Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

I like my No2
But a few larger would be nice too

20190830-210443.jpg

20190830-210524.jpg
And by the way Miller. You may have just started yet a other quest/obsession/collection for me. Now I'm going to need different sizes. Thank you.

I didn't have much time after work today. But enough to uncover an old Simonds etch on that 5' falling saw. It has info etched into it regarding raker depth and cutter set. It's pretty cool! Does that help date it? Definitely older that a lot of the ones I see.
SyIF0d6.jpg

Crescent ground. Regarding set and raker depth it says "requires very little set and hardly any in frozen timber. rakers one thirty second lower than the cutting teeth for soft wood and one sixty fourth for hard wood" no 325.
Says a lot more too.
ghTe5M5.jpg

And here's a couple axes; KATCO and a Snow and Neally. Both with overlaid bits.
jRYRnON.jpg

6Ymp4rW.jpg

There's no makers mark on this one but it's an oldie;
L2rL70V.jpg

I cleaned these two items up as well. The one "thing" with teeth was handmade and I have bo idea what purpose it served. Any of you recognize what it could be?
F8kPosG.jpg
KuFKXfx.jpg

Most everything else, while pretty cool, isn't really post worthy in my opinion. Have a great holiday everyone!

KuFKXfx.jpg

Most everything else, while pretty cool, isn't really post worthy in my opinion. Have a great holiday everyone!

I was going to say a leather stitching perforation chisel thing, but I have no idea. Awesome finds, man
In the leather realm one guess might not be a “pricking iron” but instead it’s a pinking iron.
08-E89-AC2-7515-43-B1-A6-B5-650554-D59953.jpg

But I don’t know. The handle looks to come to a bit of a fine point. A little rough maybe, was it blacksmith made?

Those remind me of the automatic center punches marketed by General Tools here in the States. The aluminum one (model #77) has a light spring and is great for wood. The steel one (model #78) has a heavy spring and is better for marking steel.

That's cool how that second punch is added to it.

The retractable sleeve on your aluminum punch reminds me of a Vix-Bit - made for drilling centered holes for door hinges and the like.

45714F34-5EA6-40E1-B172-04D3304BDE80.jpeg The thing that looks like a second punch is just a pivot. All the punching is done with the axial tip. The sleeve on the Aluminum punch holds a punch instead of a drill bit. So you mark the hole and then drill it. You can even mark the hole for door closer bracket screws.

Back