The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Hi Nathan. I am stuck. And the bolt is stuck. I have pushed, pulled, and tried all sorts of chicanery to get this thing out. Any suggestions?
The one nearest the blade came out lickity split, the middle required a dithering, but I got it out, too.
Thank you.

Hi Nathan. I am stuck. And the bolt is stuck. I have pushed, pulled, and tried all sorts of chicanery to get this thing out. Any suggestions?
The one nearest the blade came out lickity split, the middle required a dithering, but I got it out, too.
Thank you.

I put a small punch in the hole and bear against the end of the screw and tap it out with a small hammer.

I have done, and tried similar. I will continue this route. Thank you!

Put your wrench into the screw head and spin that barrel around as you’re trying to get it out. I’ve had some real hard ones also and a combo of spinning, pulling and tapping it out have worked. I’ve then taken some 800 grit paper to the spacer to smooth it back out (you’ll feel or see a little galling from forcing it out) and shine it up some, it’ll go back through easier.

Put your wrench into the screw head and spin that barrel around as you’re trying to get it out. I’ve had some real hard ones also and a combo of spinning, pulling and tapping it out have worked. I’ve then taken some 800 grit paper to the spacer to smooth it back out (you’ll feel or see a little galling from forcing it out) and shine it up some, it’ll go back through easier.
For sure. I actually reached out to Jo already because I really messed up the middle bolster. This final would is going to messed up, too

It worked! Specifically the “smack the crap out of it” part.
I had been using a 16oz hammer but hitting the bolster with ease trying to coax it out.
I placed the knife on the carpet, got the closest thing that would work: a slightly larger hex wrench, and smacked the crap out of it. A few times.
Thanks everyone who chimed in to help! 🙏🤝

Every aspect of the assembly is held to tight tolerances and within the tolerance stack up you can have a tang and a pin with a light interference fit. The knife was never designed or intended to be easily disassembled. We are looking for a low slop fit that cannot shift around in hard use. There is zero adjustment. Tight pins are the price.

So just got a K18 in today and I kinda feel like a new dad and just want to make sure I’m doing things right and I guess this could be answered by anyone who has one but do you guys just store it in its sheath or what? How do you guys stow this thing away when not using it?

So just got a K18 in today and I kinda feel like a new dad and just want to make sure I’m doing things right and I guess this could be answered by anyone who has one but do you guys just store it in its sheath or what? How do you guys stow this thing away when not using it?
Depends on your personal preference/situation.

Living alone? Whatever you prefer. It IS a large, razor sharp sword that could cause serious injury from just dropping/falling, so take that into consideration.

I have both a Kydex and leather sheath for mine, and leave it in the kydex (doesn't hold moisture).

You could stow it in some deep shag carpet and have your wife or girlfriend find it with her toe. (True story) ... send pictures...

I store mine in a kydex sheath

Store it with some care. Real swords are as dangerous as loaded firearms.

59416-0-1435107632.jpg

"Who left the K18 laying around again?"

Back