THE knife, often sought, never found...

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My family, both home and at work, we all have two families even if we don't know it. But both families have given up when ever I get a new knife and of course the excitement that it could be THE one to end my long search. They roll their eyes and shake their heads, they've heard it all before, probably just last week.
So today when I was showing off my latest in a long line of knives I've owned to a friend at work, I said I really like this one, I think it is going to stick around a long time!
He said, 'ok, lets get that laser engraved on the blade'
well, I wasn't THAT sure it will be THE one so I knew he got me, I am not that convinced it is the one but, it's pretty nice.

So how many of you guys and gals run into this with family and friends?

Oh and here's a couple shots of my latest, the WE Practic, nice small folder with excellent detent/flipping action and fairly thin edged too.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

I've never been in search of a single knife to replace all others. But I do own a Practic and if I were going to limit myself to a single knife, the Practic would be a contender. It's a great cutter and holds a edge well. It's a superb flipper and locks up well. It carries unobtrusively and easily slides in and out of the pocket.
The name is very appropriate! It's practical.

I've gotten lately to where I am trying to cut back and get down to very few knives, so the search and I agree with your take on the Practic, I saw this a while ago but never pulled the trigger until now, glad I did.
G2

My old lady used to do that every time I get a new or new-to-me knife. Always asked if that was "the one". These days she's come around to the idea that I have different knives for different purposes. Work family is always intrigued at what I'm carrying clipped to my back pocket if I pull out something different. They have all seen and fondled the Buck 110 on my duty belt and some even carry scars from their inattention when handling it. Some days it'll be a cheap beater and others it's my Benchmade Griptilian. Any time they notice a different one everybody has to fondle it.

Nice 1 Gary,
Yes I get it, the wife tells me "why, they all look the same?" I've given up trying to explain the differences:rolleyes: I don't want to find the perfect 1, I don't buy often but still like looking.
My daughter(13) is interested, she likes to open the deliveries and have a good look, likes to workout whether locking or not and what type of lock. I should add only with me there.
mitch

Yeah i stopped saying 'it's the one' awhile ago with knives and guns. My wife proves me wrong all time and i don't want to give her the satisfaction ;)

Although with tools for around the house/garage i have been pretty successful with in that aspect. And there is a couple knives that are keepers and i think will ride along with me to the end.

I have the opposite problem. Although I have lots of knives for specific types of tasks, my EDC of choice for a long, long time has been the Rukus 610.

I have lots of EDCs that I really like and would like to use often, but the Rukus is just so perfect for my needs that it's the only EDC I ever carry.

The Rukus was one I also had owned, what a beefy blade that drops down to a thin edge, killer, no pun intended ;)
G2

WE Practic
It's green so I like it right off !
Nah the people at work have NO CONCEPT of knives. They are just as happy to use scissors opened out or a pocket knife with a dull edge. In other words they don't use knives.

The new owner of the company is a bright spot in the fog but I won't go there yet. Lets just say when I offered to sharpen his Crandall Stockman (green bone scales :thumbsup:) for his birthday . . . before I had the words out of my mouth and my hand all the way extended he had the knife out of his pocket and into my hand. To his credit it was pretty well sharpened but some rolled edges. I made it hair whittling and gave it back yesterday.

Well that's different. When ever I offer to sharpen their knife everybody else at work says : "I don't like sharp things" or "I suppose . . . if you need a """project""" and then fails to ever give me their knife.

No they aren't going to give a flying fig what I say about a new knife.

THE knife is an impossible dream anyway :
M4
Cold Steel Ti Lite IV handle and blade shape full flat ground.
Axis Lock
Maybe some Kray Ex grippy scales

Yeah like THAT is going to ever end up in one pile.

As far as my family at home; being The Chef . . .
I think if I show her one more knife she is going to bite me on the thigh really hard :(.

Last edited:
Sounds like a the new owner is a good sort! and yah, those bites tend to leave marks to remember them by, so, take care ;)
G2

My workplace has a rule against knives. Although it is a custom honored more in the breach than the observance, we don’t take them out much or even discuss them.

At home, Conchita has a taste for knives herself, especially slipjoints. She knows there is no ultimate knife for her, and certainly does not expect it of me.

Of course there are "ones" that are needed for certain tasks that others would not come near doing as well, but the one is the one you'd reach for every day when you head out the door for anything that might come your way.
G2

Back