my hobbies but theirs fall on different paths , so I'll try and learn theirs.... then I get "you don't know anything dad"

When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” Mark Twain.

But "bright with a pretty serious personality disorder" doesn't have the same ring to it....

Lol
I knew when Mensa sent me an invitation to join some many years ago, that it meant literally nothing. (I didn't reply.)

Not sure where and how they got my info, but I think it must've been some combination of info that was sent to the gov't when I was applying for jobs, as well as some academic info, and results from various tests administered on a national level.

As Groucho said, "'I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member".

Not the thread for something like it, but could you share a couple of tips on finishing wood? I’ve been considering finishing a walnut air rifle stock with tung oil, but I’ve never done it.

I’m doing boiled linseed oil on a crosman 1377 handle and pump

Thanks
tung oil is great stuff, imo. Read and follow the directions on the container, there's no magic involved. Don't use lots of oil, just a dab will do ya

As I got older, at a certain point I realized that as long as schools lack tests for measuring dedication, determination, work ethic, integrity, and creativity, the ones they do have aren't worth crap.

Of course I should have realized that just from paying attention to Edison . . . "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."

I started playing D&D as a kid. In hindsight dripping me off at the local hobby shop was a cheap babysitter on Friday nights, but at the time it was simply fun for me. I played through college (and also was in the SCA) but let it drop. I picked it back up recently to DM with my sons and some of their friends. It’s a good way to connect with them. It does teach creativity, communication, and cooperation as you mention, but also helps with their quick math skills with adding all of the bonuses and divvying up the loot…
I grew up around all sorts of SCA folk. Good people.

Joined some D&D friends and pkayed a handful of times. I had fun, but it was more from just hanging out with friends.

As for SCA type activity;
In college, one of my buddies was heavily into D&D as well as martial arts, and my roommate and I ran a martial arts club on campus and this buddy, Jason, would occasionally come and train with us.

One day, my roommate Tim and I were doing some weapons training and light sparring with 7' rattan staffs, and Jason says,
"Hey, you guys should come check out the Lil Squishy club"
"The what?...."
"Oh, it's an offshoot of the D&D club. They made a bunch of padded weapons from PVC and foam and we spar and have battles and stuff. You guys should really check it out, since y'all do weapons training/sparring and all. We meet up at XX Hall every Friday".

So we decided to give it a go. Turns out Jason was busy that Friday, so he said, "Just go ahead and tell them I know you guys"

We check it out, show them that we understand the concept of control and light contact weapons sparring and join in.

The following week, Jason joins our MA training session and says, "Uhhh... so... the Lil Squishy guys would prefer you not join them anymore, and I'm on suspension from the club for inviting you. They cussed me out for inviting real martial artists to join in. I guess the 2 brothers who started it were embarrassed by how easily you defeated them. BTW, that dark haired girl I heard was sitting on your lap most of the night? That was the younger brother's GF".

Whoops. 😂

one of my numerous regrets is not having played D&D.

It's never too late to start.

I never played D&D growing up - 1.) I grew up on a farm and spent every waking moment outside and 2.) My mom read a book that told her that kids that play D&D are possessed by demons. So... Yeah... No D&D growing up, or TV, or video games outside of Bible Buffet and Noah's Ark on the NES from time to time.

It wasn't until much later in life that a few of my work buddies invited me to play a game with them several years ago. It was a hell of a lot of fun and besides being an excellent sociological exercise, it was just a great excuse to start meeting the lads for "Nerd Night" every week, drinking beer, and eating stuff that is definitely not good for us.

Fully recommend it.

Last edited:
I'm trying to do the same... but my children like to run me dry lol

I just Nascar tire changed the 3rd tire my youngest has blown out in the last 2 months....

Funny how I grew up working on my cars and learning myself..... and both the children seem to be allergic to it

Make them walk for a while. Sometimes kids don't realize how easy they have it.

Back