The new ROBO-DOMINATOR

Hmmm. Some of the posts on this thread has got me thinking. Questions now come to mind on the tip-down configuration of the Robo-Dominator.

I generally prefer the tip-down configuration for safety reasons. However, I wonder how this setup will workout when a flipper with assisted opening is introduced into the mix. If the knife is carried in the right front pocket, could the flipper snag on extraction--ala the Emerson wave--on the lip of the pocket and deploy the blade (through the assist mechanism) before the knife exits the pocket instead of after the knife exits the pocket? Alternatively, if the knife rides high in the pocket, could it expose the flipper to the extent that it might be accidentally engaged and, again, fire the blade open in the pocket? A poorly thoughtout safety switch--if it is part of the plan here--could negatively offset the (speed) benefits of assisted opening by adding another(time consuming) step in the process of extracting the knife and deploying the blade.

It's possible a flipper positioned at the extreme end (upfront) like the Cuda Maxx would work in this case but is not evident based on the photo posted. I'm sure Camillus has worked out a solution on these issues--can someone explain it to us? (I still want the knife anyway). Thanks.

I'm guessing that knife will kick A** at street prices! Very nice!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Lizardking,
Sorry, I don't have any clip side pics handy. It uses the same clip as the CUDA MAXX and it is attached around the pivot. Hope this helps...

Thanks for the interest!

Very nice. I've been away from BladeForums for a long time but when I saw these in the "News" section at Knifecenter I just had to come by and see. I believe I'll be picking one of these up along with a Maxx in June at the Atlanta Blade show (if they're available by then).

And if anyone's counting (Will?), add me to the list of folks that would like to see this in an un-assisted form (or at least user-convertable).

Camillus is about to become my favorite knife producer. Pour on the slipjoints and you've got me hooked. :D

Jon

I stopped by Darrel's this evening and got to see a prototype of an assisted opening Maxx! He explained how it works. They have achieved a very good balance on safety and ease of use. If you want to open the knife with the flipper, it doesn't require much more effort than on any other knife of the same style, but, to just have the knife riding in your pocket it will take some forceful and direct contact on the flipper to get past the detent. Then, if that isn't enough, the knife blade can actually open to approx. 30 degrees and it doen't fire. Even with the blade at 30 degrees open, Darrel banged the side of the knife angainst the desk and it didn't fire.:eek: As a matter of fact, the blade closed and did so every time he tested it.

Also, he said the spring will be removable by the end user. He warns, DON'T lose the spring! It will be VERY expensive to replace! :eek: He's also working on a double action!:cool:

I can't tell you how jealous I am that you can just drop by, and see da man:(
He'd have to get a restraining order one me if I lived nearby...

Thanks Dirk for the information.
The dominator and the Aftermath will open 30 digress (blade) at the present stage and NOT open. You can bang the heck out of them and they will NOT open. This is what the design is based on. SAFTEY!
We have a detent system in place on these knives. They have the standard ball detent. It holds the knife closed as most detents do.
The system Dirk is speaking of is built the same way Aftermath and Dominator work. I was just tuning the way we will incorporate them into the knives.
We are just going down all the paths to make the best system we can.

The system that Camillus has for the knives (robo) is fantastic and very safe!
The spring is removable.

The double action is still a pipe dream at this time.
If I get it developed it will come on my customs versions only.
The DA will be for the big spender!

Originally posted by Darrel Ralph
The system that Camillus has for the knives (robo) is fantastic and very safe!
The spring is removable.

Shazam.

That's all I needed to know to put this puppy on my list.

Got a Ralph/Wilson Level1 inbound, guess I'll be getting some more Darrel Ralph stuff!

Thanks. :)

-Jon

Dirk and Darrel, thanks for the info. All of my concerns have now been answered satisfactorily. It's good to know that the blade assistance is reasonably safe and can be disabled by the user if so desired. While the opening action no doubt is the "cool" factor, it's the blade material and overall design of the RD that really impresses me.

I also read the mini-review of the knife at the Equipped to Survive website which described the opening action on the Robo-Dominator. The ETS site predicts that sales will be HOT for the Camillus RD.

OK, so the next question is.... Will these be available in time for the June Blade show? :D

Jon

Originally posted by toothed

I also read the mini-review of the knife at the Equipped to Survive website which described the opening action on the Robo-Dominator. The ETS site predicts that sales will be HOT for the Camillus RD.

Here's a link to the article. The Dominator is about half-way down, make sure to click on the pics to see a view of the closed knife. (Still no clip view though.)

http://www.equipped.org/shot_show_2003_knives.htm

Best regards,
Argyll

The spring Camillus is using is a beefy piece of metal. The spring isn't going to fail. This is also a more simple design than many of the other assisted openers, so there are fewer parts. Which, means there's less that can go wrong. This is one of those designs that, when you see it, you'll smack your head and say, why didn't I thnk of this!

Nobox,
The ROBO DOMINATOR will have the same limited lifetime warranty as all CAMILLUS/CUDA products. If you have a problem, or something breaks[assuming you don't put it in a vise and snap the blade in half;) ], we will stand behind our product, period.

I sense you are for some reason worried about the durability of the ROBO POWERED assisted opening feature. Well, Darrell Ralph, Phil Gibbs, and myself are convinced that it is EXTREMELY durable. The parts inside the knife that will "do the work" are very robust....constructed very differently that other mechanisms[assisted opening] on the market. The samples we have been cycling in developement are holding up VERY well....still going strong.

Rest easy on this one:)

Back