The official Challenge knife thread!Makers please confirm your entry

You're certainly welcome as far as I know. WV isn't that far from the Gathering, either, you should try to come down. It's always good to meet other makers and steal - I mean share ideas :p

EDIT: it occurs to me that the testers may not have measuring tools, so I'll be bringing a rule and digital calipers in case they want to compare edge thicknesses and whatnot. Anyone have a reasonably accurate scale that doesn't need to be plugged in?

I have a kitchen scale I have used to weigh knives a few times. Is this the purpose you envisioned?

I'm in.

I'll need to send my knife off to someone who's actually attending this shindig.
Any volunteers?

Thanks,

Peter

If that is what you want to enter it should not be a problem. Just remember you will be going against knives that may push all the way up to the 5.5" line.

Hey it sounds like this will happen near me. Any chance of seeing some of this (and all the knives) in person? Exactly where and when will this be done?

Is this blade limit strict? I have a 4.25 inch long blade that would be perfect.

I really dont mind either way but I think we should stick to the rules agreed upon. That way all knives are equal.

Hey it sounds like this will happen near me. Any chance of seeing some of this (and all the knives) in person? Exactly where and when will this be done?

Ethan Becker has very graciously welcomed us to do the challenge and testing at the Beckerhead Spring Gathering in May. Here is the thread about it.

Some of the details about the Gathering are a little bit unclear, so my advice is to subscribe to that thread and see what unfolds.

Mr. Jerry Fisk will NOT be attending. He has other obligations to attend to.

He will be assisting remotely though.......

Moose

Well I have wanted to enter these challenges before simply for the experience but have always declined because of how many very good makers are represented but if you have a place for me as a new guy I would humbly like to enter. -shane

I really dont mind either way but I think we should stick to the rules agreed upon. That way all knives are equal.

I can add some length to the design. I'm just excited about getting some feedback from the forum.

Your in Shane!
Still waiting on confirmation from White Feather, Daizee, Dan Koster, and Elo147. I think we stand at 13 right now. Do you guys want to use this thread to post up pics when you complete the knives? Im going to try something different for me in this challenge. New steel, different design, etc. Im getting a new grinder this month and will be finally hooking up my heat treat oven so I want to do it right!

I agree, let's just keep WIP/finished pics in this thread, so they're easy for folks to find. :thumbup:

Whoo hoo! I will make you guys look good ;)

Same for me on something new. I entered because I knew I would learn a lot and knowing the blade would be judge by others would just add to the overall experiance. I am a new maker but very driven. Thanks for the chance. -shane

I am not sure the etiquette but here is the profile for my entry. There will be tweaks before the deadline. I hope you enjoy seeing it come to life and thank you again for letting me enter - Shane

Knife.jpg

Last edited:
I got two possibles sawed out this morning. Basically identical blades with just slight differences in handle shape. My plan is do a bit of testing as well as I have not used M4 in a couple years.

Back