The MOST RIDICULOUS KNIFE I'VE EVER SEEN the Cold Steel G10 XL ESPADA.

You own a Tai pan? :eek::thumbup:

My friend owns a Tai Pan place:
dCig4cMDpm5iwC-640m.jpg

I didn't realize they are bigger than the Rajah 2's:eek: But it is now on my want list:D
Btw really nice pics.... care if i snag one?

Bigger than my Rajah 2 ? I guess that I'm getting one of those also. Never know when a guy has to whack a roast off a woolly mammoth.

Here in Florida, the officer would most likely ask to have a flick or two at it while he was admiring the thing. Its a freedom issue, dontcha know.

The knife itself is the perfect answer for those not wishing to tote around a 7.5" fixed blade, especially the gator trapper/hunters who are forever being harassed here by tourists. Last summer I did a short stint in a gator "resettlement" project, and actually had men no higher than my collarbone threatening bodily harm if I DARED hurt one of God's cuddly creatures.

And the law won't let us use 'em as bait, neither. Makes a man want to write his congressman.

HAHAHAHAHA yea right before he flicks the cuffs on, atleast thats my experience. i was told by a not so nice officer that a kershaw groove is more for defense than utility ( FL law states a knife must have a utility use/value and cannot be carried for defense )

but then again different cops, different countys as always YMMV

edit: Actually i just read the laws again online ( if the info is correct ) it would be legal to EDC if not concealed/ hidden

Last edited:
Hello,

I didn't think I would like the xl Espada but I must say it makes me smile when I see it next to the 1911. Compared to the Rajah2 how comfortable is the handle? The Espada handle looks a little boxy and uncomfortable.

Thanks,

Chris

I bought my wife the medium espada and she absolutley loves it. Now I have to get the XL for myself, love seeing pics of those big beasties.

You own a Tai pan? :eek::thumbup:

Yup, it's the only production dagger i've ever seen and liked.

I didn't realize they are bigger than the Rajah 2's:eek: But it is now on my want list:D
Btw really nice pics.... care if i snag one?

Yeah, you'd be surprised when you first see the knife, it's insane. Feel free to use any pics as long as credit is given.

Does anyone actually edc one of these?

I do on the weekends now, so I guess it would be a wedc. My umnumzaan goes everywhere else.

Hello,

I didn't think I would like the xl Espada but I must say it makes me smile when I see it next to the 1911. Compared to the Rajah2 how comfortable is the handle? The Espada handle looks a little boxy and uncomfortable.

Thanks,

Chris

The handle is comfortable ergos wise with a lot of different positions you can grip it in, including two handed if you really wanted to. The g10 is VERY grippy however so I don't think this is a knife you'd want to use all day long if you had baby hands, then again it's not really a knife meant for EDC tasks.

I bought my wife the medium espada and she absolutley loves it. Now I have to get the XL for myself, love seeing pics of those big beasties.

Get one, if for nothing else, get it for the novelty.

It actually serves at least ONE practical purpose--a folding chopper. It takes up little space compared to most chopping fixed blades, and the Triad Lock can handle the force. Folding machetes were issued as survival items for pilots in the Air Force at one point in time...think along similar lines. ;)

Yeah, you'd be surprised when you first see the knife, it's insane. Feel free to use any pics as long as credit is given.
Thanks!

It actually serves at least ONE practical purpose--a folding chopper. It takes up little space compared to most chopping fixed blades, and the Triad Lock can handle the force. Folding machetes were issued as survival items for pilots in the Air Force at one point in time...think along similar lines. ;)

That's what I'm thinking, maybe a good hiking/woodsbum knife especially when going light weight.

I think I would probably lean towards the rajah II for a folding woods blade, however I think the espada could handle light chopping pretty well.

After having it for a bit, I have to say, although slim, my options for pockets it will fit in are somewhat limited. I have to dress around the knife, which kind of sucks. Come pants weather, it won't be an issue, but a lot of the cargo shorts I wear have somewhat short pockets.

Might be just due to the perspective of the pictures but it actually looks like the handle isn't much longer than that of the Rajah. Is that accurate?

I like this knife but I'm afraid it would be too wide for pocket/IWB carry (not that I would carry it as more than a novelty anyway). Feel like trimming the blade height down a bit might make it slimmer and easier to carry although I'm afraid it would ruin the looks and you'd obviously lose some chopping weight.

I don't see any blood grooves. How does it do at deflecting arterial spray? (Can't be as good as Dark Ops ;)

After having it for a bit, I have to say, although slim, my options for pockets it will fit in are somewhat limited. I have to dress around the knife, which kind of sucks. Come pants weather, it won't be an issue, but a lot of the cargo shorts I wear have somewhat short pockets.

Get yourself some Wrangler Hiker shorts, the pockets are so deep I'm able to put a 10 inch Corona folding saw (10 1/2 inches folded) in them and it can't be seen. The side pocket goes all the way down to the seam.
This:
images

Into this:
0076060923786_500X500.jpg

Another cool weather pocket option for me that worked with the Rajah, and had room to spare. May work for the big Espy also.
IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

Not my cup of tea, never understood why anybody would want to carry a knife that big... to each their own.

Back