The Mountian Bike Thread..

If you are looking for a INFI buyer, I can help you out. I have been looking for something lighter once carpal tunnel kicks in from carrying J's knives around.

So that leads me to a question for you guys. Having never had a problem with good V-brakes, are there any inherent problems with good disc brakes that you guys have run into that you would warn about?
If you are going for the Avids pop for the BB9 over the BB7. The BB9 has adjustment on both sides of the disc. I have a set of BB7s I'll send you for shipping cost (with new pads).

Wow, that's awesome! If I have to get new wheels I will take you up on that. Man, I have been getting down lately losing faith in people. Even if I don't need them, thanks so much. I really do appreciate it.

People here are different - somehow someway we care for each other - weird how it all works out..

Wow, that's awesome! If I have to get new wheels I will take you up on that. Man, I have been getting down lately losing faith in people. Even if I don't need them, thanks so much. I really do appreciate it.

Yes - that's very cool Squish!

Rich - You can always start out with mid range componentry on that Moots if thats the frame you're set on. You can save a few bucks if you're not that concerned about the weight issue.

Check out the Santa Cruz bikes too before you buy. I went with a Heckler. The weight of it is an issue for some, but when you're 6'3" and 260 a bike that weighs a few more pounds is not big deal

Yeah, thank you. I'm 6'3" and 225 so a little weight doesn't hurt. I think I may just have a problem with Bontrager. When the bike was new the front wheel kept getting a bend on smooth trails. They replaced it under warranty an it never happened again. Then my rear hub went up a few years ago. The shop told me Bontroger is known for rough free hubs but this last week of riding it got bad. Then the front acting up it just puts a sour taste in my mouth for Bontrager.

I appreciate everyones help a lot. I will let you guys know how I make out.

I can't say enough great things about my SLX hydros. Shimano disk brakes have came a long way since my first pair of xt hydros in 2003

Okay, cool thanks for the info guys. I am going to try and get up to date on my bike knowledge in case I have to make upgrades in the near future.

Great news though, I just got a call from the shop. The front hub was dirt, they were able to disassemble, clean, lubricate, and reassemble and they said its like new. For the rear hub they did the same but said while it is worlds better its still a little rough. Thats to be expected. I have ridden it a lot since it started to fail. But, the better news yet is they said, they are no longer a GF dealer, but If I can find a new free hub myself (probably cheaper) they will toss it in for me real cheap.

I guess it pays to be loyal to one shop year after year.

Thanks again though guys for all the help and offers. You all opened my eyes to what you are all really about.

Sunday 9 mile'er. Surf and terra extra firma

2011-09-25_11-10-24_388.jpg

2011-09-25_11-10-11_236.jpg

2011-09-25_11-10-04_287.jpg

Jeremy inspired me and I finally saddled my bike. After a 5 year lag. It's a 10 yrs old Merida Matts, don't remember the exact model name. Not important for me. Aluminum frame, SRAM 3.0 shifting, Marzocchi 100 mm air suspension fork. I had this one installed on custom order instead of a shitty 80 mm travel Suntour fork it originally came with. I think I'd appreciate a spring fork now (a good one), but I'm not complaining. Not at all. What I could complain about is my physical ability to ride. I thought that all the running workouts could help me riding the bike, too. Wrong! I did an hour long ride today after work and I think I would have been faster if I ran instead. The uphill ride was a severe P.I.T.A. with a lot of stops to catch my breath. I enjoyed the downhill part, however. It rained today around noon, so on my first ride after all those years I got a lot of wet roots, wet grass, slicky mud, wet rocks, eroded sloppy trails, and a bit of light jumping and drifting. With both wheels. Guess I was lucky today, or my riding technique has suffered much less than my biking stamina. We'll see. I have another field to train on. And enjoy.

662564_bf8aad1a89e37578c59b.jpg
662563_5ca83ff952ec91588d6c.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice,Filip...Congrats----the running helped more than you realize--just have to learn the techniques and it will get a lot easier...

Very nice looking trails u guys have to ride. I will have to take my phone one of these times to snap a few shots for u all.

Got me some shoes. Gonna try out the crank brothers candy pedals I got with bike and also the dx spd platforms a nice guy hooked me up with

Back