The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

A reinforced point will help prevent snapping the tip off, but it sounds like you actually broke your knife back in the blade a ways back from the point? Still, not a problem, but it will be impossible for me to set up a demonstration on a 4" log while whacking on an inch or two of the tip with the DEK1 due to the shorter blade length. But I'll try to put together a video with the DEK1 doing something as similar as possible.
I came across this from way back when. I wonder if you are still up for making a video 😅

I was stabbing into and then prying apart wood of a log while on a hike. I did this after some battoning and it snapped a large chunk of the blade I think on the 3rd or 4th pry

It was just a budget blade and a schrade with questionable quality (hence my lack of hesitation and my misuse for 'fun'). Even though the steel, and HT is questionable, I still pause and hesitate with quality blades that arent reinforced, because although this was pretty much a piece of junk, it was still a 1/4" hunk piece of steel.

I'd love to see a demonstration if you are willing to do so. I always appreciate your videos as a whole and have seen them all.

Said knife below

oVmOuVf.jpg

I meant to set up a demonstration with the DEK1, but I didn't find the time. We're actually behind on a lot of videos. I meant to do a video of the fireman's tool and we need to do one of the new Shiv. It's just difficult to find the time to create a videos sometimes.

I meant to set up a demonstration with the DEK1, but I didn't find the time. We're actually behind on a lot of videos. I meant to do a video of the fireman's tool and we need to do one of the new Shiv. It's just difficult to find the time to create a videos sometimes.
Totally fair! I love when CPK has a new video up, but you keep getting knives out the door - that's more of a priority 👊🏼

Not to mention lead chain is probably really hard to come by🤪

...Beyond that is the next round of K20. Those K20 will be made from a batch of 3v rolled specifically for swords and is not as cross rolled 3v we use for our knife production, so our next batch of steel for knives will be a different batch. We're buying an entire melt so I may tweak it a little bit...

Nathan, can you please elaborate, explain and differentiate between the two rolling processes? Were the K18 and the previous K20 swords also cross rolled 3V or are you tweaking something else in addition to your D3V? Thank you.

Oh dang there's an opening for video creator at CPK????

I'm sure I could help with that ...... they would be magical

(I'm joking I would be very terrible at that Hahaha)

Nathan, can you please elaborate, explain and differentiate between the two rolling processes? Were the K18 and the previous K20 swords also cross rolled 3V or are you tweaking something else in addition to your D3V? Thank you.

The K18 and the previous K20s are less cross rolled than our normal 3v. We make tweaks such as the heat condition (spheroidized annealed can be taken to different extremes and affect heat treat response) and the amount of bias applied to the rolling and other tweaks. There are advantages to buying the entire heat, and the entire melt. I don't want to go into too much detail here, but sometimes we take advantage of our ability to tweak the steel for our applications.

Nathan, apologies if this is a "knucklehead" question!

In the foreseeable future, do you envisage revisiting the D3V heat treat protocol to optimise/tweak it even further due to advances in equipment, testing and analysis, or processes, etc.

It's obviously the best super steel of its kind, but you come across as someone who's almost always looking to improve CPK's offerings.
Another motivation could be the likelihood (or small chance) of a competitor developing a superior steel, whether its CPM-3V or something else.

Nathan, apologies if this is a "knucklehead" question!

In the foreseeable future, do you envisage revisiting the D3V heat treat protocol to optimise/tweak it even further due to advances in equipment, testing and analysis, or processes, etc.

It's obviously the best super steel of its kind, but you come across as someone who's almost always looking to improve CPK's offerings.
Another motivation could be the likelihood (or small chance) of a competitor developing a superior steel, whether its CPM-3V or something else.
We are always developing. We do not rest on our laurels here. Innovate or die.

What are the anticipated prices for the coming EDC and chopper?

I don't actually know yet. I haven't done the math. It will be similar to previous offerings of similar patterns but adjusted for the inflation that we have been experiencing the last couple years.

Back