The King

The cool thing about the 9 for me is that it seems big and like a dedicated chopper, until you realize that the length and weight are very balanced. It is very good at chopping and punches well above its weight, but not the best chopper imo. The good thing about that is it does knife stuff very well too.
Great chopper territory for me these days is at least 12 inches.

Last edited:
Knives and choppers are two different things to me. Most knives don’t chop well and most choppers make poor knives. Things that are compromises are usually not particularly good at anything.

The 9 manages to strike a great balance however. It both chops well and knifes well. Something that many knives try to do but few seem to succeed at. The BK21, BK20 and Junglas all seem to lose their knifeness in favor of being better choppers.

The BK9 is so good at still being a knife that when toting it around in the woods I often feel well equipped when all I have to accompany it is a folding pocket knife. I also find that once a knife starts to weigh over one pound that I just don’t really want to carry it around with me much. For its packability/carryability it has a ton of utility.

The cool thing about the 9 for me is that it seems big and like a dedicated chopper, until you realize that the length and weight are very balanced. It is very good at chopping and punches well above its weight, but not the best chopper imo. The good thing about that is it does knife stuff very well too.
Great chopper territory for me these days is at least 12 inches.

Well said. I echo these sentiments as well.

Having the edge all the way to the handle and the weight distribution lend to good agility to using the blade for many other tasks more so than a a dedicated chopper.

8 years ago when I started to get into the woods a bit, I was doing reaserch on the gear needed for 20 mile hikes. As a kid, I've always been facinated by knives, but it wasn't until coming across the BK9 did I up the interest a bit... a LOT actually. The 9 is just simply a knife I don't leave behind when leaving the concrete jungle and getting into the woods.
Over the years I have used this knife mainly to cut down trees for firewood. Wow has it impressed me! I can't seem to break it no matter how hard I try.
It takes a keen edge quickly, can do the hardest of tasks, and asks for more!
wcAqfts.jpg

iSPcrGO.jpg

8 years ago when I started to get into the woods a bit, I was doing reaserch on the gear needed for 20 mile hikes. As a kid, I've always been facinated by knives, but it wasn't until coming across the BK9 did I up the interest a bit... a LOT actually. The 9 is just simply a knife I don't leave behind when leaving the concrete jungle and getting into the woods.
Over the years I have used this knife mainly to cut down trees for firewood. Wow has it impressed me! I can't seem to break it no matter how hard I try.
It takes a keen edge quickly, can do the hardest of tasks, and asks for more!
wcAqfts.jpg

iSPcrGO.jpg

Nice rig! Your 9 looks well loved!

I know that I am a bit prejudiced but, the Nine really does do a lot of things quite well..... Very short machete, decent chopper, controllable enough to do a bunch of small tasks, reasonable weight.....In my view it is hard not to like.... Of course, you should consider the source.....

E

I know that I am a bit prejudiced but, the Nine really does do a lot of things quite well..... Very short machete, decent chopper, controllable enough to do a bunch of small tasks, reasonable weight.....In my view it is hard not to like.... Of course, you should consider the source.....

E

Well Mr Becker, I believe you have good taste and thoughtful design. It’s no small feat to make a group of tools so well that it earns a dedicated following around the globe.

Tip of the hat to you sir!

Thank you Molokai for the kind words.... I have been truly blessed and damned lucky too..... I am gratified, thankful and some considerable amazed at how well things have worked out!!!!

Ethan

I took my 9 out and walked up to the woodpile. As I stood there looking at it... I concluded the “new knife smell” was still there and too early to mess it up.

*shambles back to shed and grabs older beater...*

I guess I’m still at the “fondling” stage dangit.

Soon....

Molokai, mine was pristine for a long time. From experience I now know, it gains character when you use it. You’ll also want to get a second one. ;)

I took my 9 out and walked up to the woodpile. As I stood there looking at it... I concluded the “new knife smell” was still there and too early to mess it up.

*shambles back to shed and grabs older beater...*

I guess I’m still at the “fondling” stage dangit.

Soon....
Oh helllll no. Beat it like it stole something. The new knife smell needs to go.

Back