The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

The 5/6 grind suggests it’s an F3R if an early model as the base model F3 has a full flat grind. You’re probably right that’s it’s an earlier F3 before they produced the two serial tiers. Does it have a titanium backspacer? What steel? Just curious, I have an F3R that looks just like it with M390 and is probably my favorite knife other than the room it takes up in the pocket
Titanium Spacer, S30V for the blade. The grind is throwing me off, too - along with the old style clip. Some more pictures below;

Photos

I think it's an f3r. Someone can chime in, but they had "R" designations throughout generational design changes, correct?

The box itself does not have an R - unsure if that's something that was specifically cited as a different model in the early days, though.

7rEZQYj.jpg

I think it's an f3r. Someone can chime in, but they had "R" designations throughout generational design changes, correct?
My take is it's definitely not an F3R. The only time I've seen the R (for Renewed) designation used is on the change of the two F series--F3 and F95--as well as the Hati back in 2017. On the F series knives, the new features included the change to MRBS, adding steel underlay washers to the pivots, redesigning the pocket clip, and milling out weight reducing pockets on the slab interiors. At the time these Renewed models were introduced they were also considered to be in the Three Bears category. Interestingly, the F95T Turtle never used the R designation despite Shiro considering it Renewed.

I looked at Pompous Pompous 's two sets of pics at Imgur and at his box label. Other than the blade grind, his knife bears all the hallmarks of the older version of the F3. If his knife was indeed an R it would be designated F3R on the box, which it is not. I don't believe there have ever been any SRBS or S30V R series knives made. The box label does indicate a separate FS, which is Shiro's code for 5/6ths blade grind with jimping. I had always thought that the 5/6ths grind originated on serial knives with the advent of the R series, but since that time I have seen more than one older serial knife with that grind and jimping. In the past there was more variation in features from one run of knives to the next within each model category including different steels, blade grinds, and jimping.

Regardless, Pompous's knife is very sweet and, while probably not unique, is at least quite unusual. Nice pickup there, P. :cool: :thumbsup:

My take is it's definitely not an F3R. The only time I've seen the R (for Renewed) designation used is on the change of the two F series--F3 and F95--as well as the Hati back in 2017. On the F series knives, the new features included the change to MRBS, adding steel underlay washers to the pivots, redesigning the pocket clip, and milling out weight reducing pockets on the slab interiors. At the time these Renewed models were introduced they were also considered to be in the Three Bears category. Interestingly, the F95T Turtle never used the R designation despite Shiro considering it Renewed.

I looked at Pompous Pompous 's two sets of pics at Imgur and at his box label. Other than the blade grind, his knife bears all the hallmarks of the older version of the F3. If his knife was indeed an R it would be designated F3R on the box, which it is not. I don't believe there have ever been any SRBS or S30V R series knives made. The box label does indicate a separate FS, which is Shiro's code for 5/6ths blade grind with jimping. I had always thought that the 5/6ths grind originated on serial knives with the advent of the R series, but since that time I have seen more than one older serial knife with that grind and jimping. In the past there was more variation in features from one run of knives to the next within each model category including different steels, blade grinds, and jimping.

Regardless, Pompous's knife is very sweet and, while probably not unique, is at least quite unusual. Nice pickup there, P. :cool: :thumbsup:

Appreciate all the feedback and thoughts from everyone here - the note about the FS indicating the 5/6 grind ties that question up neatly.

Looking forward to getting familiar with the knife and making it somewhat my own - thanks again friends!

I’ve been really enjoying the F3 micarta. What a great tool! I’m thinking that it’s a bit bulky for summer shorts carry, which had me looking at the Neon as a potential addition to the lineup.

Can someone here help me understand the difference between a Neon Zero and the Neon NL (other than the $150 price difference)?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve been really enjoying the F3 micarta. What a great tool! I’m thinking that it’s a bit bulky for summer shorts carry, which had me looking at the Neon as a potential addition to the lineup.

Can someone here help me understand the difference between a Neon Zero and the Neon NL (other than the $150 price difference)?

Thanks in advance!
The Zero has a titanium backspacer, M390 blade steel with a 5/6 grind (a small flat section just between the jimping and the primary grind) and full titanium handle scales whereas the NL has a stand-off and three bars to protect the tip from catching when closed, Elmax steel with a full flat grind and Micarta inlays. Both have MRBS.

The Zero has a titanium backspacer, M390 blade steel with a 5/6 grind (a small flat section just between the jimping and the primary grind) and full titanium handle scales whereas the NL has a stand-off and three bars to protect the tip from catching when closed, Elmax steel with a full flat grind and Micarta inlays. Both have MRBS.
Thanks, I can see the difference in the backspacer/standoff now. As well as the 5/6 vs full flat grind. Are the full Ti and micarta inlay scales roughly the same thickness?

Would one of you Shiro heads, ChazzyP ChazzyP , Mr.sig239 Mr.sig239 , Chuck_Nunface Chuck_Nunface , etc please explain the hierarchy of Shirogorov knives, from top to bottom?

I know a little, but I don’t know a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Tiers from basic to elite, of course, at the level of Shirogorov even basic models are done extremely well.

1) Production knives. No limit to quantity. Typically offered in MRBS (multi-row bearing system) and M390 for the more premium offerings. There are some in SRBS (single-row bearing system) and Elmax for a slightly reduced price - more approachable for newcomers to the brand. Elmax is an excellent steel and shiro does all of their own internal heat treatment on all blades.

1.5) Production knives - factory modified. These are similar to the premium production knives but have slight modifications such as anodizations or laser engravings and sold via official dealers. Examples are the Mayo F95 and the TI2 Hawaiian etched F95. These are just cosmetic changes.

2) Special edition. These are collaborations such as the Sinkevich and CRK collaborations. Typically in MRBS and a more premium blade steel than M390, such as S90V, S110V, M398, etc. The number made of each release is between 200-300 on average. These are a step above production models and are similar to the custom division models coming up next.

3) Custom Division. These are typically done in S90V and use the SRRBS (single-row roller bearings system). Think of rollers instead of bearings; these provide better lateral support to the blade but are reportedly less drop-shut than the MRBS (or even the SRBS). These are very limited in number, only 30-50 units are made per model. A single custom division maker at shiro custom division team works on a knife from start to finish, whereas the production models can change hands during the construction amongst different people at shiro.

CD and special edition pieces use CD screws (or Sinkevich screws) for the body screws. These require special bits that are only found in special pens such as the Sinkevich pen tool and the CD pen tool (very rare and costly, about $400 table price but good luck finding the CD pen tool)

4) Full customs. These are made by Sergey Shirogorov himself. They use premium steels, anything from S90V to damacore and damasteel. The bearing system is DRRBS (dual-row roller bearings system). These are extremely hard to come by and command prices in the thousands, if you can find them. The pivot screws used are a duckfoot shape and only Sergey has the keys so only he can work on them.

Note:
Approximate table prices
Basic production models ~$600-800
Premium production models ~$700-1,200
Modified production models ~$1,000-1,600 (Lottery)
Special edition models ~$1,600+ (Lottery)
CD models ~$1,800+ (Lottery or auction)
Full custom ~$3k+

Last edited:
Adamas Adamas , it's really not uncommon for a new knife, even a high quality piece like a Shiro, to have a little tactile or audible lockbar release when closing. A brand new interface will require a little while to wear in the spot where it locks up. It most likely will begin to feel freer as it breaks in, but even if there's just a taste of a click left when releasing that just means the knife is locked up securely.

It is free as a bird now. Like butta. Thank you for the feedback. I am already thinking about my third Shiro…maybe a Quantum.
Give it a couple days, you should be fine. With the F3, its a little tough to clean the lock bar face, but wipe off the part of the tang that interfaces with the lock face to clear off any oil that might be left on there form the factory. Might help.
All good now!

Well, I wasn't in the market for a new Shirogorov since I've already got more than enough. Truth be told, I've got too many already. But, this thing showed up at R-1 and being a sucker for green, I said happy Father's Day to me. ;) I'm sure my kids will be happy for the gift they unknowingly got me.

4HgrPhf.jpg

Well, I wasn't in the market for a new Shirogorov since I've already got more than enough. Truth be told, I've got too many already. But, this thing showed up at R-1 and being a sucker for green, I said happy Father's Day to me. ;) I'm sure my kids will be happy for the gift they unknowingly got me.

4HgrPhf.jpg
I have been very tempted on both f these recent F95r drops...I may not be so strong next time.

Back