Reamer Possibly the No 182 - 2"

The Toledo Pipe Threading Machine Co. Ohio

20190913-212844.jpg

20190913-212913.jpg

20190913-212921.jpg

20190913-212905.jpg

20190913-212833.jpg

Last edited:
And this thing is just neat. A Decatur Coffin Co. Spiral Screwdriver.

Stamped Pat. Oct 7 1884. Thought I should add that. Apparently there were 4 patents. This was the 3rd as I recall.

Dad's friend George did a lot of cabinet work and George had one of these along with a similar looking device that had interchangeable bits to drill pilot holes in wood that he used when he mounted hinges, pulls and other assorted hardware. I think the first time I saw George's screwdriver I must have stared at it working for half an hour wondering where that long diamond machined shiny shaft went when he push down on the handle. I am sure it is the same as when kids are at the barber shop for the first time and they stare at the spinning barber pole and wonder where the stripes go. Another illusion in life. I also wondered why George needed to wash each screw before he drove them in? Well, I am assuming he washed each screw because I saw him scrape bar soap onto the threads of each screw he used? Pretty much every one of these drivers I have seen has had the nickel finish worn off down to the brass. I suspect they changed to chrome at some point to keep them from wearing the shiny off the parts. The first tool I ever purchased in the late 1960s was a Stanley push drill with a gray plastic handle that had small compartments to keep the different size bits separated and a red plastic threaded cap that kept them from escaping. At some point the screwdrivers came with a chuck so that the driver could be changed to different sizes and even a Philips driver was then available as hardware was becoming more modern. The chuck also was useful to keep the driver from jumping out of the screw's slot and buggering up the wood! It seems as though the more "modern" we get the more expensive things get. I don't know how much George would have paid for his screwdriver and drill when he bought them, but, like a carpenter's hammer and handsaw, they earned their keep many times over.

I don't know who has their name on the patent for these devices, he is undoubtedly long gone by now, but, I still think they are one of the best ideas for a tool that would speed up a man's work that doesn't need electricity to operate.

found this old Disston hand saw on the floor of an old barn at a friends house. do you think it is interesting enough to warrant asking him if I can take it home and clean up? I've seen you guys talk about Diston saws before. any clues to its age?

doesn't appear to be damaged at all - just really dirty from laying in an old bank barn for a half century or two.

found this old Disston hand saw on the floor of an old barn at a friends house. do you think it is interesting enough to warrant asking him if I can take it home and clean up? I've seen you guys talk about Diston saws before. any clues to its age?

doesn't appear to be damaged at all - just really dirty from laying in an old bank barn for a half century or two.
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html
Here is the link phantom knives gave me. It's on the page before this post #296 I think? It helps you date them by medallion. And yes they are all worth saving LOL.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html
Here is the link phantom knives gave me. It's on the page before this post #296 I think? It helps you date them by medallion. And yes they are all worth saving LOL.

Thanks! that link is very helpful. I'd have to look closer to narrow it down - but looks to be somewhere between 1940 and 1955. I'll have to see if he minds if it goes home with me.

Were you able to see the model number at all? Should be a D- number towards the left side.

No, I'll have to look at it again next time I'm over there. At the time I didn't look at the blade very carefully at all because it was kind of dirty and I wasn't thinking about there being any markings on it.

Back