THE knife, often sought, never found...

My plain Jane Sebenza has settled in as “the one” for the moment, which is funny because I’ve had it for two years. I’ve been trying to buy less and use more and the Sebenza is the perfect combination of hard use/gentleman’s carry. I don’t mind getting it a little dirty and using it knowing I have the CRK warranty.

I still tote an Emerson at work, but have settled into a nice place collection wise.

They’re all “the one” until the next one.

That said, I’m set many times over. I’m actually done looking for knives. At this point I’m just browsing new stuff that comes out and enjoying what I have.

I know without a doubt I could go the rest of my life a few times over and not get all the use out of what I have. I like knives with character and have a few - I’m trying to create a few more.

At this point, I really can't see selling my Practic. It is an extremely well made knife that checks a LOT of boxes for me. Like a modern traditional flipper...is that a thing?

Well, Gary, I share your enthusiasm for the one and only, but as you know, such an animal is nowhere on this planet. Having tried darned near everything, I have a few that are keepers, but recently I've been carrying the massdrop Keen Laconico and really loving it.
Your knife is thinner stock and hollow-ground besides, so it likely will slice better than my Laconico, but I'm happy anyways. I've been trying for a Laconico since before he went to his first BLADE and I finally have one...even though it's a semi-Laconico. Mine is very high quality and costs about the same as yours. Gosh, we are really getting mileage out of China these days...never thought it would happen to me.
cheers,
don

There have been several "the One" over the years. I may move on to a new one, not because it's no longer meeting my needs, but because I'm probably bored with it. We tend to seek out the rush of the hunt and kill, so the search, purchase and delivery takes over. I hope to never find the one.

That being said, I have several that could fill the place of primary EDC. Liong Mah Lanny (by Reate?) in marble carbon fiber is at the top. Spyderco PM2 with custom Ti and CF is close. ZT 0562CF, Case/Bose Lanny's Clip.

While I will still carry my others from time to time, “THE one” for me is the Spyderco Smock. The only thing that’ll kicking it out any time soon will be if Spyderco puts out a Cruwear sprint!

Fresh outta college (35 years ago) the "one" was the new Spyderco Military... it was very pricey but it pushed the Endura out... Which had pushed out the Gerber LST... etc...

many years later I got an email about a knife called the CannaBis... Everything I ever wanted in a knife (so I thought) but was selling for $1400.00!!!! (never spent more than $500.00 for a knife before)

However... It merely opened me up to a full-blown Shirogorov addiction...

however, I'm not complaining...

Gary, we sound alot alike! I'm 49, I owned exactly 2 knives from about 1987 until about 2007. One was a bucklite 422 and the other was a small buck 309 that I kept in my tackle box. I carried the Bucklite 422 everywhere before I knew what an EDC ever was for over 20 years until it was lost or stolen. I was in high school and a Buck knife was a thing of lore. I couldn't believe that I actually went to Wal Mart and could now own one. All I knew, it was a Buck, it didn't rust, weighed less than most everyone else pocket knives and the big 110's , I didn't have to have long finger nails to open it, and it locked so If I ever needed extra protection while hunting, that was a plus. Never heard of blade play, don't know if it had it or not so it didn't matter and it was easy to sharpen. Sometime around 2004 or so, it was lost or stolen. I went until 2012 without even carrying any kind of pocket knife and then I found a 1988 Bucklite in a flea market for $10. Found these forums researching this knife(wondered why it was different than my original). and it has been all downhill from there.
I don't consider myself a collector, but I have a huge collection of knives. I'm always looking for the perfect knife. Then, I tell myself the reasons I should leave it in the box and if I'm not sure that it is "the one" then I don't want to mess it up and hurt any potential value. I also, will buy multiples, in case it is "the one" i'll have backups should they be discontinued. So now I have a huge collection of knives. If you find "the one", let me know so I can try one out!

thats a tough one... i always think ive found the one.. then a couple weeks later i start lusting after something else? hmm... that may go deeper than knives? hahaha!

As far as my belt knife I do beleive I have found 'the one'. An esee 4 with custom micarta scales and it does everything I need it to do through out any given day. I supplement it with a blade reserved for cleaning fish that I keep hair popping sharp when fishing but I always have my esee. And with the warranty it should last me my whole life if they stay in business. I'm sure we've all said this before but I cant think of anything that I could buy to make my esee reside on my shelf.

Now as far as pocket folders, the search is still quite alive trying to find 'the one'. I go back and forth between which one I want next multiple times while waiting for the right time to get a new one. My next one will eitber be a lambsfoot, a lionsteel dom, or a case medium stockman in cv.

I have always tried to have 3 folder categories covered.
Work, not at work and dress knife.
The closest “one” I’ve found so far that would cover all three categories is the Gayle Bradley 2.
Tough enough for work, good looking enough for dress and nearly perfect as a “not at work” knife.

The 940-1 is a good choice also, but for me the GB2 beats it out, by a little, as an all a rounder.
mvRtXZm.jpg

Last edited:
For the past year, a CR small Inkosi has been my EDC. It is supplemented by a Case mediuml stockman. Between the two of them I cover every task. The Inkosi is my go to knife. During this period, I have probably bought eight GECs. They make it into my collection but not into my pocket for more than a day or two. I like looking at them but they just don't seem to feel right as a EDC. I have about five other CRs and they have the same problem. I love having them but they don't hit me emotionally or practically as a EDC.

Nice guys, appreciate the thoughts and wisdom of many years collecting/buying/using knives. And that GB2 I had both the GB1 and 2 and liked the 2 better because of the guard area was more pronounced but I also let that one ride, it was a great cutter and handled nice too.

The PPT is keeping it's spot and I'm teetering on putting the Practic up for sale but, that is also a really exceptional knife, I just don't want to have a lot of knives, which probably sounds weird but less is more for me lately.

A silhouette of my PPT

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Edited to add, teetering done, the Practic is up on the block, we will see how long this PPT holds it's place ;)
G2

Last edited:
My plain Jane Sebenza has settled in as “the one” for the moment, which is funny because I’ve had it for two years. I’ve been trying to buy less and use more and the Sebenza is the perfect combination of hard use/gentleman’s carry. I don’t mind getting it a little dirty and using it knowing I have the CRK warranty.

I still tote an Emerson at work, but have settled into a nice place collection wise.

Agreed.

I've had my small 21 for 5 years now. I have bought spydercos, benchmades, cold steel etc etc, but the 21 have beat them all regarding pocket time.

Lately I got hold of one off TTTis Ti backspacers, this really sealed the deal for me. The 21 is, for me at least, the best(production) pocketknife money can buy.

:cool::thumbsup:

Gary, Why would I get the Practice when I have a PM2 in several different steels?
I m starting to realize that I have so many good edc knives now, that only an exceptional knife will be of any interest to me now.
Simply nice knives aren t good enough to be of interest.
I must be getting old.

I can't say that I have ever looked for "the one" knife. The Case Lizard Skin pattern from the late 90's has been my "look for" knife ever since it came out. At that time money was the issue and now I might be able to afford it. Seems kinda stupid but, there it is. I have a hard time finding any info on them and haven't seen one in the wild, so to speak.

I searched for years for a folder until I found the Sage I in carbon fiber. Perfect knife as far as I'm concerned.
For dressy times, I carry a Sage II in Ti.
Now a fixed blade was a different story until I found this Kephart made by @Mike McCarter. I love the Kephart design and Mike nailed it with his rendition.

Back