The cleaver discussion thread.....

Yup,something like that is what I wanted to do,but I wanted to leave the markings on the blade.
Maybe cut it vertically at the 5" mark & say to hell with the markings.I want a user not an arm abuser.;)
And make an Ulu out of the cut off end.Hmmm...the wheels are turnin' now.:eek:

Well if you need any help, I'm not very good at the "grinding" aspect, but I'd like to think my designs are pretty nice. :)

I wish someone would make a "hard use outdoor cleaver" with modern materials, for a reasonable price. BKleaver has a nice ring to it !!! :D

I'm just sayin'. :D

Well, now you have the Italien Messer, conveniently available from Baryonyx Knife Co. Not your traditional cleaver, but ain't nothing wrong with a pointy tip on something.

OK,I've about got it done & decided to go in a different direction with the beast.
I cut the top corner off diagonally instead of horizontally,I like the meaner look & it now has a useable point.
And now it only weighs 2.45 lbs with scales & pins vs the 2.85 without the scales before cutting it down.
I didn't bother to get all the warts off,because it will be a user,but I did scotch-brite the blade then light sanded with 400 grit & blued it.
I stained the scales with dark walnut & still have to apply some boiled linseed oil & do another blueing.

Before....

DSCN0089_zpsff1b687f.jpg

And after....
DSCN0076_zps8ed1aae4.jpg

DSCN0072_zps8a992cd8.jpg

DSCN0077_zps7a861e51.jpg

DSCN0078_zpsb6d38ef8.jpg

DSCN0080_zpse5cd43c9.jpg

DSCN0079_zps836600f5.jpg

DSCN0062_zps2726466c.jpg

DSCN0075_zps573f7d73.jpg

DSCN0083_zps17c99a97.jpg

DSCN0085_zpsc54913dc.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I would have left the blade shape just since they don't make 'em like that anymore, but it turned out great! The finger notches you added are a nice touch that many folks back in the day seemed to like adding to their cleavers as well.

I stained the scales with dark walnut & still have to apply some boiled linseed oil & do another blueing.

You might consider using raw linseed oil or mineral oil on the scales if you plan to use this in food preparation. The additives in modern BLO are not food safe.

Actually, no, not really. Looking for something more traditional. Nothing against those designs. Just not for me.

Was looking for a large traditional style cleaver, on the smaller side of large (as compared to the F. Dick 16" Beef splitter). More like the F. Dick 10" Butchers Meat Cleaver http://www.madcowcutlery.com/store/pc/F-Dick-10-Butcher-s-Meat-Cleaver-74p1525.htm , only with a few mods. I would like the edge closest to the handle to be bearded with a nice sharp point & for it to be thick enough & of the proper steel to stand up to heavy batoning, yet kinda balanced when choked up on it. Maybe i am asking too much.

Hmmmmm ;) Now, if someone would make a reasonably priced HD outdoor cleaver, that i could modify myself...............KaBar.......................... :D

Like this, only without that price. http://www.mineralmountain.com/cleaver.htm

I'll be getting those in eventually, along with the beef splitters. :D

Yeah they'll be mostly "just for fun" but they're just too cool to resist. :D They're actually very handy for folks that hobby farm, from what I understand. Good for everything from sheep/goats up to beef.

You might consider using raw linseed oil or mineral oil on the scales if you plan to use this in food preparation. The additives in modern BLO are not food safe.
Thanks for the heads up,but I'll only be processing wood with the beast.

Nice! I would have left the blade shape just since they don't make 'em like that anymore, but it turned out great! The finger notches you added are a nice touch that many folks back in the day seemed to like adding to their cleavers as well.
Thanks,I'm not a big fan of finger notches,but with the weight of this thing I wanted to make sure my hand didn't move around while chopping as it did before I added them.

You guys have some nice cleavers! I'm looking for a lambsplitter myself.
What I have right now is:
-Old Hickory 767, 7" cleaver. Stock except I convexed it.
-Old Hickory 767, 7" cleaver. Convexed and mustard-etched with my wife's initials.
This is a stock photo of those two...
oh767j.jpg

(This image is property of KnifeCenter and is used for reference only.)

And one I made myself...
8" highly-polished blade, O-1 steel at 55 Rockwell. It goes from 1/4" thick at the handle to a tapered 1/8" thick at the very end. High convex grind. Simple red oak handles secured with Chicago screws. Lined lanyard hole. No photos right now.

You guys have some nice cleavers! I'm looking for a lambsplitter myself.
What I have right now is:
-Old Hickory 767, 7" cleaver. Stock except I convexed it.
-Old Hickory 767, 7" cleaver. Convexed and mustard-etched with my wife's initials.
This is a stock photo of those two...
oh767j.jpg

(This image is property of KnifeCenter and is used for reference only.)

And one I made myself...
8" highly-polished blade, O-1 steel at 55 Rockwell. It goes from 1/4" thick at the handle to a tapered 1/8" thick at the very end. High convex grind. Simple red oak handles secured with Chicago screws. Lined lanyard hole. No photos right now.

I like the pattern on the Old Hickory blades & would love to see your 01 cleaver.

I have a few cleavers. This is an older picture so I've picked up a few more along the way. I have three that I've cleaned up, repaired the original handles, sharpened and now see use in the kitchen or when camping. I'm going to take one of the Foster Bros "8" and have redone with a modern micarta handle. The rest will probably stay as original as possible.

100_0291.jpg

Back