1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ChazzyP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    I'd been ogling Shirogorov knives for some time and had been PMing about them with a few members here, soliciting opinions and guidance before taking the plunge early this past summer. One who was particularly cordial and helpful offered me the knife pictured below and it became my first Shiro. The second followed closely on that one's heels and a third showed up at my PO just earlier this week. Needless to say, I totally love these knives and there's lots to say about them, but all I'll mention for now is they share the seemingly contradictory qualities of being both over-priced and completely worth it.

Anyway, I've searched back a ways and haven't found a Show Us Your Shiros thread, so please do just that as well as sharing your thoughts and comments on these fantastic knives.

Edit: It's a wonder this thread ever got off the ground with that crappy picture I had up here to start. Let's try this one of the Python slithering through some fungi....

[​IMG]

...Yeah, that's better.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  2. BluegrassBrian

BluegrassBrian

Apr 20, 2015
    My all time favorite Shiro. It's my most used edc. There's something about this one that feels different than any other I've owned, CD or not.

Custom Division F95 (T), S90V.

[​IMG]

3. Anarchy84

Anarchy84 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Here are my three bears. Shirogorov 95T, Neon, and carbon fiber Hati - all in M390. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  4. lex2006

lex2006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Sinister picture, Lex. Glad to see your tranny's in park. Rapid acceleration could raise a male passenger's voice an octave or two.:eek:

6. MaxFactor

MaxFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2012
    This pic is from quite a while back but I thought that the beer pairing was particularly appropriate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, I'm fiending for one of those new F95 models. Shoot me a PM or email if you know where to find one.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  7. lex2006

lex2006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2014
    HAHA good point , I think I was sitting at train crossing that day

8. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Pun intended, Shiros all being exceptionally pointy?

9. Mtneer

Mtneer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Here are a few shots of my bears. I actually just traded the F3 and the 95T for a Shirogorov / Sinkovich Jeans. Can't wait to get it on Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Here's another shot of the Python, taken at the job site. Any F3 I've seen with these scales has an OD Green backspacer--this one is drop-dead gorgeous ti. The knife has a great feel in hand--smooth, fast, light for its construction, wicked solid, with a fail-proof flip and an index finger flick to close. Definitely right up close to the top of my heap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  11. Scrim

Scrim Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Been bit by the Bear Bug bad...:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*for Knoefz (down below), how cool...another rare bear...#4 of 30
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  12. folder geek

folder geek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Where's Vlad? Im sure he's got a pic or two:D
    Cheers

13. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Nice thread!
    Here's mine... a rare bear ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kniveswords and anvil_den like this.
  14. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Man, that SE Bear logo is very cool, knoefz. Really sweet Neon and I see Scrim has added some detail shots of his, too. Nice ones, guys!

15. Mtneer

Mtneer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2003
    My new Jeans. I remember the first time that I saw one. I think my comment at the time was who make that beauty.

[​IMG]

16. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    I just looked on my computer and didn't find any good solo pics of my 111. I've posted these on a couple threads already, but will put 'em up here until I get some better shots. The 111 is everything I wanted when I bought it--a big-ass, beautiful Russian knife!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Oh yeah bladeforums needed a thread like this!

My one and only, would love to pick up more as funds allow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nfd538

Nfd538 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2015
    The only Shiro I've had and wish I still did. Still the smoothest knife I've handled.
    [​IMG]

19. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Thanks for the kind comment Chazzy. I designed that logo for the Shirogorov Bears (collectors on another forum)... Sergey himself picked it to put on 30 knives :)

anvil_den likes this.
  20. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Obviously a very appropriately posed pic, Mtneer. I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the knife as you get some more time with it.

At first blush, that Eastern, S-shaped style with the hooked handle and upswept blade was not something that checked any boxes for me. I've seen some CKFs and others similar that I just flat-out hated. When I first saw the Jeans I was somewhat surprisingly not put off, and looking at yours and, having spent more time checking the model out, the knife has some features that I favor and it's kinda growing on me.

I've always liked knives that present the cutting edge to the work and allow the hand to be out of the way without an exaggerated wrist-cock. The arc of the Benchmade AFCK along with its generous belly comes to mind, but achieves it in a different manner. Nice belly on the Jeans and the upsweep is really very slight--the handle shape and belly make it look much greater than it actually is. As much as I love Shiros, there's kind of a sameness to their blade shapes and the Jeans blade is certainly a departure.

I like the one-sided fuller on the Jeans and the way the jimping cuts through the spine there. When I got my 111, I had to have one with a fuller as it not only looks way cool, but is a great way to open such a damn big knife discretely without alarming innocent bystanders.

So, please do share your thoughts with us after you've had some experience with your new baby. You spent two Shiros to get one and it would be interesting to know if you thought that worthwhile.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016