The official 2012 christmas swap thread! Sign up now!

Getting down to the last day! Hope you all have a merry Christmas. I'm heading off to family dinner.

So, as I was leaving to come in to work to cover my half of Christmas Eve, the mail carrier pulled up in the driveway....with a box from MUDBUG!

:eek: WHAAAAT?!?! :eek:

TWO Surprise boxes, for a member who fouled out here, almost as bad as the Mayans did?

:confused: WHAAAAT?!?! :confused:

Regardless, both the boxes are safe under the tree....because it ain't Christmas yet....plus I have Willpowerfu...

And they're being guarded while I'm away, by SajikoPUG.

I also got a fine care package last week from IMWILSON, whe sent me a new Torx tool & two more custom brass machined "buttons" for 3 knives I have.

Thanx! for the kindness,here. It's been a rough year.

I opened my package last night. Almost forgot about it as my wife had wrapped it to keep the voices down. Life has been VERY busy lately and I must have been a good boy this year because Saturday my daughter, son-in-law and grandson appeared at the house after a 650 mile trip that I knew nothing about. I luckily installed a counter top in our kitchen before my wifwe came back from visiting family in Wisconsin. On the last leg of her journey she picked up her son at the Nashville airport after she landed. He is on leave from the Marines after just finishing SERE training. I had no idea he was coming.

So far my holidays have been way more than I ever imagined. Anyway...the box I got was from SomeOldFart and had some really nice things in there. There was a bunch of handle material. Red Oak from his yard. Osage Orange scales from a friend in Alabama. Whitetail Deer antler and a nice chunk of Teak from a friend who built a sail boat. The last thing was a sweet knife with osage handles that was made from Aldo's 15n20 and polished to a mirror finish.

KFU Swap.jpg

Thanks Pat. All the guys had fun messing around with the knife and the handle material will come in "Handy"...pun intended. I probably would have opened mine earlier if it wasn't for my wife wrapping the thing. So fun to watch everyone acting and feeling like kids again.

Merry Christmas All You Crazy KFU Swappers!!! Till next 4th of July-Keep Your Knives Sharp.

Pat Burns
Arcadia Knives

very cool everyone. i like to see all the personal touches people add. i must do the same for next year.

i did open my package, but alas...i am caught up in the holiday whirlwind right now. i probably won't be back home for a day or two. i will say now...thanks to monofletch for a great gift. and, i will get some pics up in the next day or two. it's a good one.

Merry Christmas all.

-todd

I hope you like it Todd. I thought long and hard before I put the stuff in the box. ;)

Here's hoping that everyone has/had a Merry Christmas!

Hal M is DA MAN hands down! I finally got to tear into those packages all wrapped up in blue this morning! In fact, my Wife and daughter got a little annoyed because I kept saying "Wow, check this out!" My wife said "Can't you wait until Lindsey (our daughter) has opened all of hers?" My reply was "NO".

I simply can't believe everything that Hal packed into that Priority Box. I have pics and I'm going to get them up later. But WOW! Dude, you ROCK. The wait to open those packages were more than worth it. Here's a sampling of what Jolly Ole Hal sent me.

A Backwoods Knife. I've seen this one before, but for the life of me I can't remember what Bill called it. It has MAJOR cool factor!
A Buck 110 with black sheath
A survival tin from Turley and Tops knives with a little tin knife included
Loksak
A Ben & Jerry's Euphori-Lock (really cool but took me a few minutes to figure out what it was for :) )
Field Notes brand Memo Book, Pen, Button and Steno book
Bromwell 6" frying pan!
A Brunton Adventure Racing Compass
Bach Rescue Remedy
A leather strop
A Spec-Ops Multi Light Sheath
Wigwam Ultimax Sock/Liners
And an emergency saw made from a chainsaw chain!

Thanks again Hal! I appreciate all the time and thought that went into this! Pics coming soon!

UPDATE:

Okay, here's the pics I promised. Hal sent the package pretty early. I thought I'd be smart and open the USPS box, figuring there'd be nothing wrapped. WRONG! I had to wait all that time wondering what each of these packages were! But in the end, it was worth the wait and then some!

HalMGifts_zps0b6bf2f9.jpg

Here's the gear. Yeah, he got all that into a medium rate USPS Priority Box!

DaLoot2_zps40ba969f.jpg

Here's the Backwoods knife. Help me out here and refresh my memory, which model is this?

backwoodsKnife_zpsb055b694.jpg

Thanks again Hal! You're a very generous and kind person and I'm grateful for everything! Also a big THANK YOU to Chris for putting this on once again! People on this forum are just the best!

Last edited:
Mudbug, I think Bill called it a "Smatchet" or something like that. I don't think Bill made more than 3 or 4. Very nice gift indeed.

Glad you like the stuff MB! I was a stress case trying to figure out what to put in there. I knew I was doing ok when I found the Tops/Turley survival tin with Turley knife. Iz's knives are going for $750 used right now on the Bushcraft site. He is en fuego over there.

I sold my Turley there because I could not justify keeping a knife that expensive and had Chris build me a KFU Kephart that I am thrilled with.

Merry Christmas!

Hal

Curiosity is killin' this cat!

26Dec2012 0945CST:My 2012 Christmas swap gifts are still wrapped securely, under the tree.

Spent the entire day w/ Middle Son & family yesterday, out of town.

Woke up to sleet, snow, freezing rain.

Today is my sweetheart's Birthday.

Boss is out of town, so guess who is on call til 27Dec2012 @ 0800 CST?

Daym beeper going off now....can't take my gifts to work....I'm thinking they might not make it thru the metal detector! 2 RISKY.

Does this make me the last member to open their Swap Gift?

You might be the last one Gnarly. I think there are a few people that we haven't heard from yet tho, so its possible they haven't opened.

ok. finally got a chance to take a pic and post 'er up. Monofletch gave me a Robert Carter custom with D2 steel and a unique "cobblestone" handle. i have never had a knife with D2 before, so i am looking forward to playing with it.

he also included a bunch of paracord and a "personal survival tool" (i.e. a bottle opener).

thanks very much John! Merry Christmas!

8310339733_a80dea3510_b.jpg

Nice! That is a great looking blade. I love d2 steel. Don't let it get too dull, because its a very hard metal.

Nice! That is a great looking blade. I love d2 steel. Don't let it get too dull, because its a very hard metal.

yeah, it said it was 61 or 2 RC. yowza! and that's what i was thinking, "I wonder if i'll even be able to sharpen this thing." :D

i will keep it touched up on a ceramic rod, i think. well...that is my plan anyway. ;)

Well, Mykel really outdid himself on my gift! I got a neat little Dmitry M fixed blade ,a boker socom wharncliffe, and a surefire 6P LED flashlight!

Thanks so much, brother! As soon as I get my computer up and running(we have been remodeling the house) I will post pics!

I got a box full! 2 knives, shoulder holster, several pouches, ferro rod and fat wood, plus lots more. Will post pics, gotta take some first.

D2 60-61 RC
7 1/8" OL
3 1/2" cutting edge
That's the specs he gave me when I ordered it. I hope it's something you will use.

D2 60-61 RC
7 1/8" OL
3 1/2" cutting edge
That's the specs he gave me when I ordered it. I hope it's something you will use.

it looks like it will be a great deer skinning knife...especially with that high hardness. should hold a good edge. now, i just need to get a deer. :eek: :D

thanks again John.

Back