The history of the schrade 8ot from 1960 to the 2004 anniversary knives.

Back in 1973 I found a Schrade 881 in a Gun Shop in George Street, Sydney Australia. This old 881 is still my Every Day User.
Since that time, I started to collect Schrade knives - and as the Schrade 4" knives quickly become my son's knife of choice, I started to collect more and more Schrades.
My son used, abused and destroyed many of my 8OT Old Timers. He then decided some of my BUCK 301s were a better knife.
As a non-collector, my son did not know the Buck 301s he was using; were made by Schrade around 1966-67. (Buck collectors can always dated their knives)
This is the Buck 301 knives that Schrade made.
image.php

So this week when I found a seller on eBay, trying to deceive would-be collectors with a : "1965 Schrade 8OT".
I asked the seller, "how do you know the knife is a 1965 Schrade 8OT". This question to date can not be answered; so I would like all the information available.

Re: The 1960-62? Schrade 8OT.
Larry 303 says: “the extended back wedge to Master blade was only on the first few years production 8OT's so it is possible to date within about two years....its a handy tool to look for particularly if someone has re-handled a later model with bone handles......the wedge on the genuine bone handle 8OT Circa 1960 extends to within 3 of the last three match-strikes....the wedge on the first two years production 8OT's with Delrin Handles extends over the first 7 match-strikes in the match-strike nail nique but not as far as the bone handle but substantially further than those 8OT's from the later 1960's...I have noted this is consistent....”
This is a 1960-62 Old Timer 8OT.
image.php

I have some 8OTs in hinged boxes and some in tubes; I would like to know more about these 8OTs, that all have Mach-strike pulls and Walden blade stamps.
This one is Pre: 1973. There is a big gap and No history on changers from about 1962 to 1973.
image.php

Some Schrade 8OTs came with the Schrade N.Y. U.S.A. stamped blade and still came with the match-strike pull.
Schrade8OTPairMatchstikeBoxed.jpg

I have four John Primble 935 Old timers, all made by Schrade around 1971-73. I have a recept for one of these knives dated Dec 1971. (8OTs with a Primbel stamp)
image.php

These knives were made after 1973.
image.php

I do not know when this knife was made, some time after 1973 I would say.
image.php

This is a mid-1980’s 8OT.
image.php

This is a 1986 Red Bone 8OT - This knife came in a 3 knife set..
image.php

This one looks like one of the last 8OTs, made around 2003?
image.php

I would say this Schrade ACB 80 was the last of the 4” knife made by Schrade - Schrade closed down before they went into production.
image.php

Last edited:
To-date this is what I know myself: about the Schrade 8OT knives made from 1960 to 2004.

The first 8OTs were made from 1960 until 1973 and the tang stamped “SCHRADE WALDEN N.Y. U.S.A”.
These knives had Match-strike pulls (early knives had a different match-strike pull)
From 1960 the first ???? knives had Saw-cut Bone handles.
There is a ten year gap here, were all the knives look the same

After 1973 to 1977 the tang was stamped “Schrade N.Y. U.S.A” some of these knives have the Match-strike pull and some have the straight cut nail pull.

From 1977 to 2004 the tang was stamped “Schrade U.S.A 8OT” and the nail pull was straight cut.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN... Ken.

This is a Frontiersman 8OTY, Schrade only sold them in 1990.
image.php

This is a 1973-77 881Y they were made from 1952 to 1986.
image.php

Pre. 1973 8OTs and some 881s made about the same time.
image.php

The 880 was made from 1952 –1986 .My 880 shown here has a 1969 etched on the blade.
image.php

This is a collection of Schrade 8OTs and some 4'' knives much the same as the 8OTs
image.php

The Blue Rope-cut Bone knife is an un-finished Schrade ACB80

Last edited:
If you like 8OTs here is some Schrade 4” knives from my collection.
image.php

Some 1965-1969 Buck 301s made by Schrade.
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

This Old Timer looks like an 8OT - The blade is stamped 881 on the back of the blade.
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Last edited:
What a great collection and thank you for sharing your knowledge. I only have a few Schrade knives, but really love to read about their history.

Koldgold thanks for the info & pics

Question
Your #2 post, fifth picture down, lower right hand corner you have a "Bigfoot" sheepsfoot pattern 8OT
What is the story on the different sheepsfoot blades on some 8OTs ?
My one and only 8OT is a "Bigfoot". The sheepsfoot blade is approx 1/4 inch from tip of the clip blade when they are both closed.
It is like having two master blades almost

EDITED
I just noticed this subject was discussed recently
If any other comments or theories , they would be appreciated
Thanks, either way

Last edited:
Hi Ray,
I think your knife could be an 8OT, with the 89OT Blazer sheep foot blade; that missed out having the machining done for the serrated part of blade.

IMG_1180_zps89cafb16.jpg

Some more 4" Schrade.
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Last edited:
Thanks Kold
Well there must be a number of these "Bigfoot" in circulation
I personally like the larger sheepsfoot on this larger stockman pattern

Ray, is your knife an "8OT Old Timer" with a longer sheep-foot blade?
Could you post a photo of the tang stamp on the main blade... Ken.

Ray nothing came out; Is your knife an "8OT Old Timer" and is the main blade stamped, "Schrade U.S.A. 8OT".

While on the 8OT Stockman by Schrade: Should we add the smaller 34OT made by Schrade.
Anyone like to post their smaller stockman knives? Ken.

Last edited:
Ray, that knife looks like it was made about the same time as the 89OT were made.
Schrade made the 89OTs from 1989 to 1999. They also cost a dollar or two more then the 8OTs.
I have a number of 89OTs NIB. One is in a one-pise Brown Box with gold printing.
Can anyone tell me when the Brown Box was changed.

Getting back to your Big Foot knife;
Dale's order sheet from Camillus lists, Main blades stamped 8OT and sheep-foot blades 2 and 3/4 inches long.
The Blazer's sheep-foot blade is 2 and 3/4 inches long. And has the serrated edge.
The sheep-foot blade on the 8OT is only 2 and 1/2 inchers long.

The question now is: If the blades were made by Camillus to be used in Schrade knives.
Did Schrade grind the serrated edge on the blades, back at the Schrade factory?
If that is the case; a worker could have missed putting the serrated edge on an 89OT blade and it found its' way into an 8OT.

file.php

Last edited:
Could be as you suggest, non machined, or there was an abundance of longer sheepsfoot blades and they just decided to put them in the better selling "regular" 8Ot's.
Just guessing.
The larger sheeps foot is nice. I use it alot.

Re: 34OT's- Love em. Have at least 5-6
Harold [Bloefield]

Re: 34OT's- Love em. Have at least 5-6
Harold [Bloefield]

Hi Harold, this is one of my small stockmans.. Let us see yours... Ken
image.php

I payed $6 for this un-finished 34OT SS.
image.php

This is a 34OTSS finished in its' wooden box.
image.php

Last edited:
Very Nice Koldgold. I have not seen those before. Fantastic.
I purchased most of my Schrades for use. I didn't know all those years ago it would turn into a hobby/collection
Here are a few I have pics of. Most of mine are users. I believe there are 3 different 34's. I have 3 more somewhere. I also like the 33OT Jacks.

image.php

These knives were given to some of Schrade’s retailers.
image.php

This is the 33OT "Give-a-Way"
image.php

Schrade had some good looking knives in the pipeline, for their 100th Anniversary.
This is some of them: The 8OT is in the bottom right hand corner.
image.php

Back