The best fake by far

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why didn't they get it right from the beginning?

Absolutely - so long as you tell them what changes to make, as you seem Hell bent on doing.

If you don't want to buy fakes: 1) don't buy from sellers without an established reputation for integrity; 2) if it's too good to be true . . . .

Have any of the fakes pointed out here been put on the market by reputable dealers? Or are most from Giant Nnife Deeler in Hope Kong?

rycen, loose lips sink ships. We better delete this thread NOW!

Don't you think that fakers could just scour the internet and find reviews of fakes to see what they point out? Idk, fake products exist in damn near every industry and guess what? People usually know they're fake to save some dinero. The average person who isn't into knives may pick one up, say the spin, but probably if you aren't into knives you'll be getting the cheapest POS out there. Seen this first hand from friends in college.

There is a cost to describing the differences (there is the possibility the fakers know what to changes), but I figure the benefit of knowing what not to buy is greater. And do you buy literally every knife from a dealer? Never on BF exchange? People unknowingly buy fake goods. I've seen this happen to, the seller who didn't know is informed and they pull the knife down (seen this too).

Knowledge is power. Simply not talking about it just puts us at a disadvantage.

Now back to your normally scheduled programming....

The screws being hex and not torx is just about the only thing that I can see on that. Blade finish doesn't look spot on, could just be me on that though. Only hope is that if they do get so good and match the real deal 100%, that the price would just not be competitive anymore. I hope.

Yah. Those Asians are sure dumb, unlike people in N.J. They will never think to use Google to perfect their fakes since no one ever told them about the power of knowledge. 0___0

And it must be more powerful to explain how they can do "better" than merely identifying the slime that sell fakes.

Thomas I'm not being argumentative and I really don't want to take the thread in a different direction but I have a question for you.

If Spyderco themselves or any other companies that fakes have been discussed on this website thought it was more harmful than good it wouldn't it be stopped? There is a sticky up above this forum related to fakes and on Spyderco's home forum there's an entire section.

The other companies that I can think of right now that have discussions about this are Boker,CRK and Busse. Not of those three as far as I know I've asked for these type of discussions to be stopped.

Here's a quote from the moderator of this and their home forum regarding fakes.

Spyderco is registered with the VeRO program. Two separate registrations in fact. We work very closely with EBay and have had success with having certain auctions removed. However, please keep in mind, there are many things going on behind our doors that we cannot discuss here. Ultimately, having "Bob's" auction taken down is not always in our best interest. Does it cause an issue for "Bob"? Of course, but it may not have any affect on the bigger picture.

Our biggest resource though in this constant battle is you. The links that ya'll post here are key to our ability to address this issue. Not just on EBay, but on the internet as a whole. As I said when I started this sub-section, we would never be able to duplicate the number of eyes on this problem in-house compared to all of you. You are highly educated on the topic of Spyderco and byrd. You are interested and motivated and you genuinely care.

So, please keep doing what you're doing. Post links when you find questionable items. It may not seem like it, but I promise, we are looking and we are following up with each and every post.

Spyderco takes great pride in what we do. 33 years of hard work, our commitment to quality high-performance products and always striving to do business in a fair and proper manner is not something were willing to sit back and watch get diluted or worse.

We sincerely thank you, each of you, for looking out for us. It does not go unnoticed and it is always appreciated.

Kristi

I read post after post that fakes are getting "better' - that is, worse for the brand-owner and customer.

I read post after post about fakes on ePrey and about how the fakes stay listed, a pattern I see myself.

The fakers are not brainless and will make their fakes "better" with no help.

An email to the brand-holder, a thing I have repeatedly done with little effect, is more likely to get a listing removed than threads about how to build a better fake.

Your quote asks you to ID listings of fakes, not provide details about how those fakes fail to convince.

At the end of the day, if you want to fake something like a knife, just buy the knife and copy every detail to the T. Fakers inability to do so just shows they are imbeciles. We're talking about things you'd notice if the people making the fakes simply held their POS next to the real deal. They get close enough to fake the casual buyer, but if you spend a few seconds comparing pics, then you'd see it.

The information here just saves a few minutes of searching around online and still doesn't show them exactly what needs to be changes to get 100% there...something that'd be incredibly easy by just comparing to the real thing. I'd like to think we're saving knife nuts more money than we're saving the fakers time. They'll get the information one way or another regardless, still has to be better to make ourselves aware of it then turn a blind eye and just hope the problem resolves itself.

Last point, when you email the brand-holder, the knife company presumably, do you just send an email to the general info@ type emails? Not a bad idea, though I don't see them having much more power in taking down a sale than us.

Good that they are imbeciles. That explains why the fakes are getting further and fuither from the item being faked. [Insert irony emoticon here.]

ePrey claims they respond to brand-holders, who in any case are obliged to take action if their brand is misappropriated or lose their property in their brand. Almost always, I get a reply from the company thanking me and assuring me they will take action. Fallkniven does express frustration. One CHINA faker is using their box in the primary (and usually only) picture. In a show of buyer intelligence, his $39.00 "F-1's" are getting no takers.

Given that ePrey has the morals of a maggot, I doubt they do more than they are forced to do.

It seems like a lot of the same sellers keep coming up as being sellers of the fake knives. They keep claiming they acquired them through buying a "lot" of knives, which to me sounds like bull. Seems more intentional than anything else. I am an honest person and if I found out that something I was buying and reselling was fake, I would find a new place to buy from that sells the real thing.

I buy a lot of my spyderco knives from White Mountain Knives on ebay and he is a very nice guy and takes care of his customers.

Same seller as before, replied to my message but ignored me. I see some poor bastard paid $81 for the last one.

Is anyone reporting these to ebay, and if so are they doing anything about it when you do ?

Yup, sent a message to that buyer telling them it was a fake and how to tell and showed them what a real one looked like, didn't seem to care.

Yup, sent a message to that buyer telling them it was a fake and how to tell and showed them what a real one looked like, didn't seem to care.

Yes, I read your post above about that, and was talking about Ebay, not the seller. I thought they had a policy about not selling counterfits, but I'm not really sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back