The Grand Unified Grit Chart

They suggest a 400 mesh as the grit size there, which translates (roughly) to 37 microns.

Missed that one the first time around, thanks! I'll add that to the next revision. :)

I think I will also be presenting the next revision as both an image screenshot, and through Google Docs, so everyone can play with the numbers if they want.

This is great info, thanks Komitadjie! Would it be possible to post this as a shareable spreadsheet, like in Google Apps/Google Drive? I'd like to be able to download the sheet and remove portions that I don't need. Just a thought.

- Tim

Thank you for posting this. I've always struggled converting between grits and microns, so this is very useful to me. Is there any way you could add buffing/stropping compounds to the list? I know some have a wide range of particle sizes (like how chromium oxide claims 0.5 microns but often has much larger grits mixed in), so it may be hard. It would be really interesting for buffing purposes, as the names are really generic and confusing... green rouge, white rouge, red rouge, white diamond, tripoli, bobbing, etc.

Can we add the 3m finishing films to GUG? i use the psa poly backed aluminum oxide finishing films at 50, 40, 30, 15, 12, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, .5, .2, and topping out at .05µ which should be 1,000,000 grit i think..the GUG needs lower numbers...and there is the cubic boron nitride in .75, .5, .25, .125, and .1µ

Can we add the 3m finishing films to GUG? i use the psa poly backed aluminum oxide finishing films at 50, 40, 30, 15, 12, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, .5, .2, and topping out at .05µ which should be 1,000,000 grit i think..the GUG needs lower numbers...and there is the cubic boron nitride in .75, .5, .25, .125, and .1µ

Putting things already labeled in microns on this chart is redundant to me. Also 0.05u is equal to 320,000 grit not 1,000,000 grit.
The CBN also goes much coarser , all the way to 200 and 300 microns. Then we would have to add Poly Diamond , Mono Diamond and Boron Carbide as well. Which are again all already measured in microns making it redundant , and clogging up the chart.

Where do the Naniwa Superstones fall in here?

Those are Japanese waterstones, so I'd assume they're graded to the JIS standard ('Japanese Industrial Standard'; first column). Vendor info shows 8 grits available from 220 through 12000 grit (see vendor description for the Naniwa Superstones below). Comparing those values in the JIS column, to the other columns in the chart, should give some idea as to how they compare to other stone/abrasive types.

Available in the following Grits

220 Extra Coarse Grit - This grit is excellent for establishing a new bevel angle on a tool or knife. We also recommend it for extremely dull or nicked blades. This sharpens very quickly.

400 Coarse Grit - This is a coarse stone that is about as coarse as you’ll need if you never have an edge that is too dull or damaged. This stone is not necessary if you have the 220 grit.

1000 Medium Grit - This stone is very popular grit because it is really starts to refine the edge. This stone refines the edge after using the 220 or the 400. If your edge isn’t very worn, you don’t need to start any more coarse than this.

2000 Fine Grit - This is fine enough for many applications. In the kitchen, this stone will leave your knife with an edge better than most factory edges. At this level, this stone is considerably finer than any stones marked "fine" available in stores.

3000 Extra Fine Grit - This is an good final stone. Many people will use this after the 1000 grit stone. This stone is fine enough to be used prior to the 8000 grit stone.

5000 Very Fine Grit - This is a good final grit for many tools and knives. This stone works wonderfully well after you've used the 1000 grit. This stone is also fine enough to be a good stone prior to the 10,000 or 12,000 grit.

8000 Extremely Fine Grit - This stone is extremely fine. This is a wonderful final stage for most knives or tool edges. We recommend using this after the 2000 or finer grits.

10,000 Extremely Fine Grit - This stone is extremely fine. It is slightly more fine than the 8000. This is a wonderful final stage for most knives or tool edges. We recommend using this after the 3000 or finer grits.

12,000 Mirror Polish Grit - If you want a truly superb edge, this grit is so fine that your edge will shine like a mirror. After using this stone, the edge will not appear to have any grit marks at all.

David

Last edited:
Not sure. Send me an email, and I'll attach the copy that I have to a reply.
Seems that ImageShack is no longer hosting the images.

Would you mind posting the latest version of the original chart again? It really is an absolutely great resource!

I did find a reformatted/recolored copy [which I'm just linking to] in another forum that links to another forum.

Source: http://www.razorandstone.com/showthread.php?1738-Grit-to-Micron-Comparison-Charts&p=18887&viewfull=1#post18887

Please Note: Per loonybin, this chart is out of date.

-Pie

Last edited:
Seems that ImageShack is no longer hosting the images.

Would you mind posting the latest version of the original chart again? It really is an absolutely great resource!

I did find a reformatted/recolored copy linked from another forum… to yet another forum:

-Pie
That one is very outdated.

That one is very outdated.
Oh, uh… oops! Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't save off Komitadjie's last, so I have no frame of reference. I did try to check dates, but there was no way to know when something was created, only posted.

-Pie

buBmjBx.jpg

Thanks, fervens.^^

I would've sworn I saved a copy of that some time ago, but darned if I could find it. I was starting to kick myself... :)

David

Hi guys! I recently got a new knife. It's a spring assisted opener. After havering it for about a week, it started to make a rattling noise when I shook it. Now it's starting to make the noise when it's closed, but still fainter than when it's opened. Do you have any advice for

the Edge Pro 1000 and 2000 are reversed in the table. The progression should be 600, 1000, 2000 not 600,2000,1000.

Is there an excel spreadsheet version available?

Thanks

Frank
Actually, they are not reversed. The micron size of the stone was confirmed, but the micron size of the polishing tapes has not been verified, so they weren't moved from where they were originally thought to be. As far as I know, the micron size of the polish tapes are basically unknown.

the Edge Pro 1000 and 2000 are reversed in the table. The progression should be 600, 1000, 2000 not 600,2000,1000.

Is there an excel spreadsheet version available?

Thanks

Frank
Actually, they are not reversed. The micron size of the stone was confirmed, but the micron size of the polishing tapes has not been verified, so they weren't moved from where they were originally thought to be. As far as I know, the micron size of the polish tapes are basically unknown.

Back