Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by phantomknives, Jul 19, 2018.

1. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Looks like a plaster job. He's a hack though.

Hairy Clipper likes this.
  2. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Holy crap! That guy is such a pro!

I bet he was equally fast using the hatchet for lath work.

Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.
  3. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I disagree. You just need to get the board up and he's doing it well and pretty clean. The guy with the trowel has to make it look good. I'd follow behind that guy. No complaints.

Fmont, Hairy Clipper and Yankee Josh like this.
  4. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Yeah I totally agree! That's incredible! Faster than I can do it with a roto zip and drywall gun. (I mean automatic self feed Senco with screws on a strip). Really impressive!
    I've hung a lot of drywall over the years and mud and taped a bunch too but it's always sporadic so I'm never able to get really efficient at it. That's really impressive to see how fast and good he is with that hatchet. Evidently I measure too much! Lol.

JoeP01, phantomknives, Fmont and 2 others like this.
  5. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    If you are going to score and hammer out outlets the least you can do is score the back side also. Leads to popped, broken rock around the outlets that must be repaired with little behind it. I was taught at one time to do it that way and am thankful that I learned better later on. But as long as it's faster...

6. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I think one of the things we are constantly learning here is that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Yankee Josh and Hairy Clipper like this.
  7. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I have not heard that since dad passed in 1991. I heard it quite often before that.

Fmont, Trailsawyer and Yankee Josh like this.
  8. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    The trick is catching the cat when he knows you're gonna skin him.

Fmont, A17, Yankee Josh and 3 others like this.
  9. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    alright guys, i'v been wanting to do this for a while, this is my "pre-ww1" tool box filled with tools that are, you guessed it, pre-ww1.

I challenge you guys to build a themed tool box like this if you can!

10. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Whittled down a shovel handle for the 7 inch scraper and finally put a handle on the old pusher broom that has had half a handle on it for about 15 years.Found the scraper in a bucket of scrap headed for the dump it has a p stamped on it.[​IMG]

11. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I lve an old tool when it has been re-handled or re-purposed.

We call that scraper a spud.

12. npace

npace

Oct 24, 2019
    Stopped into an antique store on the way home from work and this saw jumped out at me. Disston d8. The medallion dates it to the 30s and no later than 1940. The blade is 27” long. Pretty good shape and the best part is it was only $8.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A17, jake pogg, Square_peg and 4 others like this.
  13. TRfromMT

TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    An old plane I use now and then.

20180609_090413~01.jpg

Inherited this and some other old hand tools from my Father in Law about 15 years ago, along with an old Winchester model 57 .22 short. The .22 and all the tools were stored in a damp cardboard box in Hawaii for far too long and took a lot of cleaning up, but all came back to serviceable condition.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Trailsawyer, A17, npace and 6 others like this.
  14. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Interesting plane! And cool story too. Recieving items from family is always so cool. My father in law has given me some really cool things.
    Looks like I can see some letters on the iron? What is the stamp? Can you take a photo of it?
    Oh and lastly, what kind of wood is that? The grain structure looks like Doug fir to me but the color looks like pine!

15. TRfromMT

TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    @Yankee Josh it says Gage Self Setting Plane.

I haven't researched it too much, but I believe it is at least 100 years old (and perfectly functional, I might add).

https://workingbyhand.wordpress.com/tag/gage/

No idea about the wood, but Doug fir was my guess as well. Buddy of mine in construction gave it to me - a single rough plank, 20' long, 2x10. Not a knot or check in 20 feet. I made a bench out of it using just hand tools (as an exercise to see if I could, but my elbows hurt for weeks!)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  16. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Nothing special but they come in handy on occasion. Wish they made one for the striker plate. It was really cheap at local antique store.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    A few, non-axe pieces to come across the work bench on this rain & sleet soaked day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No 1035 made in China

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4lb Woodings Verona US 97 Drilling Hammer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T.H. Witherby 1¼" Gouge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14 TPI
    12 X 4 Backsaw

18. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Nice stuff Miller! All beautiful and fun to look at! A fun way to spend your time no doubt... Looking at that witherby... being the bevel is on the outside wouldn't that mean it's used for dowels? Or at least on the outer circumference of something? I'm not all that well versed in chisels even though I'm a carpenter!

Meek1, Hairy Clipper and Miller '72 like this.
  19. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Thank you Josh:cool:
    Good question :D An absolutely astute observation that escaped me:cool::thumbsup:
    I do not know the answer:(:rolleyes:

Paging @Brian Rust :)
    I know @Brian Rust knows chisels

Yankee Josh likes this.
  20. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    It can be used for dowels, but it is just a plain outcannel gouge. I have a Buck Bros. one that is quite handy to have around.