The "Mini/Micro" knife discussion

Maybe definitions need to be addressed (blade length, closed length). Some mini's are more medium sized knives. What's large and what's micro?

This small enough? :)

tPhzU3A.jpg

Last edited:
^ that's too small for me but ymmv lol.

I absolutely love the mini presidio in 440c. Sadly that was the knife that I was using at the time when I found out what DMT stones were and also that you needn't apply too much pressure when sharpening. I wore down that poor knife in 6 months.

For me a mini knife is really any sub 3 " blade .I consider a native, mini presidio just a regular everyday compact blade.

Thata a bit small for me, lol.

For me a mini knife is anything with a sub 3 inch blade. I absolutely loved the mini Presidio unfortunately that was the knife that I was carrying the most when I discovered DMT stones I sharpened that poor mini Presidio in 440c for 6 months rather aggressively learning how to Apex edges and remove wire beads. I might have prematurely wore out that knife while learning how to sharpen.

I'd also consider a native a full sized knife.

That new Spyderco McBee looks to be quite a micro knife.

My smallest folder is probably my Kizer Feist and I love small concealable fixed blades my smallest of which is my Perrin Le Shark.

The smallest knife I routinely carry is my Schrade Old Timer 30T. I don’t think I have any pictures of it. Just a little carbon steel lock back. I love the shite out of it though. Built right, no blade play in either direction, so even though it’s a whole 3” I feel secure using it.

I have both a 30T and a 50T (USA made). I like them too. The 30T was an office gift years ago from one of my associates. I carried it for a while, and then switched to a SAK mostly about then. Carried a 250T when working in the field.

I like small knives but not too small. The Dragonfly is my favorite and it's the smallest I consider useful--for me. Recently, I've discovered the Hogue small knives--MicroSwitch and MicroFlip. I normally avoid flippers but the Hogue is just so damn nice I couldn't resist. And the switchblade model is a lot of fun as well has having super fit and finish.

I just did a google search. Goood job Hogue at getting that thing to be 3 ounces! I find that I have a pocket weight limit of right around 3 ounces, but when an edc is well under 3 ounces I tend to carry it a lot more.

was that small of a blade difficult to heat treat/grind out an edge?

Easier, it's O1 carbon steel so I used files to shape it as it's so small & a blowtorch is more than enough to quench/harden it, tempering in the oven is the same no matter what size blade.

Easier, it's O1 carbon steel so I used files to shape it as it's so small & a blowtorch is more than enough to quench/harden it, tempering in the oven is the same no matter what size blade.
That's awesome for some reason I was picturing you at the grinder with that little blade held in a pair of channel locks.

I think I've been watchng too much Forged in Fire, lol.

My “baby” knives include a Benchmade Aphid and a Spyderco Squeak (Titanium Sprint Run)

I really like the Squeak. It has an ELMAX blade and feels really solid in the hand for something so small. I carry it to special functions where whipping out something bigger might make someone faint.

I have a Spyderco Bug and it is tiny. Perfect for on a keychain for the odd cut, but stupid small.

The Case Texas Toothpick and the Spyderco Ladybug are the smallest knives I actually use.

Back