The Mini Hatchet

Heading into town after work today for dinner a movie ( opening day of Midway, loved the original and had to buy tickets for this one ) and a little bit of shopping and I've decided to pick up some BC cold blue and blue these little guys.

Last edited:
I'll get some somewhere, but while walmart had the BC cold blue solution a couple weeks ago they didn't this time.

Not sure where else to buy it if the other walmart doesn't have it next time I'm up that way, so I'd probably have to order it if the stuff can actually be shipped to California ( I know my leather dye says not legal for sale In California on the box but I've got no problem ordering it )

Heading into town after work today for dinner a movie ( opening day of Midway, loved the original and had to buy tickets for this one ) and a little bit of shopping and I've decided to pick up some BC cold blue and blue these little guys.
You probably know this already but I thought I'd mention it anyway in case you didn't. Cold bluing involves lots of rinsing to do properly and you've already hafted them! Makes it a lot harder to do. Can you get the sticks out of 'em?

You probably know this already but I thought I'd mention it anyway in case you didn't. Cold bluing involves lots of rinsing to do properly and you've already hafted them! Makes it a lot harder to do. Can you get the sticks out of 'em?

They're definitely not going anywhere, so I guess that means I won't be cold bluing them.

I'll probably just paint on some ketchup and leave 'em overnight, the dark dull grey doesn't look that bad and it evens out over time.
That's what I did to my first one.

Well after all this time I finally got one...
j6SKn8y.jpg

QhaA53T.jpg

A good one! An old one... I just hadn't ever come across one before today. I've since cleaned it and filed out the dings. I've picked out a haft too but haven't hung it yet.
15794115473058671321159449699030.jpg
15794116084193242585421134143030.jpg

15794116390557338971508373119296.jpg
It now weighs 1lb. 2.4oz. It's a cute little thing! I'll post some daylight pictures here once I finish it. Take care guys!

Well after all this time I finally got one...
j6SKn8y.jpg

QhaA53T.jpg

A good one! An old one... I just hadn't ever come across one before today. I've since cleaned it and filed out the dings. I've picked out a haft too but haven't hung it yet.
View attachment 1267924
View attachment 1267925

View attachment 1267926
It now weighs 1lb. 2.4oz. It's a cute little thing! I'll post some daylight pictures here once I finish it. Take care guys!

What a little sweetie! :)
I've never seen a mini Kelly before. Really cool!

Hi all,

Sorry I am unable to post photos at this time. I have a rather unique/unusual Mini Hatchet Head (needing a handle). This mini Hatchet Head looks quite "similar" in design to a vintage PLUMB

"Boy Scout" Hatchet (PLUMB weights 18.65 ounces). The Mini Hatchet Head (side by side) next to the PLUMB looks noticeably smaller. The (no I.D.) Mini Hatchet Head specs are as follows :

* 2.5" Blade Face

*a FLAT (non rounded) 1.5" Poll

* 3/4" THICK (measured width of Poll)

*4.5" O.A.L.

The "Eye Hole" I believe is rather unique for a "Hatchet" in that the "Eye Hole" is shaped for a Handle type as is found on a Ball Peen Hammer. The "Eye Hole" measures (1.25"L and 1/2" W).

Despite this (no I.D./Markings) "Hatchet Head" being so small, it's weight is five ounce MORE than the likes many of the Mini Hatchets shown in this thread, Head weighing in at 13.05 ounces.

Also, for such a small "Hatchet" the Head is rather THICK! In fact, THICKER than the PLUMB "Boy Scout" Hatchet by a lot! Nevertheless, it is a pretty cool (albeit) STOUT lil' Beefy Hatchet Head!

I wonder which Company might of made this lil' 13 ounce "Hatchet" Head and, what was it's intended purpose (being so thick) ? It measures OVER a 1/2" thick (width) after the "Eye

Hole". Assuming I can find a proper handle, might you all have any suggestions as to what would be the best Handle length ? I'm think 12 to 14" might be ideal ? Thanks for any insight

help/suggestions/recommendations you may offer.

HARDBALL

Hi all,

I admit, I not very good when it comes to Fractions/Measurements. Might either of these handles be a close match for my (per above Specs) Mini Hatchet Head ?

* 2.5" Blade Face

*a FLAT (non rounded) 1.5" Poll

* 3/4" THICK (measured width of Poll)

*4.5" O.A.L.

"The "Eye Hole" I believe is rather unique for a "Hatchet" in that the "Eye Hole" is shaped for a Handle type as is found on a Ball Peen Hammer or better yet, it looks almost identical to the oval shape and size of a vintage "Stanley Rock Hammer". The "Eye Hole" measures (1.25"L and 1/2" W).

Link for viewing Photos and SPECS only : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-No...mmer-Chisel-Rock-Hickory-Handle-/223944452609

Despite this (no I.D./Markings) "Hatchet Head" being so small, it's weight is five ounce MORE than the likes many of the Mini Hatchets shown in this thread, Head weighing in at 13.05 ounces."

Overall Length - 13" Eye Size - 59/64" x 1/2" Includes - 1 wood wedge, 2 steel wedges and instructions.

Perhaps this one ?

Vaughan | Sku: 601-62 13.5" straight octagon handle, rectangle (adze) eye 1" by .5" 60162 Supreme Octagon Adze Eye Hammer Replacement Handle For 13 amd 16 oz Vaughan hammers.13-1/2" length. 1" by 1/2' rectangular eye.

Thanks,

HARDBALL

I just finished a bit rehab work on this little guy that just came in.

The overall length is exactly 10", and the total weight is just over 1lb.

I believe it's a form of barrel hatchet, and was told it's likely be an AA&T.CO product.
Made for Pritzlaff hdw.

Maybe the bomb shaped eye is a giveaway ?

I really like the handle too, they really don't make em like this anymore for sure.

Just went through this entire thread, Many great mini hatchets.
Has anyone ever came across a Collins salesman sample mini hatchet?

I'm excited to share that I just picked up a NOS collins mini hatchet... shes a real beaut!
Still has the original handle vary secure and tightly fitted! which also happens to still have a factory varnish coating on the handle, also plenty of black paint is still left on the hatchet head from its factory coating... in other words this mini hatchet was vary lightly used and is near NOS condition but its forsure been used, so cant quite call it a brand new old stock hatchet but it's for sure what I'd call a near new old stock.

Interestingly the collins mini hatchet has a rounded poll... like a Michigan pattern axe (and many of the old Vaughn mini's)... whereas my other two collins hatchets are square polled and more of a Dayton pattern.
The handle has remnants of the "collins tools" legitimus red and gold decal.
Has the standard Collins stamp on the head of "Collins" in a rectangular box.

I figure it's likely from the 1930-40s, will hopefully get some pictures posted on here for yas by the weekend.

The head has the mini hatchet eye, the collins overall head shape is similar in size to my BSA plumb national but they have different size eyes and the plumb is obviously heavier with its extended and hardened poll.

I only been a hatchet/axe junkie since 2018ish, so not as experienced as some here but in the years I've been a hatchet/axe hunter this is the only collins mini hatchet ive ever seen anywhere, cant wait to share the photos with yas...

Back