• Folks, you need to make sure your profile email address is kept current. If you do not have a paid subscription, and get locked out of your account because you no longer have access to your listed email address? There is nothing we can do for you.

This is especially important now that we've instituted password compromise security - if your password is compromised elsewhere, you will be sent a verification email on your next login. If you don't have access to that email? Your account gets locked.

Help us help you, PLEASE.

The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Nathan,

did you ever play as the wizard in your dungeons and dragons group?

Ever? Even outside of D&D counts

I'm not disparaging on those who did, but I did not play dungeons and dragon, magic the gathering, or even video games as a kid. Or adult. Ever really. I was one of those kids that was outside a lot.

The Amazing Virginian

Gold Member
I'm
I'm not disparaging on those who did, but I did not play dungeons and dragon, magic the gathering, or even video games as a kid. Or adult. Ever really. I was one of those kids that was outside a lot.
My brother from a different mother! Although I did play video games a few times. And now my daughter is a computer science major with an emphasis on computer game design, and is an intern at Microsoft working on Minecraft. Go figger.

I am tempted mightily to disparage those who "play dungeons and dragon" . . . but then I am reminded that my daughter played a few games of D&D. Even though (or because?) she knows my prejudice against it. Teenage rebellion and all that.

BTW, a cool move for a high school kid is to tell their parents that they want to be a computer game designer and to go to college to get a degree in computer science. Kind of kills a parent's inclination to tell their kids to stop playing so many damn video games.

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
My twin brother played video games and magic etc. and was very good at it. Got his computer science degree at NC State and his masters in machine learning at Georgia Tech and is doing very well now. I make knives in a garage. I tell my kids I'd much rather them play various game (that they participate in) than consume TV etc. Nothing wrong with it. I, personally, get more out of stuff that is tangibly real, but as long as you're doing something with your time on this earth, there are all kinds of different ways in this world.

Lorien

I'm

My brother from a different mother! Although I did play video games a few times. And now my daughter is a computer science major with an emphasis on computer game design, and is an intern at Microsoft working on Minecraft. Go figger.

I am tempted mightily to disparage those who "play dungeons and dragon" . . . but then I am reminded that my daughter played a few games of D&D. Even though (or because?) she knows my prejudice against it. Teenage rebellion and all that.

BTW, a cool move for a high school kid is to tell their parents that they want to be a computer game designer and to go to college to get a degree in computer science. Kind of kills a parent's inclination to tell their kids to stop playing so many damn video games.
one of my numerous regrets is not having played D&D. I was always too outdoorsy and...oh look a squirrel! Our kid does some D&D with their online friends and I'm super happy about that because it's such a creative thing to do that also requires communication and cooperation- good stuff you want your kid to know

my dad was totally into D&D, (in addition to being a witch:eek:) and had all those little lead guys that he would spend hours and hours painting. He even had a gaming store in Vermont at one point, and built quite the little community of disaffected youth, helping them find their path and whatnot. I never played D&D with my dad, and he never rode bicycles with me. On the upside, I spent countless weekends in godforsaken muddy fields and pastures with a bunch of medieval types beating the ever living shit out of each other, I guess that was a great way to incorporate my outdoorsiness with his desire to exist in the middle ages

just got back from a ride and ran into this guy I've known since he was a kid. He worked with his dad, who was an electrician, and they rode together every weekend. Man they loved hanging out together. Anyway, I found out today that his dad died from cancer within the past couple years. Made me sad, his dad was one in a million. Anyway, blah blah blah. No questions for Nathan here, but I'll try and think of something

yoko

Gold Member
one of my numerous regrets is not having played D&D. I was always too outdoorsy and...oh look a squirrel! Our kid does some D&D with their online friends and I'm super happy about that because it's such a creative thing to do that also requires communication and cooperation- good stuff you want your kid to know

my dad was totally into D&D, (in addition to being a witch:eek:) and had all those little lead guys that he would spend hours and hours painting. He even had a gaming store in Vermont at one point, and built quite the little community of disaffected youth, helping them find their path and whatnot. I never played D&D with my dad, and he never rode bicycles with me. On the upside, I spent countless weekends in godforsaken muddy fields and pastures with a bunch of medieval types beating the ever living shit out of each other, I guess that was a great way to incorporate my outdoorsiness with his desire to exist in the middle ages

just got back from a ride and ran into this guy I've known since he was a kid. He worked with his dad, who was an electrician, and they rode together every weekend. Man they loved hanging out together. Anyway, I found out today that his dad died from cancer within the past couple years. Made me sad, his dad was one in a million. Anyway, blah blah blah. No questions for Nathan here, but I'll try and think of something
Being a dad is tough .... I have a 20 year old and a 16 year old , I try to connect with my hobbies but theirs fall on different paths , so I'll try and learn theirs.... then I get "you don't know anything dad"

AR-Trvlr

Gold Member

I started playing D&D as a kid. In hindsight dripping me off at the local hobby shop was a cheap babysitter on Friday nights, but at the time it was simply fun for me. I played through college (and also was in the SCA) but let it drop. I picked it back up recently to DM with my sons and some of their friends. It’s a good way to connect with them. It does teach creativity, communication, and cooperation as you mention, but also helps with their quick math skills with adding all of the bonuses and divvying up the loot…

trevitrace

Gold Member
I don't know what we'll be bringing. Jo has been stashing stuff aside here and there. I've seen an HDFK, some Basic 5s, a boot dagger, some K18s, a Behemother, a 10" chopper and a couple 6" UF BMF (we'll keep under the table so that those in the know here can ask for them.)
Maybe it's just because it's early, but what's BMF?

This could be do able!

Let me know

I've done some cool candy like paint on wood parts before

View attachment 1824553 View attachment 1824554
Not the thread for something like it, but could you share a couple of tips on finishing wood? I’ve been considering finishing a walnut air rifle stock with tung oil, but I’ve never done it.

I’m doing boiled linseed oil on a crosman 1377 handle and pump

Thanks