The King

MolokaiRider

Gold Member
I’ve been around the proverbial block in regards to value choppers. The BK9 is new to me, but I’m getting it now. Not too heavy, not too light, not too thick, not too thin. That balance of performance and utility. Ergonomics, control, toughness, and good looks.

This knife has earned the name “The King”. I’d love to hear your thoughts and stories on why this knife has earned its stripes.

For me, the first time I saw the 9 I thought, "No way, that thing is too monstrous to be of any use beyond chopping. Who needs a one trick pony in the woods." Then I got one because the lunkheads on this forum speak highly of it and I easily cave to peer pressure and subliminal suggestion.

When I got my first one I was shocked at how "snappy" it seemed in the hand despite its size. It wielded like a sword and somehow like a smaller knife at the same time. It could chop, but still handle small tasks. I took it to the woods and yep...it chopped like a beast. Then I started carving wood with it and was shocked that it handled so well. Heck, it did big knife tasks with aplomb but handled small knife tasks so well I was in awe. I have used it to chop, prep food, whittle, dress game, hammer, pry, baton etc etc....and it takes on every task so well. It is definitely my go to blade in the woods.

Why "The King?" It the old old times, leaders were not chosen like they are today. The leader was the strongest and bravest offering the village the greatest chance of survival under his rule. If that is in any way still true, "The King" offers me the greatest chance of survival in conditions that are less than ideal. The King can protect me, feed me, shelter me and generally make life more comfortable. All hail THE KING!

You pretty much nailed it . It's not to heavy it feels good looks good and works Great ! The way it chops is amazing for a knife this size and it's still light enough so can you can get by doing smaller jobs too too :thumbsup: Hail The King !
IMG_2498.JPG

The 9 is a perfectly-balanced knife. It actually feels more like a large knife rather than a dedicated chopper, although it can chop quite well. Congrats on your new nine. If I could only have one fixed blade, it would be the Becker Combat Bowie. @Makael made me a beautiful, complimenting sheath for it too!

jyf9MBn.jpg

The 9 is a perfectly-balanced knife. It actually feels more like a large knife rather than a dedicated chopper, although it can chop quite well. Congrats on your new nine. If I could only have one fixed blade, it would be the Becker Combat Bowie. @Makael made me a beautiful, complimenting sheath for it too!

jyf9MBn.jpg
Oh Yeah! :) You are the Edge Master :thumbsup:

For me, the first time I saw the 9 I thought, "No way, that thing is too monstrous to be of any use beyond chopping. Who needs a one trick pony in the woods." Then I got one because the lunkheads on this forum speak highly of it and I easily cave to peer pressure and subliminal suggestion.

When I got my first one I was shocked at how "snappy" it seemed in the hand despite its size. It wielded like a sword and somehow like a smaller knife at the same time. It could chop, but still handle small tasks. I took it to the woods and yep...it chopped like a beast. Then I started carving wood with it and was shocked that it handled so well. Heck, it did big knife tasks with aplomb but handled small knife tasks so well I was in awe. I have used it to chop, prep food, whittle, dress game, hammer, pry, baton etc etc....and it takes on every task so well. It is definitely my go to blade in the woods.

Why "The King?" It the old old times, leaders were not chosen like they are today. The leader was the strongest and bravest offering the village the greatest chance of survival under his rule. If that is in any way still true, "The King" offers me the greatest chance of survival in conditions that are less than ideal. The King can protect me, feed me, shelter me and generally make life more comfortable. All hail THE KING!

100 percent agree! The well rounded tool that flexes into many roles.

jyf9MBn.jpg

Outstanding looking and beautiful edge! Well done sir!

I had a few BK15s and 5s but I bought another 15 and a 9 that 91bravo had for sale not knowing if I'd like the 9 or not ... I used an Esee Jungula and a Kabar bolo for any chopping I did ...

but after handling it and getting a chance to use the 9 ... it sees more use than my other big knives and surprised me how well I liked it ... hopefully it will get alot more use with fall here now.

Knives and choppers are two different things to me. Most knives don’t chop well and most choppers make poor knives. Things that are compromises are usually not particularly good at anything.

The 9 manages to strike a great balance however. It both chops well and knifes well. Something that many knives try to do but few seem to succeed at. The BK21, BK20 and Junglas all seem to lose their knifeness in favor of being better choppers.

The BK9 is so good at still being a knife that when toting it around in the woods I often feel well equipped when all I have to accompany it is a folding pocket knife. I also find that once a knife starts to weigh over one pound that I just don’t really want to carry it around with me much. For its packability/carryability it has a ton of utility.

Back