The Just Hanging Out Thread.

I run Windows 7 on a couple computers. Both have a button to update to Windows 10. MS is charging for the "upgrade" ($139 I believe). Does anyone know if I can just change over to Windows 10 in January with the upgrade button that was "included" when I bought these two computers?

Why would anybody want to go to windows 10 is beyond me. I’ve always felt the XP and Windows 7 were the best operating systems Microsoft ever offered.

Why would anybody want to go to windows 10 is beyond me. I’ve always felt the XP and Windows 7 were the best operating systems Microsoft ever offered.
I don't disagree with you. But MS's support for Window's 7 is ending in early January 2020.

I thought the same. I do not like windows 10 at all. I even liked 8.2 (whatever the upgrade 8 was) better, but I still feel windows 7 is the best. The ease of use is a lot better on a computer, as my understanding of why they wanted Windows 8 and 10 for touch screens and to run the OS on many devices. I like lists instead of the icons and things everywhere which feels really cluttered. I didn't like the move to ribbons either in windows office programs. I prefer open office largely because of that.

Is Jace the cat in your avatar? Hope you get well quickly.

No but, you would swear it was if you didn’t know what to look for.

It was easier to snag an online picture than to upload a picture of Jace. I should change it.

Anyone have any cool plans for the weekend?

We have a new guy at work who is a professional arm wrestler. He offered to shop me the ropes, that's at 2:00 pm at his place. All I ask is he doesn't break my arm! :eek:

Then going to "The Point" with another co-worker to whittle/carve on some wood and have a fire after dark. Between then, laundry, groceries, knife modding, and working on a chef and a chopper. :D

And windows 10 is the Pol Pot of OSes. :mad:

Enjoying some college ball (go buckeyes!), then meeting the in laws for some drinks afterwards. The 4 yr old is going to be at a sleepover, so the world is ours! :D
Lucky you. It seems like every time I get free time with my spouse something comes up. My sisters call, in-laws drop by, neighbors knock on the door. Something gets in the way. It’s almost like it’s a conspiracy.

Enjoying some college ball (go buckeyes!), then meeting the in laws for some drinks afterwards. The 4 yr old is going to be at a sleepover, so the world is ours! :D
Congrats on the big win. Setting up nicely for your team to meetup with my Clemson Tigers!

Cat and I still are not feeling well.

On the positive side, I received a white scaled SAK Spartan yesterday. The plan is to put it in my bug out bag. Since my bag is black I figured a knife with white scales would be easy to find.

I just used the bottle opener to open up a Mexican Coke. My stomach and sinuses are going to love that.

Lucky you. It seems like every time I get free time with my spouse something comes up. My sisters call, in-laws drop by, neighbors knock on the door. Something gets in the way. It’s almost like it’s a conspiracy.

That seems to happen more often than not around here as well, but sometimes.... lady luck shines on me ;)

Congrats on the big win. Setting up nicely for your team to meetup with my Clemson Tigers!

Thanks. Was glad to see Penn St work there way back in the 2nd half... OSU needed that smack in the mouth before "that team up north" and the Big 10 Championship (and potentially the playoffs if we keep winning). Luckily, 2nd and 3rd string have had a ton of experience this year, so even if we have an injury, we will be in good shape.

Every playoff matchup should be exciting this year no matter how it works out: Clemson rematch would be much more exciting this year, LSU match up pits JB against his old team, Georgia matchup pits JF against his old team... Really looking forward to it this year!

I run Windows 7 on a couple computers. Both have a button to update to Windows 10. MS is charging for the "upgrade" ($139 I believe). Does anyone know if I can just change over to Windows 10 in January with the upgrade button that was "included" when I bought these two computers?
I had found some free upgrades but most all have expired at this point. I can’t speak too much to the button you may have it would depend on how it was setup from factory worst case it will prompt to pay or allow you to roll back if it doesn’t work w/o charge.

I don't disagree with you. But MS's support for Window's 7 is ending in early January 2020.
Keep in mind support may be ending but the OS will continue to function normally you will just no longer receive updates and newer applications or updates to applications you have may not be compatible with Win 7. I had worked with someone who had to have a Win XP virtual machine for a single business application as it wasn’t Win 10 compatible and their old Win XP box kicked the bucket so Win 10 was their only option on the new PC.

Personally I loved Win7 and hated Vista and 8(all versions) but Win10 fixed all that it still isn’t as good as Win 7 but it does the job and I don’t really have any major complaints.

P PirateSeulb I am mostly concerned about security vulnerabilities that hackers find and MS tries to fix with their updates. Believe it or not, I still have a Windows 98 machine that keeps on running. It is mostly used as sort of a server now (storage) which I back up as I add work related documents. I just don't access the internet with and it is not capable of accessing wifi on it's own. So, yes, I could just leave things as they are with the two computers with Win 7 on. That is a decision I will have to make down the road. I have one laptop that has windows 10 on it..... but somehow it won't accept the machine password and I can't use it. It has been essentially parked for a couple of years and has nothing stored in it. I may just buy another beefy laptop with Windows 10 on it.....

P PirateSeulb I am mostly concerned about security vulnerabilities that hackers find and MS tries to fix with their updates. Believe it or not, I still have a Windows 98 machine that keeps on running. It is mostly used as sort of a server now (storage) which I back up as I add work related documents. I just don't access the internet with and it is not capable of accessing wifi on it's own. So, yes, I could just leave things as they are with the two computers with Win 7 on. That is a decision I will have to make down the road. I have one laptop that has windows 10 on it..... but somehow it won't accept the machine password and I can't use it. It has been essentially parked for a couple of years and has nothing stored in it. I may just buy another beefy laptop with Windows 10 on it.....

I have a dead machine that I might try to resurrect with Linux Mint.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire Is the Win10 laptop that you can't login to setup with a MS Account or a Local sign in? If there is nothing on it you might can download from another PC the tools to make a Win10 boot media and try a reinstall/restore since there is nothing to lose.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire Is the Win10 laptop that you can't login to setup with a MS Account or a Local sign in? If there is nothing on it you might can download from another PC the tools to make a Win10 boot media and try a reinstall/restore since there is nothing to lose.
Suspect it might be an older machine, which makes Mint a really great and fun choice for OS. I used to have a think for these tiny IBM Thinkpads before the Lenovo purchase and I would rip out the spin drive, pop in a flash hard drive and Linux Ubuntu. Really fun projects creating light weight machines that were short of RAM and HD space. That's the problem with Win 10 and all of these thin and light 32 and 64GB hard drives which didn't have enough room to store Win 10.

Chromebooks are great alternatives to Windows machines if you can live with getting everthing off of what you need via wifi connection. Super fast 8 second startups too!

It's the machine password when you first turn it on.... so I don't understand if that is "local" or a MS account. I really dislike MS forcing you to have some long password to log into your own computer. It is none of their business. The experts say "don't write you passwords down", but I have a lot of different accounts with different passwords and it would be impossible to remember them (for me).

It's the machine password when you first turn it on.... so I don't understand if that is "local" or a MS account. I really dislike MS forcing you to have some long password to log into your own computer. It is none of their business. The experts say "don't write you passwords down", but I have a lot of different accounts with different passwords and it would be impossible to remember them (for me).
Use a password manager like LastPass, etc. Have one long password and let LastPass handle the rest. Short passwords are trivial to crack with modern hardware, even if they are properly encrypted.

Back