THE KNIFE YOU HATE

Anything at Merlo's. Frost, United...

I'd frequent the only real cutlery shop in town more if the owner didn't give me the creeps...spooky dude. Very big. Very quiet. Stands at a distance and stares.
eek.gif

------------------
"When loss and gain are alike to one, that is real gain.."

Before you all go and down the clip hanger to much, you might want to try using it. It is not a great knife, but it's liner is not like aluminum foil. I hike and backpack some and it serves me well. For the price, it is not bad. I don't like the thumb stud - it is an awkward triagular shape and is located to close to the pivot pin. The little hanger thing is worthless to me. Its advantages are that it is very light, small and compact. The clip is ok.

I guess we all have our opinions.

I have a lot of other better knives but the Cliphanger has its place.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Strider:
Schrade Cliphanger. Worse POS from a reputable Co I have ever seen or handled.I think the liner lock bar is made from strengthened aluminium foil.
Bob
</font>

* Anything by S&W (China knife manufacturing mentality right here in the US. In other words blatant display of knocking off legit custom designs)

* That American Slider thing - the grinds on the one I saw were very uneven and the blade was very dull on the unused sample. My grandmother can grind better than that
biggrin.gif

* Yup, anything with Harley Davidson on it. I actually feel sorry for them, whoring their good name out like that. Would you believe that Wally World (Wal Mart) sells HD flashlights?? Ugliest lights I have ever laid my eyes on.

* Any knock offs of CS, Spydie, BM, MOD, et al coming from China

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

In memory of James K. Mattis

Rick
I have been using it out of my tool box for 3 years on things I wouldn't cut with a nice knife and can't even remember all the times the lock gave. It also came in handy painting my house this past summer for helping with the scraping. I would say on the average the edge lasts through about 1/2 hour tops before it needs re-sharpening. I think Schrade had a good concept but completely blew it when constructing it. As far as the Beast someone else mentioned its only a cliphanger in disguise.
Bob

My father was carrying a gerber POS tin bladed knife jack knife. I TOOK IT FROM HIM and handed him a Proto EDC
wink.gif
. He is 72 years old and works 6 days a week in his communication business. He uses the knives to strip wire mostly.
Its really sweet to scold your parents like they used to do you . DAD DO NOT CARRY JUNK KNIVES! BAD...DAD TIME OUT FOR YOU MISTER!

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
MADD MAXX !

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darrel Ralph:
I TOOK IT FROM HIM and handed him a Proto EDC
wink.gif
</font>

I wish I were your dad.
smile.gif

If there was one style of knife I truly hate, it would be the cheap butterfly knives sold at flea markets and discount stores.

The S&W knives that were made in Kingston, TN. I had one way back, it was a first class piece of junk. I hate to say that about a Cutlery in my home state, but I have to tell the truth. They did the right thing letting Gutman Cutlery, make ther more recent knives.

Those UGLY Hibben blades
That Titanic blade by Bocker!
wink.gif

Anything by Whitby 'fine' HUH! Knives!
Anything in 420J2
Franklin Mint stuff
Oh and the er... ****ty knock off blades made in the dodgy countries of the world!

Think that about sums it up.

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

My freind I was born in one of those "dodgy countries. And so you know America produces many conterfeits also.

------------------
Things may never get better, but they can always get worse.

Well, maybe I got a good Cliphanger. I won't say that it is a great knife - or even a good knife. But for the money it is not bad. I have never had the liner lock fail. Maybe I got a Cliphanger made by Chevrolet - I've had no problems with mine.

I do agree that Schrade could have put more effort into the Cliphanger line of products. I think the little clips on them are worthless, and the thumb stud is very poor - again in my opinion.

I have a small one with the partially serrated clip blade. And I have to admit that I am not particularly rough on my knives - I try to use the correct knife for the job.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Strider:
Rick
I have been using it out of my tool box for 3 years on things I wouldn't cut with a nice knife and can't even remember all the times the lock gave. It also came in handy painting my house this past summer for helping with the scraping. I would say on the average the edge lasts through about 1/2 hour tops before it needs re-sharpening. I think Schrade had a good concept but completely blew it when constructing it. As far as the Beast someone else mentioned its only a cliphanger in disguise.
Bob
</font>

In my opinion all of the SAK knockoffs and look alikes are a total waste of money - with one notable exception and that is a line that was made in the 70s and early 80s by Rodgers in Ireland or England.

But all the other SAK look-a-likes that I have seen are not even worth the $1 - $10 they normally are priced at.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by el cid:
I know many of you have knives you own but don't use either because of it's value or it's awkwardness, but, if there is one knife, or knife company you hate, which one is it? </font>

Ah! As I did not name any dodgy countries, how did you know which ones?

They are

America (any part of)
UK (esp Whitby Bay)
and Fereun (where Elminster lives)
biggrin.gif

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

I would have to say the knife I hate is not a cheap knife. I don't like the cheap knives and would never own or use one but I that is because I expect them to suck. When i saw the James Keating Spyderco knife I almost fell over laughing. That has got to be the most ugly knife I have ever seen from a great company like Spyderco.

------------------
When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when a tiger wants to muder him he calls it ferocity.-George Bernard Shaw

Comrade Chang,
Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places, (similar to my efforts to find love) but I haven't seen your name in a while. Good to see ya!
David

------------------
AKTI# A000150
NC Custom Knifemakers Guild member
NC Knife Knuts member

Back