Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

Chisel is marked. O-K (little) A- M (little) O. Anyone have any idea??

I was thinking the chisel trademark was separated into syllables, like how it was pronounced, O-Ka-Mo = OKAMO.

OKAMO was a trademark of the Richards & Conover Hardware Co. of Kansas City, MO.

This issue of Hardware Age from 1964 lists OKAMO as their trademark for garden hose, roof cement, shovels, scoops, roof coating, sledge & hammer handles:
content

This page from a Richards & Conover catalog, supposedly dated 1936, shows an OKAMO Michigan Pattern axe, and an OKAMO Western Pattern axe, along with three patterns in the "NEW WEST" brand, a Rich-Con axe, and a couple Plumb Dreadnaughts:

414ab4d686b36ff2dddb029bc8da85de--hand-tools-hand-made.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/390335492696832974/

Wow great job Steve!! That must have taken a while. I could not find a damn thing haha. Thanks man!!!

those are some really fancy screwdrivers, what exactly do they do different, are they just straight shafts with a turning cap?

The knurling gives a good purchase on the shank. The bearings are ceramic and low friction. The cap allows downward pressure on the bit/fastener. I didn’t think they would be a huge improvement over my other drivers, but I was wrong. They are a joy to use, and they speed up my assembly and disassembly operations.
The tool is Titanium, but the magnet insert that holds the bits has just the right attraction.

Last edited:
I like those!

Are they available as Torx Pin-in? I'm currently working with a lot of security hardware.
You have to furnish your own bits. The bit set in the picture happens to be a Wiha TORX Plus assortment.
The brand is Rain.Z Knives.

Last edited:
I picked this little guy out of a pile of scrap. It appears to be a Buck Bros cranked (yes, I know what I'm talking about) 3/4 inch chisel. It needs some work but I'm just happy I saved it. The photos are of it along with some relatives. It's the rustiest one.
IMG-0552.jpg

IMG-0554.jpg

I picked this little guy out of a pile of scrap. It appears to be a Buck Bros cranked (yes, I know what I'm talking about) 3/4 inch chisel. It needs some work but I'm just happy I saved it. The photos are of it along with some relatives. It's the rustiest one.
IMG-0552.jpg

IMG-0554.jpg

Cranked chisels are a nice find. Especially a buck bros. Make sure you put a copper/brass
ferrule on whatever handle you make. Or the one you purchase has one. That tang will crack it with hand pressure. Awesome find!!!

Reactions: A17
Green Woodworking and Hand Tools

Englishman Harry Rodgers joins a merry band of Bodgers to ". . . cut down a tree and make a chair from it, all within one day. So that involves splitting out the wood, pole lathe turning, steam bending, assembly and Shaker tape seat weaving..all to be completed in a day." And have a cup of tea too!:p

Bob
Pretty dang cool. I enjoyed the lathes. I guess when the "springy green" wears out of the "return" poles, you use them for kindling and cut some more.

yIDvT0g.jpg
D6ljYCS.jpg
l6nTu8f.jpg
4dGuAWQ.jpg

apparently these aluminum/bondo/wood files, what ever they're meant for, have a special type of handle you'd use with'm, at least that's what the guy told me.

I really like these pliers, they're like channel locks but they kinda slide into the right size, i can see these being pretty useful, one of the ends used to have a flat head driver on it but it's long since snapped.

yIDvT0g.jpg
D6ljYCS.jpg
l6nTu8f.jpg
4dGuAWQ.jpg

apparently these aluminum/bondo/wood files, what ever they're meant for, have a special type of handle you'd use with'm, at least that's what the guy told me.

I really like these pliers, they're like channel locks but they kinda slide into the right size, i can see these being pretty useful, one of the ends used to have a flat head driver on it but it's long since snapped.
Thats a nice handle.
Vixen files work well with wood. I use a rounded one more often. They leave a cleaner surface than a rasp.

I've collected tools for a long time, I didn't even realise I was collecting for many years!

I'll try & post some of the more unusual, starting with these lovely adjustable wrenches, assumed to be coach bolt wrenches from way back.
They appear to be marked "Somborn" & "Montan Werks".

poRq5hS.jpg

zeHcYmH.jpg

Back