The Beer Scout Knife

I'm on the list for a smooth bone and maybe's on the rest. Looking forward to this one since I missed out on the first scouts.

For those of you who despise bails, I believe these can be removed from the knife; of course this will leave you with a 'lanyard hole' in the bare end. I guess it's not a bad thing tho....

Personally, I think the bail is a nice addition, and you won't have any excuse for loosing your knife! :)

Great. A production cap lifter. Would have preferred a cap end bolster...But...I'll take it.

That's the first thing I thought of! I think it is hard to make the end cap look good with the EO notch.

I don't mind a bail, I've got some lanyards with glow-in-the-dark skulls to attach to them, for the whole traditional aesthetic thing. :)

I wonder if GEC will be selling skull beads in Sunbrite acrylic?! :rolleyes:

Guys, I have been lobbying GEC for months to make the Beer Scout, and I'm ecstatic that it is finally becoming a reality! Don't worry too much about reserving these as there should be PLENTY to go around! I don't sell knives I don't have (yet), but I have several dozen factory models ordered plus an additional order of SFO's. There may be more SFO's by other dealers as well. Everyone should have ample time to score one or more of these beauties! August is the predicted release date. :)

Where does one join up with the Beer Scout Troop?

Thank you, Barry! This is great news! Let's face it, GEC is going to take your suggestions more seriously than those of a few emails sent after one-too-many Heinekens. Another example of all the great work you do for your fellow enthusiasts. :thumbup:

In answer to your question, I think there is a flow chart around here where one path leads to Eagle Scout and the other ends up at Beer Scout!

I wonder if they'll make a soda pop scout?

The chestnut sawcut bone is the one I'm looking for.

Dean

I wonder if you can fit Root Beer Scout on a shield?

That is true Barry. After a few Heineken's I tend to lose things. :eek::D

Maybe GEC will offer a version without the knife blade, to cut down on the numbers of lost digits. :p

I like to imagine that initial testing of the Beer Scout in Titusville resulted in too many lost knives, leading GEC engineers to add the bail, complete with glow-in-the-dark lanyard and skull beads! :D

Last edited:
Always love seeing the great mods you do BigBiscuit, looks stock or even smoother from as far as I can see~

I do wonder if the 'beer scout' with bail, large shield will look 'streamlined' though. Seems like a mesh of all the options that everyone asks for at one time or another. Especially the easy open notch. Much appreciated for someone who has R.A in the finger joints like me.

T

Not too hard at all Scott. Here's one I did not too long ago. You just wouldn't be able to do the lanyard hole and/or bail. Have to choose one or the other.

It didn't say "w/tube" thus I'm assuming a built on bail which would require a little more mechanican (red neck spelling). But I will confirm.

It will be a tube with a "made to fit" bail. But that will make removal easy.

There have been several dealers watching the customization's on here and begging GEC to run them. Thus, this is a one of those niche setups that BF posts has gotten the factory attention.... :thumbup:

Since there will be bone models, the end cap would leave a tiny sliver of fragile bone near the EO cut out. Many, many old EO jacks have a piece of bone missing there, and I think this issue drove the barehead/EO notch config.

This will be a very cool knife, though. Sort of like a Radio Jack in that it is a 15 pattern with brass frame and NS bolster, only with the excellent and office friendly sheepfoot blade, and the EO notch just puts it over the top!

Imagine Brazilian Bloodwood covers....

Bob BigBiscuit, you are the Emperor of EO mods! Those of us who are younger or more fortunate don't really appreciate the EO notch as much as we should. There are a lot of folks like T (Ryouchijtx) who, through RA, a lifetime of hard work, or just bad luck, need that EO notch to make the knife a user. Some of us like the EO notch just because it looks cool. But if we are lucky, we will all live long enough that we might actually need that EO.

I want to thank Mike and Barry for representing us so well with GEC. All of our Dealer/Enthusiasts make the Traditional Forum an unusual place where customers can actually have a dialog with retailers.

Imagine Brazilian Bloodwood covers....

OK, Barry, you just made me drool on my computer keyboard.

Last edited:
Aha well said Dr. Scott. I'm only 22 so I'm a bit of an anomaly but having some more purchase while opening is a godsend especially in the winter. The thread has me constantly on my toes for any news about this upcoming release. This Summer shall be a mighty fine one.

Tim

Bob BigBiscuit, you are the Emperor of EO mods! Those of us who are younger or more fortunate don't really appreciate the EO notch as much as we should. There are a lot of folks like T (Ryouchijtx) who, through RA, a lifetime of hard work, or just bad luck, need that EO notch to make the knife a user. Some of us like the EO notch just because it looks cool. But if we are lucky, we will all live long enough that we might actually need that EO.

Always love seeing the great mods you do BigBiscuit, looks stock or even smoother from as far as I can see~
T

Gotta agree with the man! + 5K! Another fantastic EO mod, Bob! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

Should be interesting to see how they do these. Here's one from a shoe company early 20th. It's a permanent bail though.

Dean

Not too hard at all Scott. Here's one I did not too long ago. You just wouldn't be able to do the lanyard hole and/or bail. Have to choose one or the other.

Very nice work, Bob. That tempts me to buy one and send it to you to take a bite out of it.

Thanks for all the great information, Mike and Barry! I had a feeling this would be the case with the bail being easily removed. Why would they do it differently. Just makes sense.

Thanks for the compliments fellas. For the record, I like the Scout with the bareheaded, EO notch and lanyard tube. That would be my preference. I think it presents the cleanest look.
My EO mods came from a necessity initially because of arthritic fingers, but it has also become something I also like aesthetically too.

This is the only EO W/ bail I have, (not a caplifter though) made by Camillus. It's do-able, although I agree - the bone looks really weak. OTOH, this one is still in good shape... Barehead suits me just fine though! This will likely (well, hopefully anyway) be an epic run for GEC. It's pretty awesome to see a manufacturer actually listen to their customers!

BB's EO with bolster is what I was thinking of. But, from a warranty POV, I can see Barry's point about that little piece of handle just past the notch. Either way, I think it's going to be a great knife. I also like the idea of a tube lanyard vs just a through hole.

Back