The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Jsega51

Gold Member
Hello Nathan. Now that you have about one a quarter days back to work after your vacation, would you please update us on the progress of the Folder, and the K20? Any gratuitous photos of the SDFK to excite us even more? Status of Magnacut heat treat for the DEK pre order?
Thank you!

Wouldn’t it be easier just to go set up a small squatter camp inside one of his shipping containers so you could pester in person? Hehe

EFFDA2FF-C2A9-4A9B-9A65-600FAB6D8C6B.jpeg

Last edited:

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Any gratuitous photos of the SDFK to excite us even more? Status of Magnacut heat treat for the DEK pre order?
Thank you!

I like this question. It's a simple question. Phrased as a yes or no. And the answer is, no. I don't have any of those things right now

Nathan the Machinist

Hello Nathan. Now that you have about one a quarter days back to work after your vacation, would you please update us on the progress of the Folder, and the K20? Any gratuitous photos of the SDFK to excite us even more? Status of Magnacut heat treat for the DEK pre order?
Thank you!

I'm a little bit pressed for time or I would go into some details for you. I still need to post a final response to the utility fighter with a not a rolled edge thread which means I need to load some pictures to imgur and grab some links to YouTube and properly document what I did. And I've got knives I need to sharpen. And we have this new project coming up with the SDFK which really ought to have a demonstration video for it. And I have a surprise out-of-town-trip picking up some surface grinders in Ohio today and tomorrow. It's a good question and I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I will try to answer them once I get some time to sit and compose a thoughtful response but I'm buried right now.

bluemax_1

Gold Member
Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

Are the differences between the Standard and SS SDFK simply
1) skeletonized handle
2) swedge to restore balance from skeletonizing the handle
3) thumb ramp/jimping

A) Any difference in the grind between the 2? (the OG HDFK had the shallow s-grind didn't it)? *** Looks like this was answered. SS gets the s-grind. 😁

B) what's the weight difference between the standard and SS?

steelcitysixteen

Gold Member
Morning Nathan,

the other day you wrote this:

was just wondering what that meant, in terms of the blades being outside your shop ? None of my business really, just curious.

Roland.

They have been sitting on a cargo ship in the Atlantic for months...hence the "two weeks" talk since mid-2021. He doesn't actually make his own knives. They come from Chi-nah.

Grenock

Platinum Member
They have been sitting on a cargo ship in the Atlantic for months...hence the "two weeks" talk since mid-2021. He doesn't actually make his own knives. They come from Chi-nah.
After revising what I initially wrote, I would just like to say that Nathan’s knives are most certainly not made in China. I know it was a joke, but sometimes jokes land wrong, believe me, I know, and this one landed wrong with me.

Nathan the Machinist

Not China. North Korea. But just the blade blanks. We get them heat treated in Pakistan by some Rastafarian refugees that I own.

bluemax_1

Gold Member
Not China. North Korea. But just the blade blanks. We get them heat treated in Pakistan by some Rastafarian refugees that I own.
Ohhhh... so THAT'S what's causing the delay...

Looks like every other time they try to send the shipment via air freight, it seems to end up falling into the ocean somewhere near Japan.

NOW I understand Nathan's blanks vs finished knives ratios. Looks like he accounts for the small percentage of losses during the air freight 'testing'.

Nathan the Machinist

Ohhhh... so THAT'S what's causing the delay...

Looks like every other time they try to send the shipment via air freight, it seems to end up falling into the ocean somewhere near Japan.

NOW I understand Nathan's blanks vs finished knives ratios. Looks like he accounts for the small percentage of losses during the air freight 'testing'.

What are you talking about air freight? Man I can't afford air freight. I'm sneaking these in on Cambodian shrimp boats. They use them in the holds for ballast. The knives we sold today were made probably four years ago. Made out of the highest quality recycled steel. The good shit from Cuba that still had chrome on the bumpers.