The Bushfinger thread

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Bmurray, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Darth Blader

Darth Blader

Nov 11, 2016
    It's good stuff.. Even better after a little mineral oil.

2. Luca917

Luca917

Jan 10, 2016
    I just sold my one example of that combo. I loved it, but needed to move some knives. Mine was set up pretty much the same way - with the bolster. It was a Surls Arowana, and just awesome. Sad to see it go.

Now you've motivated me to take a pic or two with a knife and steering wheel. Hahahaha. Out to the trucks!

3. Darth Blader

Darth Blader

Nov 11, 2016
    I thought that might get you going.

4. Luca917

Luca917

Jan 10, 2016
    Something inspired by you over in the W.A. Surls Knives forum. Completely diverted my well planned day. It's gone from a planned dump run, kitchen clean up, gym routine, and grocery stockpile, to...checking the oil, working on the transmission linkage, donuts in the field, and knives...lots of knives.

I am forever indebted.

5. pertinux

pertinux Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Very much so! Nice one, Tony. :)

The density of ironwood leads to a smoothness (when finished well, as Fiddlebacks are) that is almost indescribably good in hand, where the material's substance, texture, and warmth-in-use come together. That ironwood also looks as good as it does...?! Booyah!

Barring further revelations, I'm leaning towards a Bushfinger as my "big knife." 1/8" TT would likely serve me well, but I am still thinking about how much I enjoyed the feel of 5/32" TT on (at least one example of) this model, the extra whomp-whomp.

A general question about individual preferences: What is your preferred blade thickness and treatment (SFT or TT) for the Bushfinger, and why?

[Do any of you actually prefer SFT to TT, once past 3/32"?]

~ P.

6. Scotcha

Scotcha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Stunning Bushfinger Tony. Ironwood is my favourite handle material.

7. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Bog Oak Bushfinger Duo
    5/32" TT on the left | 3/32" SFT on the right​

[​IMG]

8. Luca917

Luca917

Jan 10, 2016
    Oh Jerry, for the love of oak...

9. fatboyclone

fatboyclone Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Nice pair, Jerry!

10. Southern Gent

Southern Gent KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2015
    Here is a nice burl Fanger with one of my Hermits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. heat_treat

heat_treat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2015
    That burl looks pretty amazing. :thumbup:

Looks almost like striated stone.

12. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    WOW. That's beautiful Justen.

13. NUTRAMAC

NUTRAMAC Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 8, 2014
    Stunning Justen!
    Is that black ash burl?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  14. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Pretty!

15. Southern Gent

Southern Gent KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2015
    Either that or oak. I just call it "bad ass green burl". Easier to remember.

16. Odaon

Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    It's finally here! From the Outpost to the Phillipines to the UK to Colorado with an extra long visit to US Customs. Well worth the wait...

You'll be seeing a lot more of this one. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    That looks to me like, something you've been looking for; the right everything No?

18. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

19. Odaon

Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Not only does this one check a lot of the boxes, but it's the one that started me on my OD kick.

I was looking through Fotki around X-mas and noticed that all of the OD and brown canvas were the ones that kept catching my eye. Then I was browsing the dealers for OD and found a BF that was OD, natural, and white, and remebered this BF that the Outpost sold. I posted up a long shot WTB for both of them in mid January and a few days later Jules reached out and said he had this one and would sell it. I just had to wait until March when he was somewhere he could ship it from.

The orange stripes are awesome with the natural and OD canvas! This is probably my favorite combo, closely followed by the same with blue instead of orange which doesn't show up very much. :thumbup:

20. VANCE

VANCE Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    thats cool

Jules is good people.

i got the Wingman back yesterday BTW