The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

cool coin, saw it in another photo too...the knife is cool too. :p

Thanks! The Half Sovereign (half a Pound sterling or 10 shillings as it was) and Sovereign mostly carried this design of St.George & The Dragon- still does on the coins struck by The Royal Mint in 2020. Sovereign coin weighs around quarter ounce c 7.5g and was supposed to match the value of 1 GBP of gold. In August 1914 most of the combatant countries- Britain, France, Austria-Hungary, Germany, Russia all used gold coins in circulation but this very soon stopped within days as gold prices soared and paper replaced the coins in circulation. But many citizens wisely hoarded their gold coins;) I believe gold ownership was outlawed in the USA for a while by FDR in the early 30s. It's cool stuff alright, but just imagine PAYING for goods in a shop with gold, and these coins were over 18ct in purity.

XRjtbdE.jpg

For me, the hardest part of coming up with a picture for the "knives and blank" threads is trying to find a pairing that is not just random. I think this one works. GEC 74 Mustang with a 1912 Mexico Peso.

edit: In my opinion, this period of Mexican coinage produced some of the most beautiful coins ever made anywhere.

Cdnb1VB.jpg

Last edited:
Back