The Case Barlow is BACK

picture first, review second. best two Case purchases in a long time. 6.5 bonestag came today. F&F perfect. action was a little slow on the yellow, but improved with a quick lube. they know the barlow market and GEC are hot. that is why these are selling so briskly. good move on their part and I am impressed, but it still looks like QC is lacking for some. shame any have to sent back. on the other hand, I just got a slimline trapper with a hint of side to side blade play. my biggest pet peeve. Case can be real good, but they try to crank 'em out to fast. sorry some of you got duds. hope you get satisfaction.

I preordered a single blade last night. I can’t wait to see how these turn out. Hopefully my 2019 rapid acquisition of knives will subside with this purchase.

I placed the preorder for the single blade also. Hoping for better quality control than what slipped out the door with my last Case Barlow.

And no, this will not slow down your knife purchases.....

Last edited:
Ok boys/gals just got in my antique bone barlow! And its going directly back for return. Total and complete disappointment. Blade jammed against liner, no closing snap at all, gaps in bone liners on spine, rounded tip, ground nicely near the kick but almost no grind toward the tip. I didnt bother to examine further. Its back in the box and about to go back to rocky hill blade jobs? Cant believe I paid about 70 and and days of anticipation for this. I like the size a lot though and the bone does look nice. I dont have imgur or any of that so youll just have to take my word for it.
I can understand your frustration. Seems as though the dealers should at least give a once over real quick for flaws. A quick once over, they would have caught this one.

Last edited:
View attachment 1077302 Just sent my antique bone barlow back to Case to have the blade adjusted. I really like the knife, but it should have never left the building like this. Not thrilled with paying for shipping to Case, but a return to the dealer was going to cost me anyways. With better quality control they would have knocked it out of the park with these knives.
Again, It's too bad the dealer couldn't catch this.. I hear ya about the shipping charges.

I usually leave a note if theres an option for order notes. Something generic like: "Please ensure fit and finish of knife is of best possible example in regards to blade centering, edge, handle matching, snap, etc." In hopes that they might glance over the knife before sending. Missed opportunity on this one. I sent that back and am awaiting a Lionsteel barlow now.

I have the Caribbean and Antique bone and I did not notice any major issues. Not proud tip for sure. I did notice a few voids or small pin holes in the Antique bone and was going to see if anyone else noticed on theirs. But, still, I knew I was not going to send back for that. I kept the price in consideration for sure. I need to get a few photos up of them.

I usually leave a note if theres an option for order notes. Something generic like: "Please ensure fit and finish of knife is of best possible example in regards to blade centering, edge, handle matching, snap, etc." In hopes that they might glance over the knife before sending. Missed opportunity on this one. I sent that back and am awaiting a Lionsteel barlow now.
Yeah good idea for sure.

A12FE697-CB10-4643-A56F-7E5BC2456193.jpeg 3E54E3E4-A9E9-45C7-AC6E-6EF55E10E6C3.jpeg C0001C5B-B349-46D4-960A-15AE0CB9C617.jpeg. E842E350-2F26-4436-8D0E-36749A220FD6.jpeg

Does anyone else have these small voids in the Caribbean bone?
Must be a spear issue. The clip is sunken down in well. The clip looks worse than it really is in the front on photo, and a little blurry. From the side, it’s raised but not too bad. I’ll keep it.

Maybe I missed an earlier post, but I see that Case will run the single blade with a Boy Scouts of A cover. Looks pretty nice.

I just got my smooth red bone barlow so here's a short review. First the bone has some imperfections but that just adds to the appeal for me. Next the color is absolutely dark red on this one and it is really beautiful.Transitions from bone to bolster are great,centering of both blades are perfect.The brass pins are completely smooth to the bone,but the only small flaw is slight gap between the spring and bolster on the clip blade side, but does not concern me enough to return it for another, so overall I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

Case's clip-point looks awful and the spear-point looks like they rounded the tip off BIG TIME. Case really needs to take a hint from GEC and make some decent stuff these days. They make junk that has blade play and fair finishes. No thanks.

Last edited:
I just got my smooth red bone barlow so here's a short review. First the bone has some imperfections but that just adds to the appeal for me. Next the color is absolutely dark red on this one and it is really beautiful.Transitions from bone to bolster are great,centering of both blades are perfect.The brass pins are completely smooth to the bone,but the only small flaw is slight gap between the spring and bolster on the clip blade side, but does not concern me enough to return it for another, so overall I'd give it a 9 out of 10.
OK, I've ordered one of these pretty much based solely on this little review! I asked for a retailer screening so hopefully I get a 9 out of 10 like you, Homer! :thumbsup:

Case's clip-point looks awful and the spear-point looks like they rounded the tip off BIG TIME. Case really needs to take a hint from GEC and make some decent stuff these days. They make junk that has blade play and fair finishes. No thanks.

No idea what you're on about... where's your knife to show for it?

All four of mine are near flawless... I don't see yours...

No idea what you're on about... where's your knife to show for it?

All four of mine are near flawless... I don't see yours...

Flawless compared to what?

You don't see mine because you're new here. Case knives of 15-20 years ago were great. Not so much anymore. I don't accept it when a company's product gets worse in the quality department over the years. Everything should be improving. I have owned plenty of them and I have also handled about 40 of them in the last 5 years at a local store. Every single one has blade play and uneven grinds and are generally sloppy compared to the Case knives of old. It's a shame.

A guy I work with just bought a patriotic kirinite Barlow from Case. Scales look good but it has blade play and the grinds are poor.

Case still rounds the tips on many of their knives due to lazy sharpening.

Last edited:
Back