The MountainManDu Journey.

Nice vid WW!
It sure does chop well now.

Just a small thing... on your left arm... that little bit of hair left around your wrist looks funny with the rest shaved ;)

... that little bit of hair left around your wrist looks funny with the rest shaved ;)

WW is a trend setter! All the kids are gonna have that now. Great vid, now I NEED the Swamp to release this. Also if I send it to Razor Edge and ask for the "WorldWood Special" will they know what I'm talking about?

Nice vid WW!
It sure does chop well now.

Just a small thing... on your left arm... that little bit of hair left around your wrist looks funny with the rest shaved ;)

HAHA!!! Thats from all the hex hawks :D Got a patch missing from my leg as well LOL

And thanks bud, she sure sinks in much better than before!!

The chopping i did was rough on it... i intentionally went in at multiple angles, and used a bunch of force... I could feel the blade twist/torque in the board a couple times and it bounced several several times.... This isnt ideal on a thin edge.. But i want to know exactly what the knife is capable of and what its not. I did get some light edge "damage" as seen in the video, but for this thin of an edge and the way i was beating on it im not too surprised.

This is my first time using S7/SR77 steel. So im learning about the steel some as i go as well. Ill be doing a bunch more with this knife. Its very possible the edge on this could be changed again before its over.

Learning from use is one of the funnest parts of this hobby :D

WW is a trend setter! All the kids are gonna have that now. Great vid, now I NEED the Swamp to release this. Also if I send it to Razor Edge and ask for the "WorldWood Special" will they know what I'm talking about?

LMAO, thanks man!!

And im not sure if he knows me by worldwood or not, but if you let him know you want your swamp rat mountainmandu done the same way he did the last one for "Richard" im sure he will know then :D

Richard --- that was awesome man. It turned out real nice. Now I'm curious to see just how easily/quickly the edge can be restored to pushcut sharp. Let us know what sharpening system you used and how much effort it took to fully restore it. I'm not surprised by the minor edge damage at all. From what I remember sr-77 will excel in high impact situations (e.g chopping, batoning, etc.) however it's edge retention lacks compared to INFI and SR-101. On top of that, you reduced the edge angle and then had the shoulders thinned out. That's definitely going to effect a thinned out razor sharp edge. I think this knife is definitely a keeper and your video sure showed that. If you somehow manage a video showing the sharpening -- that would be amazing. Either way -- awesome video and awesome knife -- cheers brother.

-Rob Abyane

Hey dude! :thumbup: thanks for the video!

I'm curious, what did that edge geometry end up being as far as primary and secondary grind angles?

Color me IMPRESSED. Love the regrind amigo, keep us informed as the MMD goes through its paces!

Awesome video man thanks for taking the time to share.

I'm not expert but it did surprise me to see the edge damage from wailing on pine. Although I haven't significantly thinned down any of my rats yet either.
So I have a hard time envisioning how much it was thinned. Keep us posted I definately have the MMD on my radar.

Richard --- that was awesome man. It turned out real nice. Now I'm curious to see just how easily/quickly the edge can be restored to pushcut sharp. Let us know what sharpening system you used and how much effort it took to fully restore it. I'm not surprised by the minor edge damage at all. From what I remember sr-77 will excel in high impact situations (e.g chopping, batoning, etc.) however it's edge retention lacks compared to INFI and SR-101. On top of that, you reduced the edge angle and then had the shoulders thinned out. That's definitely going to effect a thinned out razor sharp edge. I think this knife is definitely a keeper and your video sure showed that. If you somehow manage a video showing the sharpening -- that would be amazing. Either way -- awesome video and awesome knife -- cheers brother.

-Rob Abyane

Thanks bud, i wasnt real surprised at the damage either. Its S7... If it was 52100 i would of been disappointed. I know what 52100 can do, even super thin. But this is my first time experimenting with S7, and i had R.E.K. take it a bit too thin. He gave me exactly what i asked for so i only have great things to say about his services. He even offered to fix the "damage" for free.... But i declined, no reason he should work for free after doing great work the first time, so i told him i would pay for the re-sharpening, and i will be sending it back to him in the near future for that.... Great guy, and he does great work too!!

Hey dude! :thumbup: thanks for the video!

I'm curious, what did that edge geometry end up being as far as primary and secondary grind angles?

I dont recall what it was at originally. Now its at 4° primary and 15° secondary with around .03" behind the edge.

Next we will be trying 17° secondary.

I know a lot of people think this is too thin for choppers, but im not one of them LOL.... Now obviously im figuring out its too thin for this steel, but i have a couple 52100 blades that perform amazingly even thinner.

The goal is the thinnest edge possible that can still hold up to the abuse, and without testing different geometry on a new steel i cant figure this out. So more testing will be done!!
Awesome video man thanks for taking the time to share.

I'm not expert but it did surprise me to see the edge damage from wailing on pine. Although I haven't significantly thinned down any of my rats yet either.
So I have a hard time envisioning how much it was thinned. Keep us posted I definately have the MMD on my radar.

I have had my chopweiler thinned down, and have beat on it way harder with no damage to the edge... But its SR101, not S7. My comp cutter is also 52100 and is SUPER thin and its been beat on like crazy with no damage... But again its 52100 with PHT heat treat.. Excellent package. 52100 is my favorite steel for the price point. Now its no 3V, Vanadis 4E, or PD1... But it also only cost a fraction of the price of any of those.

S7 has a lot of great characteristics for a large chopper, but holding a perfect edge when thinned down to .03".... Well thats not one of them LMAO

Its an excellent blade though, love the ergos and general profile of it. Ill get it fine tuned in time, and will of course share what i find!!

Thanks fellas!!

She is currently headed back for another sharpening, gunna bring it back just a tad thicker, maybe try 17° instead of 15° and see how she holds up!!

Worldwood, Great Focused collection, and really great video. I think we might be of the same mind on a few things here. I've got my wish list paired down significantly, and I' excited to get my hands on the MMD to see how I want to set it up. Thanks for being a pillar of the community!

Thanks bud!! The MMD is an awesome blade, im sure you gunna love it.

And i dont know anything about being a pillar... I just love knives that function well :D

I know we've been emailing back and forth Richard, but I figured I would post up pics here for anyone interested =) plus I would love to hear others experiences on edge stability.

So when I got it back in I removed damage by grinding stone directly into edge until mostly at the bottom of the chips/dents so as to remove any damaged and fatigued metal. Then I sharpened it on my belt sander (water cooled) to 17 dps, .040" thick at the shoulders of the edge. Then after getting permission from richard, I took it out to some dry hickory. I found the knottiest (word? lol) piece of hickory I could find and commenced to chopping away...

IMG_20150523_131731.jpg

Didn't get very far before I found this:

IMG_20150523_132009.jpg

IMG_20150523_132020.jpg

So I took it back in, but this time I took it to my Wicked Edge and put a final bevel/increased the secondary to ~22 dps... all cleaned up:

IMG_20150523_133323.jpg

IMG_20150523_133329.jpg

Then I took it back out and went to work again, finished chopping original log in half and then batonned it up, then started in on a huge piece (that I didn't finish up cuz I was getting worn out lol). Every time I hit into the large log towards the center, I could hear a "chink" like it was hitting metal or concrete, that's how hard this stuff is :) But I wasn't taking it easy... I was being a little sloppy and twisting the blade as I took it out somewhat (mainly when starting a cut). Also, When batonning I wasn't babying it, I was nailing the tip even though it was only poking out 1-2":

IMG_20150523_141347.jpg

IMG_20150523_134512.jpg

IMG_20150523_140807.jpg

After the above work I checked the edge again. Below is the worst damage I could find and it would still cut cardboard great and printer paper. although there were a couple spots where it snagged, it still made it through pretty good. Would not shave arm hair at all though.

IMG_20150523_142543.jpg

IMG_20150523_142556.jpg

After talking with Richard about the above, I am going to clean it up a tad, work the relief bevel (at 17 dps) a little bit, then finish it up on the Wicked Edge before going out. Please post up your experiences guys as I am curious. And Richard, when you get it back please let me know how it performs and holds up.

Thank you Josh for all your work and these pictures!! Really appreciate you taking the time to help get this knife to peak performance!!

And i will for sure let you how she performs!! Got a trip coming up in a couple weeks where she will get to really shine!!

Josh
If we send one in for the "Richard"" or "Worldwood" Treatment, will you know what we are talking about? Cuz it looks nice! Also WW we can't wait for the updated review

Josh
If we send one in for the "Richard"" or "Worldwood" Treatment, will you know what we are talking about? Cuz it looks nice! Also WW we can't wait for the updated review

Haha sure bud =)

Back