The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Thread needs a bit of a bump, so here's the Shiro I picked up last week from one of our good members here on the Exchange. As much as I love my flippers, the Tabargan has always interested me and I was really pleased to pick this one up. It's kind of the Shirogorov version of a cross between a Benchmade TSEK and a CRK Annual. It has great Axis action with a bit of that Chris Reeve hydraulic-like smoothness. This one fits my hand maybe better than any knife I've ever held. Of course, the gorgeous marbled CF scales by Shepard CC not only look great but add immeasurably to the great feel of this fantastic specimen. Damn, I love this knife!

pHXl0St.jpg

CHrcjFb.jpg

We're off to Vermont in a couple days and I'll get some good pix of my 111 in the beautiful autumn light up there.

Last edited:
So, please do share your thoughts with us after you've had some experience with your new baby. You spent two Shiros to get one and it would be interesting to know if you thought that worthwhile.

Like you, I was so so on the Persian blade shape, but really wanted to try it. Like all Shirogorovs, the action is awesome, and the Jean has the added benefit of allowing for thumb opening using the blood groove. I personally love designs like this that have flipper tabs and open with thumb or finger flip (The Ferrum Forge Archbishop is my current favorite for this reason)
Like the neon, the Jeans has a finish on the blade that is so even and smooth that is seems like it is coated. Almost like np3 if you've ever seen that on a firearm.
The thing the really stood out to me is the weight, or I should say lack of weight. The milling on the inside of the scales make it deceivingly light.

Overall, I put the Jeans up there with the Custom Divisions that I've owned. Maybe not quite as desirable as my old CD 95cf but really close.

In the end this one will pass though my hands as many have. I just like to try many knives. Especially Shirogorovs. I tend to keep the users and let the higher end pieces move on to others who can enjoy them as I have. You might even find this one in the customs FS area now [emoji6]

I've been trying to get some decent solo pics of my 111 the last few days without any luck. As it didn't rain all summer here, it's now raining interminably and the light is terrible. I was building some cedar and fir panels for the job over in the shop, but the work light is too harsh there and I deleted all those I shot today. I did find the top pic on my computer, cropped the other knife off, and re-sized. The bottom pic is from the seller when I bought the knife new on the Exchange in early summer.

Aside from picking up Shiros in the last few months, I've been filling in the classic Benchmade wing of the collection as well, finally getting both a TSEK and an AFCK. I was really struck by the similarity between the latter and my 111, so I've posted a pic of the 806 here for comparison. Any number of Russian knives besides Shiros have similar handles and share that arc from tip to butt.

fVaZJic.jpg

OdsynlH.jpg

oZcjwTa.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet 95, Lex! Really like the milling on those anodized scales.

I just looked on my computer and didn't find any good solo pics of my 111. I've posted these on a couple threads already, but will put 'em up here until I get some better shots. The 111 is everything I wanted when I bought it--a big-ass, beautiful Russian knife!

MeF5fcD.jpg

ZUNUWkz.jpg

I love this F3.

You can buy that flag Shiro on Rusblade.com but I'm not sure of their legitimacy. Any experiences from buying through Rusblade.com?

They have a couple knives I really want but haven't heard any feedback from other members yet. RussianWoodstock, Is that your site? I've seen you on Ebay too.

You can buy that flag Shiro on Rusblade.com but I'm not sure of their legitimacy. Any experiences from buying through Rusblade.com?

I'm fairly certain that is Russian Woodstocks site. He can verify. And if so, he's legit. Good person to do business with.

Sweet, good to know! Then I'm gonna pull the trigger on a few I've been drooling over!!! Thanks for the info...

I've had this S90v mod 95 since March of 2012. It was from one of the first batches TNK
offered. I love the looks and build quality of Shirogorovs.

1uQmsHn.jpg

QDW2khf.jpg

Last edited:
Back