The Case Barlow is BACK

When I discovered that Case was introducing a new line of Barlows, I knew that I was going to end up with a couple.

Out of the 4 that I intend to acquire, the first of them showed up yesterday and I thought I might give my initial thoughts on it. Whenever GEC puts out a new release, I try to give them as thorough a review within my capabilities and I will attempt to be as thorough and as objective in this case as well (no pun intended).

The knife that arrived is the Case Barlow. Specs below:
  • Single Blade Spear
  • Antique Bone covers
  • Stainless blade and spring
  • Nickel silver bolsters and brass liners
  • Half stop
  • Closed length - Around 3 5/16"
  • Pull is about a 5-6

umW2h4L.jpg

jszP3u5.jpg

First impressions are favorable. This isn't a perfect knife but it isn't a bad knife either, especially for the price. The action on the knife is very pleasant, the walk-n-talk being audible and tactile, pulls being about fair to middlin'.

Though the fit and finish is not awful, this is where the marks against it start to stack up. Now, please bear in mind that these are largely subjective and don't really bother me when it comes to a knife at this price point but I find it worth noting all the same.
  • The shield is not inlet very well, there are gaps on the bottom side that I can fit a fingernail in.
  • The blade is not centered. Though there is no rub, it favors the pile side noticeably.
  • The backspring is not flush at the half stop or anywhere close. To me, this is not an issue but due to how much the spring protrudes, I found it worth mentioning.
  • The biggest gripe that I have is the proud tip. It sits well above the blade well and I noticed there isn't a whole lot of kick there to be able to make any adjustments.

vEjyo3c.jpg

eSo1E7I.jpg

LLWvjI0.jpg

Overall, it is a good knife and after a bit of honing, it will be a nice addition to my stainless lineup. I will look forward to checking out the other variants as they become available. Aside from the proud tip, everything else seems to just be aesthetics and do not effect the function of the knife. I suspect it will make for a nice slim carry.

WhPr9DX.jpg

Thanks for the review and details. Do the pile side covers match well with the mark side?

Andrew

When I discovered that Case was introducing a new line of Barlows, I knew that I was going to end up with a couple.

Out of the 4 that I intend to acquire, the first of them showed up yesterday and I thought I might give my initial thoughts on it. Whenever GEC puts out a new release, I try to give them as thorough a review within my capabilities and I will attempt to be as thorough and as objective in this case as well (no pun intended).

• Single Blade Spear
  • Antique Bone covers
  • Half stop
  • Pull is about a 5-6

umW2h4L.jpg

jszP3u5.jpg

First impressions are favorable. This isn't a perfect knife but it isn't a bad knife either, especially for the price. The action on the knife is very pleasant, the walk-n-talk being audible and tactile, pulls being about fair to middlin'.

Though the fit and finish is not awful, this is where the marks against it start to stack up. Now, please bear in mind that these are largely subjective and don't really bother me when it comes to a knife at this price point but I find it worth noting all the same.
  • The shield is not inlet very well, there are gaps on the bottom side that I can fit a fingernail in.
  • The blade is not centered. Though there is no rub, it favors the pile side noticeably.
  • The backspring is not flush at the half stop or anywhere close. To me, this is not an issue but due to how much the spring protrudes, I found it worth mentioning.
  • The biggest gripe that I have is the proud tip. It sits well above the blade well and I noticed there isn't a whole lot of kick there to be able to make any adjustments.

vEjyo3c.jpg

eSo1E7I.jpg

LLWvjI0.jpg

Overall, it is a good knife and after a bit of honing, it will be a nice addition to my stainless lineup. I will look forward to checking out the other variants as they become available. Aside from the proud tip, everything else seems to just be aesthetics and do not effect the function of the knife. I suspect it will make for a nice slim carry.

WhPr9DX.jpg
Thanks for the review. I'd return it myself because of the proud tip. No excuse for that.

Thanks for the review. I'd return it myself because of the proud tip. No excuse for that.
Indeed! The pair I purchased had none of the flaws you mention. I don't count the spring not being flush at half stop as a flaw, as I seldom spend any time in that position. The tip should certainly not be proud when closed, both of mine are well fitted.

• Single Blade Spear
  • Antique Bone covers
  • Half stop
  • Pull is about a 5-6

umW2h4L.jpg

jszP3u5.jpg

vEjyo3c.jpg

eSo1E7I.jpg

LLWvjI0.jpg

WhPr9DX.jpg
Thanks for the fine review Dylan . I agree with you on the proud tip being very objectionable . It looks like there may be just enough Kick left to remove to fix the problem that you should not have to deal with but do have . I also got one just like yours and it has a few issues but fortunately mine does not have anything as big as yours . Still at the price point , they are still not bad . If a person is collecting Barlows , as I am , they need one from 2019 . I also intend to get another one .
Harry

I recieved my Antique bone arived yesterday, and it as well had a proud tip when closed. More than likely going to return it. I also find it far too thin (proportionately) for my liking. The two bladed is probably the perfect width, but I absolutely hate Case's clip blade for this pattern, and they aren't making any 2 bladed spears. Oh well.

Caribbean arrived today. I must say I am pleased with it - blade is reasonably centered when closed, no wobbly stuff going on when open, and back springs are flush when closed and when opened. :thumbsup:

Cosmetically speaking, F&F seem as good as I've seen on many of my newer new Case knives, with seamless-feeling transitions. I do like the color - and I am ok with the shield - although without it I think we would've had us a real home run ball! :eek:;)

NK1DlZz.jpg

oZuQbxn.jpg

Last edited:
I visited the Case website the other day hoping to get some information on a 22087 that I have, and saw the Barlows.
Both of the two blade versions are "Sold Out".
Will Case make more, or is/was this a "special run" not to be seen again for decades?

Not to worry.. CASE will keep cranking them out as fast as they can!! Its how they roll.. QC may get more iffy also.. JMO..
John

Thanks for the review and details. Do the pile side covers match well with the mark side?

Andrew

I didn't think to take a picture of the pile side since they are just about identical in texture, color, and overall appearance. It is currently pouring down rain, I will try and snap a pic when there is a break.

I have never returned a knife and the thought didn't cross my mind... I know us knife enthusiasts are pickier than most and sometimes I think that gripes I might have are a bit superfluous but you might be right, the proud tip is certainly a flaw as opposed to simply a cosmetic issue.

I'll think on it some.

Indeed! The pair I purchased had none of the flaws you mention. I don't count the spring not being flush at half stop as a flaw, as I seldom spend any time in that position. The tip should certainly not be proud when closed, both of mine are well fitted.

I don't consider the spring not being flush at half stop a flaw either. I noted it simply because it is something that folks tend to look for. Several of my GECs are not flush in that position either so I don't think it is a big deal really.

Thanks for the fine review Dylan . I agree with you on the proud tip being very objectionable . It looks like there may be just enough Kick left to remove to fix the problem that you should not have to deal with but do have . I also got one just like yours and it has a few issues but fortunately mine does not have anything as big as yours . Still at the price point , they are still not bad . If a person is collecting Barlows , as I am , they need one from 2019 . I also intend to get another one .
Harry

I definitely agree that the Case Barlows are worth adding to one's collection. I opted to acquire a couple of the single blade ones as well as a couple of the 2 blade ones. I am mulling over filing the kick a bit, before I do so, I might shoot Mike an email and get his take on it first.

Just make sure if adjusting the kick, you do not end up with the blade snapping into the spring pin.

Russell

I appreciate the tip. It is something I have never attempted before so it is certainly something I am cautious about attempting.

Caribbean arrived today. I must say I am pleased with it - blade is reasonably centered when closed, no wobbly stuff going on when open, and back springs are flush when closed and when opened. :thumbsup:

Cosmetically speaking, F&F seem as good as I've seen on many of my newer new Case knives, with seamless-feeling transitions. I do like the color - and I am ok with the shield - although without it I think we would've had us a real home run ball! :eek:;)

NK1DlZz.jpg

oZuQbxn.jpg

A beautiful knife!

I find it interesting that none of the Caribbean Bone I have seen in the wild look like the stock picture. Which is a good thing, in my opinion.

I am mulling over filing the kick a bit, before I do so, I might shoot Mike an email and get his take on it first.

I took a look, and the kicks on both main blades on each knife have been filed and properly fitted at the factory. The kick of the pen blade on the delrin handled knife appears untouched (but didn't need to be). Adjusting a kick is no big deal to do, with a proper file, but one shouldn't have to do it on a new knife.

I definitely agree that the Case Barlows are worth adding to one's collection. I opted to acquire a couple of the single blade ones as well as a couple of the 2 blade ones. I am mulling over filing the kick a bit, before I do so, I might shoot Mike an email and get his take on it first.
I am assuming you are talking about Mike at CK ??? Good idea . I also have one of the Blue ones with the Stamped Bolster on reserve there .

Harry

As Dylan mentioned, his Barlow doesn't have a whole lot of kick there to be able to make any adjustments. The tip not only needs to be lowered, it needs to be lowered enough to leave room for future sharpenings as well. There doesn't appear to be enough "wiggle room" to accomplish that. With the kick already that close to the edge, blade rap seems inevitable as well.

NK1DlZz.jpg

oZuQbxn.jpg
I have to admit that they do look much better in your photos than they do in the dealers pictures . :):):thumbsup:

Harry

NK1DlZz.jpg

oZuQbxn.jpg

• Single Blade Spear
  • Antique Bone covers
  • Half stop
  • Pull is about a 5-6

umW2h4L.jpg

jszP3u5.jpg

vEjyo3c.jpg

eSo1E7I.jpg

LLWvjI0.jpg

WhPr9DX.jpg

Forgive me, but is it time for a new prescription or am I right in seeing that the faces of the barlow and bolster are flat? They don't appear to be as convex as my TC or my 80s Case Barlow. I've got one on the way in Yellow Synthetic and I'm just curious are they flat or somewhat convex. Thank you gentlemen and beautiful knives there! I can't wait for mine!
-Jacob

I didn't think to take a picture of the pile side since they are just about identical in texture, color, and overall appearance. It is currently pouring down rain, I will try and snap a pic when there is a break.

Thanks for the info. No need for a pic---just curious if they matched and you answered that.

Andrew

Forgive me, but is it time for a new prescription or am I right in seeing that the faces of the barlow and bolster are flat? They don't appear to be as convex as my TC or my 80s Case Barlow. I've got one on the way in Yellow Synthetic and I'm just curious are they flat or somewhat convex. Thank you gentlemen and beautiful knives there! I can't wait for mine!
-Jacob
As compared to my 2 Case Barlows with tang stamps of CASE XX U.S.A. both my Case Barlows from 2012 and 2019 bolsters are lessed arched and the 2019 bolster is about 1/16 longer . The 2012 and 2019 bolsters have very little arch to them but they are definitely not flat on my Antique Bone edition . They also have to match up with the bone so I wonder about the nice looking Blue one shown by GE Jr GE Jr .

Harry

As Dylan mentioned, his Barlow doesn't have a whole lot of kick there to be able to make any adjustments. The tip not only needs to be lowered, it needs to be lowered enough to leave room for future sharpenings as well. There doesn't appear to be enough "wiggle room" to accomplish that. With the kick already that close to the edge, blade rap seems inevitable as well.

On the spear point I have, the forward end of the kick was filed enough at the factory to bring the tip below the edge the liner, without the blade touching the back spring when closing from the half stop position. I would however be wary of possibly causing the spring to become slightly lowered from flush in the closed position (hence it may be a job best sent in).

Back