The Mountian Bike Thread..

Richstag--I can see what you mean. It really depends on what terrain you ride. For years I've ridden Scott Scale carbon hardtails. I'm a weight freak and mine was about 18lbs. It was great for what I do--mostly x-country and fast . No real technical stuff,but I'm older than most of you and crashing is not something I need anymore. Mine worked for me,but may not for others. Only 2 rings in frt.--no granny and a 50 big ring. I had to sell it because I was hospitalized awhile,but I'm looking for another now.Getting back into it on my trainer bike.

thetret - I understand, I personally think people should ride whatever they are comfortable on and they enjoy. I ride for the fun. It has always been just about my favorite thing to do. I worry more about riding and less about the bike. When I got my GF Mt Tam 29 in '02 it was actually my brother's influence. He is a bike nut and talked me into it. It had the top of everything in '02 and its all held up. Deore XT components, all RACE or RACE light. I love my bike. But these new ones make your jaw drop!

At least the Moots I saw at the shop. It was set up perfect to my eyes and I could actually see 6,000 dollars when I looked at it....6,000 dollars that I don't have for a bike though.

So I just ride my old GF 29er and enjoy it. Going to ride it till the wheels fall off :)

Here is GF's archive of my bike. Though some of my stuff is RACE LITE and thats not listed on GF's site.

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/344

Heres a pic I have posted before of mine
Bike8.jpg

The only difference now is the Time Atac Roc clipless pedals that are only a day old.

Nice....had a Fisher quite awhile ago too. Really liked it. Can't go wrong buying from the originator.

I ride Cannondale lefty mutt - its an aluminum hardtail frame and 2010 lefty fork with Sram XX 2x9 driwetrain.

IMG-20110427-00045.jpg

I find I prefer rougher rooty / rocky terrain and hence why I would like to switch to full suspension all mountain type bike.

The Xc stuff is uber light / shifts like a dream but its not durable / I had to replace front wheel / and front chainrings as they got bent and would not shift up on the front...

Cool Bike thread.

J, that thing looks like fun. seems like you got something that fits your style and environment.

That flexible rear triangle bike looks interesting. I wonder if any hydraulic dampening is used?

I just got my first "new" bike in a long time.
It's a Gary Fisher GED. Basically a Dirt Jump/all around play bike.
We have very little elevation to haul ass down around here.
So, I just rip around town hopping up/over/down stuff.
Feels like a puffy BMX rig.

I will probably ditch the huge fork for a nice light rigid one.
( a couple proto lights, and batteries strapped to it in this pic)

2011-07-29114435.jpg

I ride Cannondale lefty mutt - its an aluminum hardtail frame and 2010 lefty fork with Sram XX 2x9 driwetrain.

IMG-20110427-00045.jpg

I find I prefer rougher rooty / rocky terrain and hence why I would like to switch to full suspension all mountain type bike.

The Xc stuff is uber light / shifts like a dream but its not durable / I had to replace front wheel / and front chainrings as they got bent and would not shift up on the front...

I am starting to know what you mean Pauli. Riding yesterday my front hub starting making a noise. I troubleshot it at home, hoping it was just the outer rubber seals. It wasn't.. not sure if these hubs are serviceable. Now the outdated bike is going to get on my nerves...oh, you need a new wheel, oh the new wheel is set up for disk...oh you need new brakes...oh you need...
:barf:

Might as well just sell my car and get the MOOTS..:barf:

So that leads me to a question for you guys. Having never had a problem with good V-brakes, are there any inherent problems with good disc brakes that you guys have run into that you would warn about?

Thanks. Oh, and if anyone knows anything about my front hub that would be cool if you could shed some light on that aspect as far as serviceable or not.

I busted a spoke on my Mavic - the aluminum insert the spoke went into the rim sheared off - no one would fix it here it had to go to Mavic and even then it was questionable to fix it.

I said screw it and ordered new Alpine Pro rim with new lefty hub...

I like the Gary Fisher talk going on. I used to ride a Hookooekoo way back and it was stolen. Good times on that beast.

Yeah, I like GF too. The shop I have been going to for 15 years said 20$ for the front hub and 35$ for the rear (its been bad for a couple years) if they are able to service them. If they can't....well....maybe its time to sell off my drawer full of INFI...and get the MOOTS.

Back