The "Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery" GIVEAWAY!! WINNER ANNOUNCED!!

Thanks Alan and Barrett!

Excellent! And here I was thinking "Oh, no one's going to mimic me, I don't have a distinct style." I guess it's like hearing one's own accent. o_O

p.s. Is that knife on the rosemary a Tackler?

Thanks Rachel, I guess when most of us start off hanging around on the Porch, the Totin’ thread is one of the first ports of call.

It is pretty cool when you start to recognise different Porchfolk from either a ‘signature’ photo style, or less intentional ‘tells’ in their pics.

You do most definitely have a recognisable style, but you mix it up enough, that sometimes it’s a combination of things that the unconscious mind ticks off that help to place the authorship.

Rosewood and Rosemary together: Bingo! (Yes that is a Tackler, I used it for the Rosewood signature, as I don’t have a Lambsfoot in that cover material!)

Also the Texas light, Texas BBQ, Echo’s beautiful fur patterning, and any of your distinctive refinished ‘Rest home’ knives will usually give it away!

By extension, the soft English light will always help place any outdoor pics from Jack or @donn . I’d read about the ‘Gloaming’ before, but never really understood it, until visiting Ireland and Northern England, as we don’t have anything like it in Australia - that long, soft, hazy purple afternoon half-light before dusk.

Then there’s what I call the Pro level quality photos - there’s quite a lot of these on the Porch, but Chief, Cigarrodog, Fodderwing and Joeradza, off the top of my head, all sit in that category, to my mind at least.

Sometimes it’s a certain prop or background that’s familiar - Gasman1 and flatblackcapo’s workbench areas are distinctive signatures, as are parts of peoples gardens or yards.

I always look for Travman’s photobombing hound in his pics - at first I actually thought it was an intentional signature, like a ‘Where’s Wally’ element!

Sometimes even vast outdoor areas have been co opted into a signature tell, like dc50 and Stonebeard’s spectacular mountain panoramas, and Horsewright’s Californian cattle country.

Of course the knives themselves are the easiest of giveaway ‘tells’ for many posters.

Carl’s SAK Classic or Secretary along with a P38 and Sears 4-way driver is unmistakeable, as are Buzzbait’s Scouts.

Once when I was chopping firewood while out camping, a car drove slowly up to my campground, just on dusk. At first with annoyance, I was mentally willing them to go further away, and not camp next to me, then I belatedly recognised with pleasure, that it was one of my good friends, also randomly camping in that spot! She said she had first zeroed in on the axe I was swinging, trying to see what brand it was, then recognised ‘Hey, I know that axe... and the guy who goes along with it!’

I think some folks have such a signature style, that it’s quite hard to imitate them. As has been pointed out before in this thread, Dylan’s Pàdruig Pàdruig ‘s pics are like that - a combination of props, composition, background, particular knives, photo quality and post processing, that is very difficult to replicate exactly.

Anyway, keep ‘em coming folks, this is a very entertaining thread!

Thanks Alan and Barrett!

Thanks Rachel, I guess when most of us start off hanging around on the Porch, the Totin’ thread is one of the first ports of call.

It is pretty cool when you start to recognise different Porchfolk from either a ‘signature’ photo style, or less intentional ‘tells’ in their pics.

You do most definitely have a recognisable style, but you mix it up enough, that sometimes it’s a combination of things that the unconscious mind ticks off that help to place the authorship.

Rosewood and Rosemary together: Bingo! (Yes that is a Tackler, I used it for the Rosewood signature, as I don’t have a Lambsfoot in that cover material!)

Also the Texas light, Texas BBQ, Echo’s beautiful fur patterning, and any of your distinctive refinished ‘Rest home’ knives will usually give it away!

By extension, the soft English light will always help place any outdoor pics from Jack or @donn . I’d read about the ‘Gloaming’ before, but never really understood it, until visiting Ireland and Northern England, as we don’t have anything like it in Australia - that long, soft, hazy purple afternoon half-light before dusk.

Then there’s what I call the Pro level quality photos - there’s quite a lot of these on the Porch, but Chief, Cigarrodog, Fodderwing and Joeradza, off the top of my head, all sit in that category, to my mind at least.

Sometimes it’s a certain prop or background that’s familiar - Gasman1 and flatblackcapo’s workbench areas are distinctive signatures, as are parts of peoples gardens or yards.

I always look for Travman’s photobombing hound in his pics - at first I actually thought it was an intentional signature, like a ‘Where’s Wally’ element!

Sometimes even vast outdoor areas have been co opted into a signature tell, like dc50 and Stonebeard’s spectacular mountain panoramas, and Horsewright’s Californian cattle country.

Of course the knives themselves are the easiest of giveaway ‘tells’ for many posters.

Carl’s SAK Classic or Secretary along with a P38 and Sears 4-way driver is unmistakeable, as are Buzzbait’s Scouts.

Once when I was chopping firewood while out camping, a car drove slowly up to my campground, just on dusk. At first with annoyance, I was mentally willing them to go further away, and not camp next to me, then I belatedly recognised with pleasure, that it was one of my good friends, also randomly camping in that spot! She said she had first zeroed in on the axe I was swinging, trying to see what brand it was, then recognised ‘Hey, I know that axe... and the guy who goes along with it!’

I think some folks have such a signature style, that it’s quite hard to imitate them. As has been pointed out before in this thread, Dylan’s Pàdruig Pàdruig ‘s pics are like that - a combination of props, composition, background, particular knives, photo quality and post processing, that is very difficult to replicate exactly.

Excellent post, as usual, Chin.

Thanks Alan and Barrett!

Astute observations, Chin! :thumbsup:

C’mon Porch people, let’s see some more pics here!

Yes indeed! :D

I’ve been lurking and looking at this thread Barrett. ;) I decided to take a shot at an entry so here is my best paulhilborn paulhilborn imitation! Thanks for a fun GAW. :)

This is a Miller Brothers Jack. The company was in business in Meriden Ct. C-1872-1926.
@Duckdog Thanks again for this beautiful knife Stuart! :thumbsup:

47146531391_4bcfd21c1e_b_d.jpg

I’ve been lurking and looking at this thread Barrett. ;) I decided to take a shot at an entry so here is my best paulhilborn paulhilborn imitation! Thanks for a fun GAW. :)

This is a Miller Brothers Jack. The company was in business in Meriden Ct. C-1872-1926.

Ha! lookin good Ron:p except that thumb my friend:eek: we call that a Norwegian Carpenter's thumb around these parts:D FANTASTIC Miller Bros:thumbsup:

Ha! lookin good Ron:p except that thumb my friend:eek: we call that a Norwegian Carpenter's thumb around these parts:D FANTASTIC Miller Bros:thumbsup:
Thanks for the Miller Brothers compliment Paul! :) I wish that thumb had been the result of a hammer! It would have hurt a lot less! :( That’s a souvenir of a heavyweight self closing security door. :eek:

Thanks for playing, Ron! And watch out for those self-closing doors in the future! :eek: ;)

I'm finding it tough to sit back and miss out on all the fun with this thread, so here's another contribution featuring the Schrade that's up for grabs. This one was difficult to get quite right using the camera on my phone instead of a high-resolution scanner, but I did my best. (Had to borrow the "beads" from my daughter.) :D

cRauwYj.jpg

Thank you, Barrett, for hosting such a fun giveaway. I don't enter many these days and when I do, it usually has more to do with the nature of the giveaway and what is involved rather than the prize.

That being said, I knew I wanted to participate as soon as you created the thread. There are a good many folks whose photography I admire and I credit them for helping me improve my own. Though I have a long way to go yet, I thank them for setting great examples for me to look up to, offering advice now and then, and contributing to the rich environment that the Traditionals forum is known for.

I will be using this opportunity to pay tribute to some of these folks who have influenced me in the short time I have been here.

The first name that immediately came to mind is Alan ( joeradza joeradza ). He has offered me advice on several occasions and even gifted me the knife that will be the subject of the picture below. Alan has a unique style that is all his own and I have done my best to try and at least capture some of that essence. Thank you, Alan, for all that you do and for being such a great member here.

(Smallest shell I could find.... Had to raid my daughter's stash :D)

OowZm4Q.jpg

A feeble attempt at a Jack Black Jack Black
If that had been a lambs foot I would have sworn it was a Jack Black.

Hey Dwight, I was just skimming this thread again and as I passed your post my first thought was "when did I get that knife?" Well played my friend.
The highest of compliments. Thanks Alan, I am flattered. :)

Great posts everyone! What a cool thread. :cool:

Back