The best knife to ever come out of the Swamp?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Huntsman Knife Co., May 12, 2011.

1. climbingrocks

climbingrocks

Jan 9, 2008
    Ratmandu. Consistenty reported as being one of the most comfortable handles in the business. Great steel.

2. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Ian,
    Damn! Those are sweet!
    What is the one on top? Is that a Howler?

3. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    Chopweiler. Not only the best knife to come from the Swamp but imo the best knife to come out of any Busse shop. I like it over the Ratweiler due to its drop point and no sub hilt grip.

RMD has to be up there too just out of usefulness.

4. Bumppo

Bumppo

Jan 27, 2006
    Satin Battle Rat.

5. wjswiger

wjswiger Banned BANNED

Feb 27, 2011
    I own and love the Regulator Test Team Edition with the respirene(sp) handles and I love both the heft and the comfort. However, I really want a Ratweiler as it appears to be a damn fine knife!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....

6. voracious1

voracious1

Aug 10, 2011
    :thumbup:
    Close second is the first generation howling rat.

7. Sethrotull

Sethrotull Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 4, 2009
    While I have never tried any of the "weilers" I would be hard presses to find a finer knife than the Vex.

So there is another vote for the Vex.

8. Thrill

Thrill

Sep 9, 2010
    Did I say Ratmandu yet?

9. snwbrdr202

snwbrdr202 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Mastiff/Battle Rat still gets my vote!

[​IMG]

10. Gravelface

Gravelface Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2005

Truer words have never been spoken

11. Halveye

Halveye Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Rucki (Tanker Gray/Black-Tan G10), the perfect extension of a strong arm. Amazing balance/weight.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  12. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    mmmmmm, I saw a Rat Hunter in a pic there, That is one blade that will take an act of congress to get outta my hands......

one of the first collaborations with the Swamp Rat under "The Bully" and one of the most popular sheath styles I've ever made. :)

13. TLA

TLA Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Right now my favorite is the Rodent 9. I love the handle design as it really lets me get different grips while chopping and at the same time not sacrificing comfort. To me it's a chopping machine.

Tony

14. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    Battle Rat.

15. Dinges

Dinges

Sep 30, 2012
    Amen. Finally someone who agrees:thumbup:

16. wetdog1911

wetdog1911

Sep 29, 2002
    My fav and the very first knife I bought from SRKW right after they opened.

The most used though is the second knife I bought, the Camp Tramp. This was followed by the Bandicoot and then the Battle Rat. The Coot left, I could never warm up to it, but the other 3 are still with me after more than 10 years. Still the most used and favorites of anything that came out of the swamp. I think they got it 90%+ right with these first 4 offerings and should have pretty much left it there, or at least kept them in production.

I do really like the HRLM though, along with the nice sheath from Leatherman. Just haven't used it much yet. If it had Res-C grips rather than micarta it would be perfect.

Wet

17. voracious1

voracious1

Aug 10, 2011
    My rat tail is one of my two edc, the other being a skelly warden i carry for work.
    That's a great wrap Josh!

Jody

18. Gravelface

Gravelface Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Same thing with the Coot. Just couldn't get a feel for it. The Gen 1 howler was my 2nd knife from the Swamp (battle rat was the 1st) and still have it. About as perfect as a knife can get.

19. Turbo Tension

Turbo Tension

May 6, 2010
    I have only one rat, as only one rat has really ever caught my eye. RMDx. I like it so much I've thought about sending it in to be coated as the pommel area is starting to look rough.

20. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I love the M9 (middle) one of my favourite all rounders. This thing is light and fast, but is brutally strong.

[​IMG]