The mods suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like all of them.:D How's that for brown nosing and sucking up?

In reality, I find them to be pretty decent. Can't really whine about them. I don't normally pay any attention as to who is a mod and who isn't.

To be honest I’m kind of in the same boat as you, the only mods I know of are the devil mod and bhyde, I just like clowning.

Ban-hammer... had to say it. One of those words that makes me smile sometimes. Like critter.

The Ban-hammer was thrown at the dirty critter who could't keep his thoughts to himself.

Bacon
Bears
Battlestar Galactica

In before the lock

6a00c2252d9b358e1d00d414467e98685e.jpg

If I were a mod, I'd move this thread to Tech support, or maybe Community, since it's not a discussion about knives. It seems to be about which members and mods we like and don't like.

Fortunately I'm not a mod, and I sure do appreciate the work they do.

If I were a mod, I'd move this thread to Tech support, or maybe Community, since it's not a discussion about knives. It seems to be about which members and mods we like and don't like.

Fortunately I'm not a mod, and I sure do appreciate the work they do.

Let's try Tech Support.

Hey! I was a school monitor :cool:, but I would not put in the effort here to be a Mod; too much work for so little return :(. Really, try to imagine this forum, and what you frequently read, without them. :rolleyes: Check out W&C if you dare :eek:.

OK, time for the old-timers to chime in. One of the OBs who was here since the beginning and part of the group Spark started those places some complain about.

On the subject of Mods, in all this time I've found them to nothing if not tolerant of the shenanigans that takes place more so in GKD than in any of the other places. Most of the Mods here have been here for quite awhile with the exceptions of the ones who moderate their own forum because they have a Knife makers membership. I can think of 1 mod who the majority here who knew him saw melt down and lose control, only 1 who exhibited megalomaniacal behavior. If you ask me, not bad for a forum as large as this with the membership we have. Even the other forum is no where near as comprehensive or has access to all the same resources, (Sorry James, I like your forum too but even you have to admit they're two different forums and can't even be compared.) I won't mention any name, if you joined within the last 3 years or earlier than you know who it was anyway.

I know a bunch of the Mods off line on other forums and chatrooms where they're not Mods and you know what? They're all the same people without their mod hats and treat people no differently there than here. I've been dinged and warned and through it all managed to not piss any of them off or make enemies of any, well maybe just that 1 I didn't name. ;) .

As for Mod sassin' like iit's been said countless times before, take it to a PM or an email if you can. You'll probably have a lot more fun with the mod and get to know them as a member volunteering their time to help maintain the quality of information and the feeling of a community of like minded people who post here.

I remember when I wanted to be a Mod, even asked the Boss himself, (you see where that got me! LOL :D Today, you couldn't pay me to be a Mod here and a lot of the Mods who were here from the beginning are still here and the ones who retired only did so because of how exhausting it can be to help moderate a forum this diverse and this big.

To the Mods of BFC, I tip my hat and raise my glass, you folks do a tremendous job with little to no gratification dealing with the likes of the membership here on the Best, biggest and baddest knife forum on the internet.

Now that's how you deal with the staff moderatin' BFC. :) ;) How's that? Did I get it right?

You know I respect and appreciate all you folks do.

Can't believe I read this crud all the way to end.
I JUST GOTTA GET A LIFE !!

OK, time for the old-timers to chime in. One of the OBs who was here since the beginning and part of the group Spark started those places some complain about.

On the subject of Mods, in all this time I've found them to nothing if not tolerant of the shenanigans that takes place more so in GKD than in any of the other places. Most of the Mods here have been here for quite awhile with the exceptions of the ones who moderate their own forum because they have a Knife makers membership. I can think of 1 mod who the majority here who knew him saw melt down and lose control, only 1 who exhibited megalomaniacal behavior. If you ask me, not bad for a forum as large as this with the membership we have. Even the other forum is no where near as comprehensive or has access to all the same resources, (Sorry James, I like your forum too but even you have to admit they're two different forums and can't even be compared.) I won't mention any name, if you joined within the last 3 years or earlier than you know who it was anyway.

I know a bunch of the Mods off line on other forums and chatrooms where they're not Mods and you know what? They're all the same people without their mod hats and treat people no differently there than here. I've been dinged and warned and through it all managed to not piss any of them off or make enemies of any, well maybe just that 1 I didn't name. ;) .

As for Mod sassin' like iit's been said countless times before, take it to a PM or an email if you can. You'll probably have a lot more fun with the mod and get to know them as a member volunteering their time to help maintain the quality of information and the feeling of a community of like minded people who post here.

I remember when I wanted to be a Mod, even asked the Boss himself, (you see where that got me! LOL :D Today, you couldn't pay me to be a Mod here and a lot of the Mods who were here from the beginning are still here and the ones who retired only did so because of how exhausting it can be to help moderate a forum this diverse and this big.

To the Mods of BFC, I tip my hat and raise my glass, you folks do a tremendous job with little to no gratification dealing with the likes of the membership here on the Best, biggest and baddest knife forum on the internet.

Now that's how you deal with the staff moderatin' BFC. :) ;) How's that? Did I get it right?

You know I respect and appreciate all you folks do.
I bow to Ted's eloquence and say...ditto;)

~Chip

Just to show how unbiased they are, after all the nice things I said not a single mod liked my post. How's that for not showin’ any favoritism?

I still believe in the “ Mod for the day “ idea. It would make a lot of people happy, if you give them all the stupid petty issues to deal with from the most whiney members. Maybe they might appreciate what these guys have to deal with day to day.

Everything for a 24 hour period would provide a revocable banning subject to a quick review by another regular mod. If the banning was legit it sticks, if not or if the bann-ee can argue his case successfully than his mark is removed. Again if it’s legit, it sticks.

I know, it’s still a stupid idea, it’ll never work, it’ll just make more work for the mods in the end.

It’s just a dream and without those what do we really have left? Right?

There are few cases that a mod likes banning anyone at least in my experience. Especially anyone that is a long time member.
Spam and once in awhile, those that decide that BF is just not for them and they go off the rails in a big way, so it becomes the necessary evil.
Sometimes, there are members that PM or request to be banned. Remember one not so long ago that requested this. He did nothing wrong at all and by all accounts, was an enthusiastic member. He just wanted out because of some personal life issues.
What do you do then? I didn't want the guilt of banning him and never being able to return, so it was a temp ban for a period of time which I won't disclose.
Some will just never fit within the multitudes of categories we have here.

Can you imagine having to deny someone that likes knives enough to become a member and discuss it for years or at all for that matter? All that time spent gone.
Even giving out infractions or warnings to people you have discussed topics with for years. Uncomfortable is a good word for it. Even if they are a newish member, it doesn't really make it that much easier.
It's especially fun when you find out people have been bashing you on social media because you had a decision to make..Like say, a temp ban for constantly being disruptive.
Yeah, we are arseholes sometimes and not perfect- We have our ups and downs just like anyone else. If that is the case, send a PM..I would much rather discuss a situation in PM than the open forums and haven't banned anyone for it despite once being told to go ef myself.
Pretty sure all the mods are open to PM's if you have the ability, of course. Profile messages also work because we can send you a PM to have a discussion in that case.

bhyde bhyde since you mention infractions and you a mod so I expect you to know these things do the points given for infractions expire do users have a "permanent record" so to speak?

bhyde bhyde since you mention infractions and you a mod so I expect you to know these things do the points given for infractions expire do users have a "permanent record" so to speak?
The infractions expire but there is a permanent record. So if there's a person who habitually causes issues any mod can see they've had repeated infractions.

If you have any you can see them on your profile on the conversations tab.

D Danke42 is right on..although, we do have the ability to modify the term of infraction. Most of the infractions have a set amount that is typically higher points value than what mods tend to hand out.
The PM's that you will get from most infractions come with a canned text depending on the infraction..most of the time it fits, but sometimes can be a bit harsher than I personally would give.
Most of the time, depending on the issue being corrected and it's your first infraction for a given rule violation, the points are removed altogether as just a warning with 0 points.
For example, in the exchange. If you have received an infraction for something like sale disruption in the past and we see it, then you will likely get some points. The more times you receive the correction, the more points the mods assign in this example.

There are few cases that a mod likes banning anyone at least in my experience. Especially anyone that is a long time member.
Spam and once in awhile, those that decide that BF is just not for them and they go off the rails in a big way, so it becomes the necessary evil.
Sometimes, there are members that PM or request to be banned. Remember one not so long ago that requested this. He did nothing wrong at all and by all accounts, was an enthusiastic member. He just wanted out because of some personal life issues.
What do you do then? I didn't want the guilt of banning him and never being able to return, so it was a temp ban for a period of time which I won't disclose.
Some will just never fit within the multitudes of categories we have here.

Can you imagine having to deny someone that likes knives enough to become a member and discuss it for years or at all for that matter? All that time spent gone.
Even giving out infractions or warnings to people you have discussed topics with for years. Uncomfortable is a good word for it. Even if they are a newish member, it doesn't really make it that much easier.
It's especially fun when you find out people have been bashing you on social media because you had a decision to make..Like say, a temp ban for constantly being disruptive.
Yeah, we are arseholes sometimes and not perfect- We have our ups and downs just like anyone else. If that is the case, send a PM..I would much rather discuss a situation in PM than the open forums and haven't banned anyone for it despite once being told to go ef myself.
Pretty sure all the mods are open to PM's if you have the ability, of course. Profile messages also work because we can send you a PM to have a discussion in that case.

There are just some people who you know from day one are going to be trouble. They enjoy pushing buttons and boundaries and their enjoyment of the forum is not knives or knife related topics, its conflict and enjoying seeing drama.
Wherever they go and whatever they do, it's what they live for.
These are the toughest members to police because every post has a potential for trouble.

I have been here 10 years and posted in numerous sections of BF. Only once did I receive a PM from a mod asking me not to broach a particular topic. I apologised, we exchanged pleasantries and we moved on.

I am on numerous forums and I have also run my own forum. BF is particularly well moderated and you really have to step out of line here to get dinged.

My thanks to you and all the mods who keep this the civilised place it is.

Can you imagine having to deny someone that likes knives enough to become a member and discuss it for years or at all for that matter?
So instead of taking the high road and getting all ticked off at the title of the thread, he takes the time to explain how a mod determines a course of action, taking individual circumstances in to account.
What the hell could else could anyone ask of a mod?
Suck? NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back