The "Mini/Micro" knife discussion

To me, small is dragonfly 2 and CRKT squid. Micro is spyderco bug. I tend to prefer medium knives. Under 3.5in blade and thinner handles.

Recently spent a week saltwater fishing where I carried my Spyderco Dragonfly 2 Salt. It was all the knife I needed.

Top knife is by Keith Willis with copper pin and lanyard tube, kydex sheath.

Middle knife is a Spyderco Mini Police

Bottom knife I forgot the maker; damascus blade, smooth bone scales attached with screws and a sharkskin sheath.20181017_160801.jpg

Top knife is by Keith Willis with copper pin and lanyard tube, kydex sheath.

Middle knife is a Spyderco Mini Police

Bottom knife I forgot the maker; damascus blade, smooth bone scales attached with screws and a sharkskin sheath.View attachment 1005134
That bottom knife is it caping knife sized, the whole package is killer!

I recently bought a Bestech Zen, and that thing checks all of the boxes for me. Small, light, great action, good steel, super thin grind, pretty colors. Only complaint is that the screws appear to have some kind of threadlock and the heads are pretty shallow, can't get a lot of the screws to move. Trying to get a Factor Equipment Bit now.

I always have a Victorinox alox sd in my keychain although it is not my main knife. It is darn cute though!

The Two Sun TD41 in M390 came in
nkMDVzL.jpg

IMHO, mini knives are knives that do not have a full 4 finger grip handle, like this 3 finger SOG Ulta C-Ti.
A0oMrv6.jpg

Micro knives are the keychain variety, like this Victorinox:
kaYH1v1.jpg

I am really into smaller modern knives, 3" blade or below. Being left-handed, my collection is almost entirely custom which includes my fixed blades.

In my normal, every day routine, I rarely need a knife with a longer blade. I do own larger stuff but my smaller blades get the most pocket time.

Here are a few sub 3" bladed folders from my collection.

I'm a lover of what I consider small blades, but most here would consider micro and tiny blades. I have all sorts of tiny blades. My first tiny blade that made my fall in love with very small blades was a Kershaw Chive Rainbow colored that I bought more than 12 years ago. That also was the first flipper that I bought and made me fall in love with flippers. My left arm is paralyzed from a car accident, so that was why I decided to get a flipper. Anyway, now I have a lot of tiny flippers. I am in Brazil right now, and for a few more months, so I only brought 2 knives with me and I only brought knives that I wouldn't be too upset if they don't make it back. I have my FF/MD Gent and my small Bastion Braza Bro mini. I paid $30 for the Braza Bro mini, I believe they're $40 on their website now, and I love this little guy. It's not my favorite micro/mini/tiny/whatever you wanna call it, but it was an absolute steal for $30 and I think it's still an excellent knife for $40. It has great action and snaps out faster and harder than pretty much every tiny flipper I've ever tried.15403417025967014822606482430874.jpg

The Spyderco Dragonfly is about as small as I can go. I do have a Kershaw Launch 4 (the cool one with the green handle and stonewash blade) but I am thinking about selling it.

Look at all these cool mini knives!

I had an od2 that was awesome but I gave it away to a gentleman on this forum from Germany that was imto different lock types. The shipping cost more than the knife lol.

Back