THE knife, often sought, never found...

In 2005 I was looking for "THE ONE". That search may well have continued until about 2010. Since about that time, I have no particular interest in searching for some undefinable one knife that satisfies my use, interest, urges, or completes the hobby interest. I generally do not dwell on a particular knife in terms of deciding to buy it. If I like it, I'll get it. But I don't even think that that particular knife is my one and only.

We have threads here about the 10 knives, 5 knives, 3 knives, and the 1 knife, but honestly the only knife(s) that has really swayed my carry interests enough to change have been Vic SAKs. And my interest changes over time within a short size range. Some of the GEC slippies come very close, but I just find the handiness of Vic SAKs to be overwhelmingly significant to my edc carry preferences. That doesn't mean I can't or won't carry another knife or a second knife. But honestly, for my needs I am pretty comfortable with $20 > $50 Vic SAKs day to day.

The largest variety of knives that I have an interest in are fixed blades overall, but I have little regular use or need for them. So, now I try to temper my urges in that area as I have more than I will ever use in this lifetime.

Last edited:
I thought it was funny i remembered the picture of your knife from the for sale section, only reading today about you "Hanging on to this one" :D
It is a nice design, i like the blade and handle but just a bit too plain. I have the WE Minitor on my list which looks similar but a bit more going on.

....The PPT is keeping it's spot and I'm teetering on putting the Practic up for sale but, that is also a really exceptional knife, I just don't want to have a lot of knives, which probably sounds weird but less is more for me lately.

Edited to add, teetering done, the Practic is up on the block, we will see how long this PPT holds it's place ;)
You just got the Practic. I just find this kind of humorous. Why bother? Yeah, it's fun and it allows you to look at new stuff. But enough is enough (within reason).;) This is why I have moved to the "boring" Vic SAKs and satisfied with them overall. It's like a dog chasing it's tail.

It took me years to finally accept that I LIKE Vic SAKs a lot.

Yes sir -winking emoticon, when I put my life verse on the blade (Romans 4:3), that's the one. At the moment knives owned seem to be close enough in materials, lock, steel, weight, and size, that I put them in front of me and plan mods, buy and fit parts, and jot down machining, materials, and coatings notes before pulling the trigger. I do wish I could custom heat treat, but my budget and brain will never allow that extravagance. I have a carbon fiber 940–1501 at 2.30 ounces that for me could be Grail with the ministrations of expert hands after some more mocking up by myself. Problem is this is my ideal shirt pocket EDC, so I'm also looking at a Honker for a second heavy duty folder, to make a pair that will rule them all... Family understands the afflictions of a gearhead.

I thought it was funny i remembered the picture of your knife from the for sale section, only reading today about you "Hanging on to this one" :D
It is a nice design, i like the blade and handle but just a bit too plain. I have the WE Minitor on my list which looks similar but a bit more going on.

Yeah, it's all fun and games until...well, it goes something like that ;) but I find reasons which often are not reasonable to part with a folder after having it, sometimes that very same day, there are people that watch my posts closely because of that!

And the Minitor was quite almost THE one, in fact it held out for a very long time but that also ended up going down the road

IMG_7105 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7102 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

It's not just knives. Firearms work the same way. So do women for that matter...

I don't think I'll get another woman. The trade in cost is too high (done it twice before). Besides, like knives, I would have to get used to having her at my side, her ergonomics, and how she needs to be maintained. There might even be a break-in period. I have already been broken in three times, that's enough.

Last edited:
Words to live by
:)
G2

You just got the Practic. I just find this kind of humorous. Why bother? Yeah, it's fun and it allows you to look at new stuff. But enough is enough (within reason).;) This is why I have moved to the "boring" Vic SAKs and satisfied with them overall. It's like a dog chasing it's tail.

It took me years to finally accept that I LIKE Vic SAKs a lot.

Probably because I am a slow learner, I really hate when I buy the same knife repeatedly, I get it and lose interest or find a detail I don't fancy and off she goes, only to see it again a year later and 'forget' exactly what made me sell the one I previously owned. I think the Spyderco Southard holds the record as I believe I bought that one 4 times, or possibly 5, I try to block that memory so it does get a bit fuzzy. SO while I did JUST get the Practic, it happens, it just does.

BTW the Spyderco PPT is still hanging in there, which is good...so far :)
G2

Gary, Oh-Oh, stage 2. (see dementia). :eek: And now I notice you may be in stage 2. You may even be in stage 2. :confused: ;)

Last edited:
Gary, Oh-Oh, stage 2. (see dementia). :eek: And now I notice you may be in stage 2. :confused: ;)

No, No-to be fair to Old (sorry, mature) G2, the Spyderco Southard has its charm - brown or black both a bit different.
Still, very nice in hand - stylish in profile - kind of a dud as a flipper, but there is that charm effect. ;) Always worth another look or 2 - geez - but he did say 5 :confused:

:) Ray

I've had many knives....

I am glad I went through the progression I've had over the past decade with blades...

With the experience I've gained I've learned what I like and don't like and am able to truly appreciate a knife that makes me happy.

As far as "the one".... for me I have "the TWO!"
It really doesn't get any better for me than the Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21 Insigno. AND the Hinderer Xm-18 3.5" Spanto/Flipper w/choil.

Those 2 are the 2 knives i'd keep if I had to sell off my collection of blades.... I wouldn't part with em...

Between the 2, it comes down to what mood im in/ how im dressing/ what im doing that day....

Knives that I have a history with are becoming more important to me. For example, once I parted with a Benchmade 551 because I had two. One had better blade steel. That is the one I kept. I later regretted parting with the other knife because of the memories I had tied to it.

If this keeps up, I wonder how many knives I will rebuy over the next few years.

I'm not in search of the one knife to end them all. Different knives have different uses. I carry a Strider AR every day because I'm usually in jeans, but I need a smaller knife to carry when I have to be dressed up. I just like knives and never look at a knife and say "this is the one". The buying, using, and selling is part of the fun for me.

I'm not in search of the one knife to end them all. Different knives have different uses. I carry a Strider AR every day because I'm usually in jeans, but I need a smaller knife to carry when I have to be dressed up. I just like knives and never look at a knife and say "this is the one". The buying, using, and selling is part of the fun for me.
Agreed. I have found that just a few purpose-driven knives work very well for me. Sure, I could get by with only one but, not very well. Give me a budget folder for travel, another light-duty folder as my dress knife and something for my EDC that is glove friendly. Right now those three are a Vic Cadet, a US made Kershaw Zing and a Benchmade 551. That's three folders. That's about all I can really justify. Add in a utility knife, multi-tool, and a fixed blade and you are pretty much covered.

A longtime friend carries only a full-size Griptilian. Blue jeans or a suit, same knife. Fun to watch him pull it off but, many times his choice of a folder is out of place for a social event.

Wow my old Ken Largin butterfly!
Aka Kelgin, I was cut pretty bad with that one, not from manipulation but while trying to cut hard plastic as I was precariously perched on a machine, curved blade slid off and across my left index finger to the bone, had to get the tendon sewn back together and it was a very long time before I could bend it to my palm
One of the reasons I don’t care for curved blades
;)
G2

Yeah, it's all fun and games until...well, it goes something like that ;) but I find reasons which often are not reasonable to part with a folder after having it, sometimes that very same day, there are people that watch my posts closely because of that!

And the Minitor was quite almost THE one, in fact it held out for a very long time but that also ended up going down the road

IMG_7105 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7102 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2
Gary, I almost think that you buy knives just to photograph them , which you do very well BTW.
I believe that the search for the “one” has to be defined by category, style or brand. Then one has to determine how many categories or brands to include. My pick for a SAK as an example would be the Spartan. I am enjoying the Cryo D2 for an AO, and I probably will get a ZT 0566. Although I expect to de-assist that one. I don’t know if there has been a thread started for best category like large fixed, small fixed, flipper, although that’s probably too broad a category.

Back