THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

Here is a P.A.C.Knife recently completed. I applied clear GunKote to the blasted finish on this one, and am very pleased with the results. Brings out the richness and depth of the blasted finish, and makes it tremendously tougher and more corrosion resistant.

b21ZqxS.jpg

uNmGeLF.jpg

ZRDDeh3.jpg

Sam:thumbsup:

That looks fantastic, Sam! Love the finish and blade shape! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Tom! I've been working busily at some refinements, and have started knurling the handles underneath the cord wrap. I don't do a super clean/fine knurl right now, I have to keep it economical. But I wanted there to be something there to aid grip if the cord wrap was ever removed and the knife needed to be used.

The PACKnife pictured earlier:

DTyRknQ.jpg

And a SAFE System II Kodiak:

zld4klA.jpg

Sam, hate to tell you this, but I like the PACKnife with just a knurled handle even more than the cord wrap. It really shows off the tapered handle too! What a super cool hollow handle knife. One of your best! :thumbsup:

Tom, I agree with you. I have been working for years to get these knives exactly the way I wanted them, and am now very close. That PACKnife is a fantastic little woods tool when you want just the basics and want to keep it light. Thank you for the compliments!

So I get a lot of emails/questions about the differences between the M7 and the SSII (SAFE System II). They are essentially the same knife from the guard back. The only real differences lie in the blades.

The SSII is just a little narrower, and is 6" long and 3/16" thick. The M7 is 1/4" thick, and 7.75" long blade. Here is a side by side shot.

QlBh8ex.jpg

So continuing with the pic above, many of the questions/comments I get are about the M7 and the SSII. Here is a video I recently did outlining a lot of the differences/similarities, along with some updates being done. When you have time to waste...

In post 3059, I did a micro review of a Wall model 18. I talked about getting the blade refinished. Took some time for my guy to get around to it but he shot it with a air cure Duracoat. Just got it back and really like the way it looks. Did not want to cook the finish on due to the compass. Since this is a user knife, it will be interesting to see how the finish holds up.

Also fell into a Neeley survival knife. This is the short one in 154cm. The price was good and is in new condition. Not sure if I'm gonna keep this one long term so no "testing" on this one at the moment.

Be Safe

Tad
DSC01664.JPG DSC01667.JPG

Nice knives, Yasuru.

Here's a PACKnife recently completed. I will be hollow grinding (as opposed to flat grinding) this model from here on in. Using a larger diameter wheel will still give it more than enough durability, while increasing the cutting aggression of the knife, which is more important than extreme toughness on a smaller knife like this.

This also has clear GunKote on the blasted finish, a great combo in my opinion.

GVwpYN3.jpg

T3ateap.jpg

BoYbTdn.jpg

Comments and feedback welcome.:thumbsup:

Looks great, Sam! Curious, have you ever considered a stonewash finish on the PACKnife? I assume you need special equipment that is probably expense.

Thank you, Tom! That's an excellent question. Stone washing and/or tumbling isn't too bad to get into money wise, and I like the look on a user "survival knife." I did this finish on a couple of knives early on, and liked it a lot.

But for HH knives it presented a number of challenges, due to the way the knives are built and such. The primary reason I abandoned the idea was that it is basically impossible to re-stonewash the blade after it has been used (or scratched before making it out of the shop:eek:) because the knife is permanently assembled, and the softer guard steel didn't take as kindly to the tumbling as the blade steel did. Additionally, it was problematic to get the guard face re-stonewashed because of the blade being there at a right angle (the media had a hard time producing the same look).

So I went with a finish that could be completely redone at a future point in time, whether for a collector or a user. Plus, the blasted and two-tone finishes are just so much more popular. As Killian said, "You gotta give the people what they want!"

Sam:):thumbsup:

Looks great, Sam! Curious, have you ever considered a stonewash finish on the PACKnife? I assume you need special equipment that is probably expense.

Reactions: TAH
And since I know you're a fan of knurling (as am I), here's a pic of the knife before blasting and wrapping, in all her hollow ground glory lol.:D

PR4kJby.jpg

Thank you, Tom! That's an excellent question. Stone washing and/or tumbling isn't too bad to get into money wise, and I like the look on a user "survival knife." I did this finish on a couple of knives early on, and liked it a lot.

But for HH knives it presented a number of challenges, due to the way the knives are built and such. The primary reason I abandoned the idea was that it is basically impossible to re-stonewash the blade after it has been used (or scratched before making it out of the shop:eek:) because the knife is permanently assembled, and the softer guard steel didn't take as kindly to the tumbling as the blade steel did. Additionally, it was problematic to get the guard face re-stonewashed because of the blade being there at a right angle (the media had a hard time producing the same look).

So I went with a finish that could be completely redone at a future point in time, whether for a collector or a user. Plus, the blasted and two-tone finishes are just so much more popular. As Killian said, "You gotta give the people what they want!"

Sam:):thumbsup:

Makes sense. Probably best if you take care of the technical stuff and I'll stick to admiring. :)

Here's a promotional pic I made recently for Instagram with an M9 in hand. Kind of a parody/homage of the Death Wish poster with Charles Bronson. It's the kind of fun my demented fans (all 3 of them) get a kick out of, lol. If you haven't seen the original poster art, do a quick search for it and this will make sense. Enjoy, at my expense.:D:D:p

QA3L12C.jpg

That's a great idea and photo, Sam! You look just like Bronson, but cooler. :thumbsup:

Death-Wish-(DVD).jpg

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate you covering for my mental illness.:D:D:)

Reactions: TAH
Back